Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just to give some background, I currently drive a 1997 BMW 740iL. I used to be an auto tech for about 7 years, and I also used to sell used cars.

The E38 is a fun car, and I love the looks, the room, the performance, and the handling (which is surprising for a 4,200lb car). But I'm currently looking for something a little more fuel efficient, and something made before 1996.

I always liked the style of the 190E and 300E Mercedes, but I just never looked into buying one before new. I found an automatic 1993 190E 2.3 within a few miles from me with, get this, 819,000 miles on the odometer. :eek:

The dealer is asking for $1000, but with that mileage, I'm sure I can get him to go lower. Obviously I'm a little skeptical, as I used to fix and sell cars, so I know what some people are capable of doing, though usually when someone changes the mileage on a car, they go lower rather than higher. The outside looks good and a quick glance on the inside shows that it held up pretty well for being a 20 year old car that has as many miles as it would have if it drove around the equator more than 33 times. :D

I normally don't care about mileage when looking at a car. I care about what shape it is in. But I've never had a car in front of me with this many miles. I will test drive it today to see how it is running and how it drives on the road. I'm assuming maintenance costs will be around what they are for a BMW, so I'm not concerned about this, but I'm curious if there are any areas I should pay special attention to.

The more I look at these cars, the more I'm liking them. I'm pretty sure I'll get a 190E or 300E whether or not I buy this one. I've replaced motors and transmissions in cars before, but I've never swapped one for a different model than what it came with from the factory. I'm curious if a motor swap from a 2.6 or 3.0 would be difficult in a 2.3 190E? From what I'm gathering on this site, the 5-speed swap isn't that difficult, so I'm not concerned about this, but I'm thinking I may miss the 300hp from my 740 after driving the 190 for a while, and I want to know what my options are before putting any money down.

·
Registered
'87--190E 2.3-16v(being rebuilt), '99--C230 Kompressor
3,488 Posts
where are you located? i remember someone else talking about this car...the 819k stuck...it was owned by a pharmaceutical rep of something...

for that price i'd buy it...run the hell out of it then contact MB in germany and see what they will give for a 190e with a million miles

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
where are you located? i remember someone else talking about this car...the 819k stuck...it was owned by a pharmaceutical rep of something...

for that price i'd buy it...run the hell out of it then contact MB in germany and see what they will give for a 190e with a million miles
Charlotte, NC

I just went to look at it.

The motor started up right away, and it held idle pretty well, though it did sputter on a few occasions. When I shift the car to Reverse, the motor sputters for a few seconds, then it comes back to normal. Same for Drive. Also, when hitting the gas, it sputters between 1,500 and 3,000 RPM. All this was while the car was sitting still. I didn't test drive it yet. There is no knock.

What do you guys suppose would cause this in a 190?

The two windows on the right side don't work, and neither does the sunroof. I didn't hear the motors, so I'm assuming that either the switches don't work, there is an issue with the fuses, there is an electrical issue, or the motors are toast.

What do you guys suppose would be the worse case scenario, as far as price, to fix this.

The A/C doesn't work either. With the A/C button depressed and the thermostat in the blue at about 60, there was only hot air coming out of the vents. The motor changed RPM when the A/C was turned on, but no cold air. I'm not too experienced with A/C systems, so I'm thinking it could be any number of things, between a simple charge, or possibly a clogged line or a bad compressor.

My only hesitation as of right now, as far as purchasing this car, is the hesitation in the motor. If it is a common issue with an easy fix, I'm fine with that, but with the mileage on the car, and my lack of knowledge with this model car, I thought I'd bring it up here first.

What do you think could cause the hesitation?
What do you think could cause the two right windows to not work?
What do you think could cause the A/C issue?

And how much $ would you estimate as a worse case scenario for each?

Thank you. I'm seriously thinking of buying it.

·
Registered
2000 :W220 - 1986 W201: 16v Nam,16v Euro- 2002:SL500 Silver Arrow.2002:Avalanche-
2,263 Posts

I did remember this car and very much for sure it is..
Buy it and proud of it mucho mileages ...:thumbsup:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Buy it and proud of it mucho mileages ...:thumbsup:
I'm seriously thinking about it, but I'd like some reassurance that these issues can be fixed easily.

I've been doing as much research as I can on this model of car since yesterday, and I wouldn't mind buying this one, its just that I don't want to buy it and then find out that I have to immediately spend a few thousand dollars to get it working right.

I'll be doing the work myself.

My biggest concern at this moment, is the sputtering when shifting to Reverse and Drive, and when hitting the gas while parked. Could the hesitation/sputtering be the IAC? Is this common on these cars? The motor started right up and was pretty smooth while idling, so I doubt it's the head gasket.

More than likely, if the motor and transmission work right, I'll go ahead and buy it, being as cheap as it is. But I'm doing as much research as I can until Wednesday of next week, when the dealer will put it in a public auction if nobody buys it before then.

I appreciate any ideas on the issues reported, as well as any links to parts distributors and retailers with good prices for OEM or similar quality parts.

·
Registered
1991 190e 2.6 automatic
760 Posts
I'm seriously thinking about it, but I'd like some reassurance that these issues can be fixed easily.

I've been doing as much research as I can on this model of car since yesterday, and I wouldn't mind buying this one, its just that I don't want to buy it and then find out that I have to immediately spend a few thousand dollars to get it working right.

I'll be doing the work myself.

My biggest concern at this moment, is the sputtering when shifting to Reverse and Drive, and when hitting the gas while parked. Could the hesitation/sputtering be the IAC? Is this common on these cars? The motor started right up and was pretty smooth while idling, so I doubt it's the head gasket.

More than likely, if the motor and transmission work right, I'll go ahead and buy it, being as cheap as it is. But I'm doing as much research as I can until Wednesday of next week, when the dealer will put it in a public auction if nobody buys it before then.

I appreciate any ideas on the issues reported, as well as any links to parts distributors and retailers with good prices for OEM or similar quality parts.
could be a vacuum leak check the idle control valve and hoses for vacum leaks and check around throttle body housing rubber hoses or any vacuum hoses

·
Registered
2000 :W220 - 1986 W201: 16v Nam,16v Euro- 2002:SL500 Silver Arrow.2002:Avalanche-
2,263 Posts
There is a clean ( Looks clean) Blue W201 listed on F/S forum today..check it out man.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I test drove it today and put gave the salesman an offer. He said that he needed to run it by his boss first, so it's all in his hands. I'm waiting for his call.

When driving it, it sputters off the line until the RPM gets higher. It also shut off on me a few times while in the parking lot. It feels like a vacuum leak, so I'm not all that worried about it. I'll be sure to use this site's knowledge base to diagnose it if I get the car.

If I get a call with a counter offer not far off from what I offered, it will be bought. Wish me luck. If I get it, I'll put some pictures up.

First picture will be showing the odometer. :D

·
Registered
92 190E 2.6
499 Posts
also check out 190rev.net there is a lot of great info there as well.

And welcome to the curse of the 190! I am currently on my 7th one, and though it needs a good deal of work, and I continue to look around on Craigslist for something else, but there is not one single car on CL for under 3k that I would rather have over my 190.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts