Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1988 U1300
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's a straight forward process that you've got right. For the refill I like to use a large syringe with rubber hosing attached to the end as it gives more control, and the volume can be monitored. I find those squishy bottles to be clumsy to manage, slippery, and difficult to get above the fill hole for a gravity feed.

·
Registered
1976 406 w/ backhoe and dozer blade, a small collection of implements too
1,411 Posts
Your technique and the syringe are all good.

I drain the portals like you do, have magnetic drain plugs so I can monitor the bearings and use an old oil can for filling which I keep in my tool kit, full, for top offs if ever necessary whilst out and about.

Many ways to skin this cat. You've done good.

Attachments

·
Registered
'62 Unimog 404
131 Posts
I use an old coolant jug with the bottom cut out as a catch pan. I left about a 1/2" lip so that it has something to catch on behind the portal box/backing plate and prevent oil from leaking out when the jug is set flat on the ground.

Attachments

·
Registered
1976 406 w/ backhoe and dozer blade, a small collection of implements too
1,411 Posts
That is an excellent idea/technique.

I'm going to change my drain routine right off. Just changed coolant too, so have jugs.

Thank you

·
Registered
2001 W163 ML270CDI / 2006 W164 ML500 / 1986 U1300L Unimog
185 Posts
Portals, gear boxes, diffs etc I always fill from a weed sprayer. I find it much cleaner and easier. For draining I just lean a half piece of Pvc pipe against the wheel under the portal. The other end drains into an oil change pan.

·
Registered
85' U1300L Holset Turbo VA A/C, 66' Propane 404.1 rock mog, 1975 416 Doka, G500, Volvo C303
4,998 Posts
You know what has me confused, lately people have been referencing the full and drain holes on portals a bit oddly. There seems to be this terminology of drain, level and fill holes. Though this is not totally inaccurate, there really is just a drain and two fill holes. You can use the second fill hole as a level hole if desired. I usually just fill until full and let any excess drain out the fill just until it comes to a slow pour and then cap it off.

Not trying to be picky or anything, just curious if newer owners are being misguided on what each plug is for and that there is not some mysterious 4th plug for filling. There was another guy a few weeks ago that sounded like he was using the drain hole as a level hole. Just sayin, make sure you are properly filling your portals.

·
Registered
U1300L
52 Posts
Cool ideas.

I’ve been able to catch most of my oil just using a water bottle. No there is a little bit of a drippy mess here and there.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts