Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Mercedes-Benz 190e 2.6
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've found this bad boy for sale in my area:

Mercedes-Benz 190e 2.3 1992 - Moncton Cars For Sale - Kijiji Moncton Canada.

I have set up a meeting to go have a look at it tomorrow. The owner says that the tranny doesn't shift out of first gear. It was replaced with a tranny from a 2.6 about 8 years ago and the fluid and filter were recently changed.

I'm hoping for an easy fix and a cheap car for the winter, what should I look for? could it be some oustide component that causes the problem, or is the tranny really phunked?

·
Registered
2000 C230 Kompressor, 2005 Volvo S60 T5 AWD, 1992 190E 2.3 -Totaled
951 Posts
Could possibly be that the transmission kick down switch located behind the throttle is stuck down and not releasing, causing the transmission to not shift out of first gear, this has happened before.

Possibly a modulator issue. But the first may be the most likely.

After years of dirt and grime building up, they do sometimes get stuck down, you can check just by looking and pushing on it, if it goes down, it isn't stuck, if it doesn't move, it is stuck.

·
Registered
Mercedes-Benz 190e 2.6
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Could possibly be that the transmission kick down switch located behind the throttle is stuck down and not releasing, causing the transmission to not shift out of first gear, this has happened before.

Possibly a modulator issue. But the first may be the most likely.

After years of dirt and grime building up, they do sometimes get stuck down, you can check just by looking and pushing on it, if it goes down, it isn't stuck, if it doesn't move, it is stuck.
Thank you for the tip! I'll check it out!
What about a possible vacuum leak? If so where should I look? And where is the modulator situated? What's an easy way to see if it's bad?

Thanks again for the awesome help! I'm going to check 'er out this evening. Hoping for a cheap 2nd 190!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts