Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I checked this 1998 slk230 today, it had about 90k mile on it and it is in near perfect condition. Previous damaged to front and rear fixed at dealership with original new parts. Runs with less supercharger noise than the one I had.

Upon thorough inspection I noted a vibration in rear gear (I think it is the tranny mount)
Top wasn't going up and down at first due to low battery (I stepped on the gas giving it more juice and top functioned normally). Not even a sign of leak, oil level is within norm in top cylinder pump.

Cosmetically on the outside not even a scratch, inside there was the interior paint problem as usual.

I got this feeling of SLK nostalgia... Alternatives can be a BMW 3 series or a Honda Civic coupe. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
653 Posts
If you want reliability, get the Civic.
If you want driveability, get the 3 series.
If you want fun, get the SLK.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
That is a great color. Green is good. I also like my firemist red.

If the car has a salvage title, it should be priced way under Kelly Blue Book wholesale price. Accidents, especially ones that appear on a Carfax reduce resale value. A transmission mount is easy to replace. I would get a PPI (Pre-Purchase Inspection) and repair estimate from the dealer. The noise may be something else, and there may be other problems. Of course get the Carfax report, and check the Kelly Blue Book , NADA, or Edmunds price guides.

Aren’t you in Canada now? If there is too much snow, can you drive the SLK? No way I would go from an SLK to Civic. The BMW might be better in the snow. The SLK has the most fun factor, style points, topless driving, and my vote.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks fellas, I might be able to low ball him on that deal. But in the same time I don't want surprises.

In auto check it is not showing any accident report, he showed me in a report he had that the car got reared with expenses about 10k because they had to replace trunk cover (part was ordered from Germany) and such, front damage was most likely bumper and surrounding for about 5k.
I can say the car seems to be in a good condition, there is only the problem of vibration when in reverse (I had the same exact problem on my old one before I changed mounts). It is going to be really cheap.

I have a feeling that even if I get a mechanic to inspect the car they won't know more than I would. Unless if it is a Mercedes certified mechanic.

I agree on the fact that Honda is boring, I am still undecided about a SLK or a BMW XI (good for the snow). I can get a slk320 2001 for about 10k, 2003 SL for 23k

I am so unsure!!!

By the way, last year I have been driving in the snow with no problems, thanks to snow tires.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Good to hear that you can drive the SLK in the snow. With that low front lip don’t you scoop up/in snow and ice? How is that working for ya’?

ESP is fine, and on my 2003 SLK 230.

·
Registered
653 Posts
I can get a slk320 2001 for about 10k, 2003 SL for 23k
I don't remember an SL being an option in your original post. But, if it is, and you don't mind the potential sky-high maintenance costs, I don't think anything else compares. The SL 350 lacks the electronic suspension of higher SL models, which should make it a bit less expensive in the long run.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
@dynhm6
It was something tempting after I saw it all white and gorgeous for a cheaper price than I was expecting. I must admit I dunno that much about the SL. Turns out a deposit was already paid, but the guy might not b able to finance it. In that case there is a good chance I might go for it.

I want fun, carputer will be easily transferable to another SLK, not to mention the use of spare parts...etc. I was willing to pour 5k to fix my car, if I can get another for same sum, then why not.

@DecoThom
Unfortunately custom front bumper which I spent a lot of time on was completely wasted in accident, if I was to get that cheap 1998 slk230, I will make a custom lower front grill for it.

Today I saw another SLK320 2002, it was all good, but I noted some rust on edges under paint along with some touchups. If there is one thing I hate in a car it would be rust... I recently spent 2 weekends scrubbing rust and painting primer on mine and it needed a paint job.

·
Registered
3,460 Posts
I don't remember an SL being an option in your original post. But, if it is, and you don't mind the potential sky-high maintenance costs, I don't think anything else compares. The SL 350 lacks the electronic suspension of higher SL models, which should make it a bit less expensive in the long run.
No SL 350 in the USA. Only SL 550 and SL 63 AMG.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Hi RedScorpion,

I really would like to know what happens when the SLK scoops snow and ice through the front grill area.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi RedScorpion,

I really would like to know what happens when the SLK scoops snow and ice through the front grill area.
I had this happening once last year when I ran through a thick pile of snow on an icy road during night, nothing happened to the car, it just got stuck due to snow being pressed under it. I waived to a truck that was passing by, he didn't have a rope or anything, I ended up using my scarf which surprisingly was able to pull my car out of the pile. It is a funny story I like to tell to co-workers and friends.

I didn't have a lower grill at that time, it was the partially cracked stock bumper.

I think it would be a different story with a AMG bumper.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So I checked this SL500 today.

Low battery made power windows not able to function in an optimal way. Some tiny points of rust on the car. Chipped center brake light, some dings on the front hoot and bumper. Air suspension and moon roof...etc all the juicy stuff.

Other than this the car looks fine. He priced it with license and everything for 25.8k

On the other hand I saw a BMW 328XI (4 wheel drive) ready for the road for 19K

I am so undecided :(

·
Registered
653 Posts
A white '03-present SL's my cost-no-object dream car, but it's definitely a potential money pit (which is why I opted for a white SLK).

On the other hand, I don't think there's much you can say about a 328 that isn't positive. If you began by saying you want an SL, then I'd say your decision's clear. But since you didn't, I think you may come to regret going with the SL as soon as the first big service bill comes along (probably sooner rather than later).

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
A white '03-present SL's my cost-no-object dream car, but it's definitely a potential money pit (which is why I opted for a white SLK).

On the other hand, I don't think there's much you can say about a 328 that isn't positive. If you began by saying you want an SL, then I'd say your decision's clear. But since you didn't, I think you may come to regret going with the SL as soon as the first big service bill comes along (probably sooner rather than later).
It is funny how much we know our SLKs and their problems, almost everything is DIY.
SL is uncharted territory. Yes I have been trying to get information about common problems of the SL and how DIY it is. Seems like the major area of concern is air suspension and ABC. not many DIY stuff found in the forums, perhaps the people who can afford a 2003 and up SL500 wouldn't bother getting under the car and getting all greased up.

I got to tell you, this car is HOT. I will have to be lucky if I find a cheap clean one.

I hate surprises, especially expensive ones, and I am willing to go all the way DIY if I can.

The question is, how DIY is it? (I know, not the right place to ask)

I found another one in the west cost (more than 1000 miles away), silver and cheaper by 2k, but reported repaired damage to undercarriage fixed by dealership.

As for the blue SLK, I trid to lower the price but with existing problems, the guy didn't give me a price I can take. Maybe a blessing in disguise...

I am aiming at a BMW coupe 2006 or later model along with options mentioned earlier.

I appreciate every 2 cents you guys throw into this thread, keep it coming :)

·
Registered
31,633 Posts
If you go BMW, why not go topless? My brother has one. It is very nice.
Not a bad idea if you don't get that much snow...

And RedScorpion, if you go Civic, please just ... go. :p :D ;)

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
This 328XI is a AWD coupe for less than 20k

The problem with BMW is that it is very rare to find an all wheel drive that is convertible. BMWs that aren't AWD are not very friendly with snow.

On the other hand here is a SLK320 2002 for 10k, might go a bit lower

With my snow tires it cannot go wrong.

These along with the SL are my current options. It was very eye grabbing how the SL was going up an down few inches with a press of a button with that air suspension, cool stuff!!!

Honda is not likely to be a ride for me this time :p

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
About this Discussion
21 Replies
7 Participants
RedScorpion
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing