Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2003 CLK320
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

Since buying my 03 CLK 320 in December I have had no problems except for when it started getting really hot out it would sputter, and shut down. Did some searching and found that it might be my crankshaft position sensor. So I replaced it, the hot weather stopped and everything was back to normal.

Recentley we have had another hot spell and Its doing it again. Yesterday I was driving and when trying to accelerate it would not go, then about 10 seconds later everything was fine. Drove for about 15 more minutes and right as I pull into my driveway it sputters and shuts down. Shut the car off for 2 minutes and she fired back up.

Has anyone else had this problem? Your help is appreciated.

·
Registered
2003 CLK320
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The car has 145000km on it about 90625 miles. The pump isnt loud at all. I just cleaned my MAF sensor like 15 minutes ago and the car perked right up. Im hoping this solved it. I guess i will have to wait to see if it does it again tonight on the drive home.

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
Hi, Pav. Please click user cp and edit details to add your vehicle and location to your profile, it's often helpful information when you're seeking advice.

Have you checked for codes? That's typically a useful first step, otherwise you're truly just guessing. You might end up there anyway, but if you have some codes that usually points towards a solution.

·
Registered
2003 CLK320
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Check Codes,

I did check them before cleaning the MAF, and I there were none.

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
CURRENT: 2011 SL550, 2011 C300 FORMER: ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
19,447 Posts
CPS failure usually doesn't cause rough running or hesitation. Generally when it fails, the engine just shuts down as if you;d switch off the ignition, or, it fails to fire when cranking. rough idle and hesitation problems are generally things like fuel pumps and MAF sensors. One way to check the MAF is when it's idling rough, unplug the MAF (of course that will illuminate the MIL) but if it smooths out, it's probably the MAF. Cleaning may help, but often, it just needs to be replaced. If you do go to replace it, get a genuine MBZ or Bosch part - don't bother with the $100 parts on eBay as they won't work.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts