Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
'87 420SEL '89 300E
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was there any W126 that came with posi? And will it fit on a 420 without modifications (or minor)? Or does anyone have some posi part numbers?

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
Limited slip..all the US 560's come with 2.47 LSD's. Or, you can get a gleason posi unit, but they are A. hard to find B. Often pricey.

Jonathan

·
Registered
'87 420SEL '89 300E
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I thought that the 560's came with 2.65 and the 420's came with 2.47... any way. I helped a friend of mine "build" a w201 (190E) with a few mixed match pieces one of which was a posi rear end from a 190 16v, and I was hoping that there would be some cool w126 posi that I could use. I don't NEED posi, I just think it would be cool to have!!

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
Nope, 2.47..only 560's in Japan could get a 2.65. 16v isn't a posi, but a limited slip.

there are cool rears out there, the gleason bits. You just missed out on a 3.06 Gleason, 1600 which is Very, very cheap.

Also, w/ a stock 420 you don't really have the power to warrant/really have use for an LSD rear quite yet ;-)

Jonathan

·
Registered
E320
2,798 Posts
is there a difference between posi and LSD, or is posi just the 'muscle car guy' term for LSD? my euro 500 is a 2.47 LSD, right? i believe that's what talbir said. or is it only 560s that have LSD? seems to me that since my 500 was the flagship in 84' that it would have LSD, but i could be wrong.. i know that typical manufactuers will use cooling fins on the pumpkin of an LSD and none on an open diff.

·
Registered
1991 350 SD, 1984 500 SEC, 1982 280 SE Euro
48 Posts
I belive that the name posi came from chevy but they are the same. Do the US 500 SEC's have LSD rears?? I just got a 84' and was wondering.
Thanks

·
Registered
1985 380SE
1,293 Posts
I was under the impressoin that LSD limits the power to the spinning wheel, while posi does that plus increases the power to the wheel with traction. Also, some units that people call posi help with braking too.

·
Registered
E320
2,798 Posts
an LSD puts power to both wheels under acceleration, while also allowing variable speeds off throttle while cornering. it all depends on the design of the LSD. i'm hoping MB used a clutch type, and not the old BS viscous crap, right?

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
Nur, your car should be a 2.24, not 2.47. Positraction rears put the same power to both wheels all the time. Yes, Mercedes uses clutches...although I really like the idea behind their ASD..esp. if one rigged it with an on/off switch on top of it's usual contorl.

It is my understanding the US 500's do not have a LSD.

I used posi in a loose sense for the gleason, it is really a more aggressive/different style of LSD.

All the 126's to my knowledge have finned covers.

Jonathan

·
Registered
'87 420SEL '89 300E
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Not all the w126's have finned diff covers (maybe the U.S. versions did), I found an Euro 280 SE in the junk yard and pulled bumpers, headlights, vacuum system for the headlights with switch, euro door lock pins, and the wiring for rear fog lights! I also pulled the rear end thinking that it was for a smaller I6 that it would have a taller gear, and it did but the mounting points were way off, and that diff cover was not finned.
And I don't think the 380's had it either... but I have been wrong before!

·
Registered
1985 500 SEC, 2005 E320
1,294 Posts
well, in the old days, we used to weld the spider gears to make a single, a posi for some race cars we had. problem with doing that, is it tends to plow, in hard turning, especially in the rain. not reccomended unless you are experienced driving with it that way. but it's an option. Keep in mind, you can't undo it. some purists are gonna freak at the suggestion even. So don't flame me too hard. Keep in mind, this was in the 80's mainly with english sports cars where we didn't have posi options to work with. I repeat. I don't reccomend this unless you have a spare rear, and research it well to see if it can even be done with these rears. I never actually had one apart before, so I don't know the gear configuration inside one.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts