Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1995 E320T with C36 motor and 6-speed, 1985 190E 2.3-16v Lotec, 1973 350SLC euro/manual
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

Never posted in the W126 forum before, so I apologize in advance for anything unwittingly asinine.

I have a '67 Ford Falcon 4-door that originally came with a 2.8L straight-6 engine and a 3 speed cruise-o-matic transmission. Manual brakes, manual steering, completely baseline car. About 2 months ago, I blew up that engine, and spent the time in between dropping in a Ford 302 and C4 transmission. Now it's a great running car again, with far more power than I could possibly utilize, not enough handling to properly hoon, and still achieving 20mpg. At this point I'm considering lowering the car and doing a 5-lug/disc brake conversion with some stiffer springs.

Now you're wondering why I'm posting on this forum. A couple days ago, I stopped into a car lot in a rather shady part of town because I noticed they had a similar Falcon by the road, as well as quite a selection of Mercedes further back. The owner of the lot immediately fell in love with my Falcon, and offered to trade me for either a 560SEL or a 420SEL. The 420SEL in question is an '87, and was in a front end collision. The car was straightened and rebuilt at the shop, so it's out of question, as I don't really trust the place that much. The 560SEL has 166k miles and was supposedly a daily driver until the ignition froze up. I told the guy I'd consider the trade if I could drive the car first, so he's currently fixing the ignition for me. I'm not sure of the year, but supposedly there's nothing else wrong with it. So I was really hoping you guys would be able to let me know what to look for when I go over the car with a fine-tooth comb before I consider the trade. I've had a 190E for a couple years now that I've done an engine/transmission swap on and a complete suspension rebuild, so I have a fair bit of Mercedes experience.

tl;dr
I have a chance to trade my Falcon for a 560SEL with 166k miles. I'll have a chance to check it out before the trade, and I want to know what to look for and what's acceptable. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
I'd bet the falcon is worth a whole lot more than the 560. The average 560 sedan with that kind of mileage is going for maybe 3k nowadays. I'd hold on to what you have and make the improvements you plan on.

·
Registered
1995 E320T with C36 motor and 6-speed, 1985 190E 2.3-16v Lotec, 1973 350SLC euro/manual
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's good to know, thanks. I've put about $2400 into the Falcon, including the purchase of the car. It's been in Michigan it's entire life, but it has surprisingly little rust. I did have to cut out and replace the rear frame rails, and with the new engine and transmission, it's far from original (Falcons didn't come with the 302 until '69). As it sits, it's worth about $3k itself, but with the disc brakes and beefier suspension, it'll probably be worth a bit more. The Falcons were never terribly desirable cars though, and it only is now because they're so damn rare in Michigan (because of the rust issues).

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
Unfortunately I don't get my license back until the end of October, otherwise I'd drive right up there and see if you wouldn't want to make a trade for mine. My cousins have a place up in Holland.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I listed the Falcon on craigslist to see if I get any bites. Not particularly looking to sell it, but I wouldn't mind a different project car after 3 months with it (and mostly just to appease my mother, who hates the thing). Can't argue with a Benz for safety.

1967 Ford Falcon 4-door

·
W201, W212, W221, & W222 Moderator
'84 Euro 500SE, '85 Euro 2.3-16, '51 Euro 170S, '97 Jeep Wrangler Sport, '15 G63 AMG
8,509 Posts
That is a great looking car! Please keep it and bring it back! Then I'll buy it from ya :p

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, I just so happened to get a promotion today, as well as a full-time schedule. Sure, it'll take up more time, but it'll double my pay, if not more. That should give me the funding necessary to hang on to the Falcon and keep working on it. And you really can't turn down a promotion from the most valuable corporation in the country. Anyone know where to find a 500SLC in the states? I've always wanted one of those...

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
Nice! SLC's aren't too uncommon, you may have to look across the country to find a good one though. They were only made up until 81... You're probably most likely to find a 450slc 5.0. Actually I just remembered, there has been one with a supposedly brand new transmission and engine rebuild on craigslist around me for real cheap because it needs some cosmetic stuff... I'll try and find it.

Here's one, not the one I was thinking of, but a cheap project if that's what you're looking for.
http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/cto/3221813374.html

and then there's this one, which is a bit pricey. Check Chicago CL every once in awhile, there has been a really good looking one up for sale on and off.
http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/cto/3219654250.html

·
W201, W212, W221, & W222 Moderator
'84 Euro 500SE, '85 Euro 2.3-16, '51 Euro 170S, '97 Jeep Wrangler Sport, '15 G63 AMG
8,509 Posts
The SL/SLCs are capturing my heart the more I see them. There are always a ton of SLs for sale around here.

·
Outstanding Contributor
1989 560SEC, 1989 560SEL, 1995 E420
4,470 Posts
Mack,

There's an SLC 5.0 down the street from me at a shop. It's been outside and unmoved for years. It belongs to a customer but she never paid a bill so it just sits.

I tried to help her out once to get it going but she wasn't that interested. So it just sits.

Might be a hassle worth pursuing...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts