Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
SLK 230
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just about to order a set from Jerry, and ship em to UK. Jerry mentioned that there is a process to stop the brakes making a noise. Anyone who has these pads, did you go thro this process, do you only do it once ? Also, anyone not do it experience brake noise ?

·
Premium Member
SLK 230
1,498 Posts
Hey Mike,
What is the process for the pads?

Also do you know of a slate quarry / mine in your area?

·
Registered
98 SLK230k/02 SLK32
742 Posts
There a suggested break in process, anytime after a brake job.

There are varied ways to minimize noise, proper break in procedures are one way, combined with additional installation 'tips'. Here are the ones recommended from Jerry's site.

http://www..net/6_Steps_to_Quiet_Brakes.asp

I have done steps 1-5 for years, but not necessarily with the specific products mentioned, AND always have done step # 6.

btw...regarding a quarry, I am about 5 miles from Avondale Pa, they have quite a few working quarries in that area. Are you looking for anything in particular ?

·
Premium Member
SLK 230
1,498 Posts
Lello,
10 to 12 tons of random slate to deck in my pool.
Thats like 10-12 pallets.
Want to get it wholesale, direct ship via semi truck.

Thanx.

Got a friend at a quarry?
[:)]

·
Registered
SLK32, ML430
6,349 Posts
I have two complete sets of porterfield pads. I followed the process on the SLK and have a squeak from the rear. On my ML I did nothing, I did not even use the non-squeak paste and they are as silent as can be.

·
Registered
'99 SLK 230 - White
237 Posts
I followed the process and have never had noise from my Porterfields. They work great! I too got them From Jerry.

-NJ CoolBreeze

·
Registered
SLK 230
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanx guys !! The pads arrived today (wow, ordered friday evening and arrived monday morning, USA to UK!)
I am not gonna fit them myself, will leave that to my trusty workshop. Will let you know how it goes on thursday !

1 - 8 of 8 Posts