Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Unimog Moderator
13,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know the ID and OD of the Portal breather hose, the rubber part that goes on the front portal hard line to the hardline on the axle? (basically what do I ask for in NAPA?)

One of mine has cracked and I cut it and fixed it, but its a little short and I don't trust it since its probably due to be changed just because of its age. I'm going to pick some up when I'm in the city today, but my old one is to swollen/old to get a good measurement.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,959 Posts
I can't help on size, but I would consider vacuum line.

The portal side is easy to yank off in the parking lot so you can find the right size in the store.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
i've used 1/4 ID hose before. try to get a fuel line or something with good structure for durability.

·
Unimog Moderator
13,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If its worth doing, its worth doing right

After going to NAPA and seeing the OD of the 1/4" fuel line they had (it was pretty thick walled), and that 1/4" is 6.4mm, and striking out at the local Mercedes dealership, I hopped online and did a little research. VW's (the older ones) use 5mm fuel line, so I contacted an independent shop in the city that is well known and specializes in the older VW's, and they had 5mm rubber, with braided protector in stock (bulk, so any length I wanted), so I had my buddy pick some up since he was in the city. That should last as long as the factory stuff.

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts