Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have an issue with my 416 where the left Frt. portal seems to be dumping oil through the breather into the frt. diff. The portal requires regular top up even though there are no signs of external leakage and the frt. diff. ends up being overfilled. The transmission has not needed to be topped up for some time so the extra oil in the diff. is not from the trans.

Truktor,
when we met for a beer on your way through town, you mentioned this as a known issue, can you give me details on what has been documented on this?

·
Registered
408 Posts
If air pressure is leaking past 2 rubber locker piston seals that would pressurize the portal box and possibly force the oil out the breather tube.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I do not have any detectable leakage from the lockers. This will happen driving around on the streets in 2wd. I have removed/cleaned all of the tubes between the left frt. portal and the axle housing, and also verified proper venting of the axle.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I do not have any detectable leakage from the lockers. This will happen driving around on the streets in 2wd. I have removed/cleaned all of the tubes between the left frt. portal and the axle housing, and also verified proper venting of the axle.
I read somewere that the oil from the portals can suck(capillar or so) into the diff by those breather hoses. Some german engineer has solved this with a after fitted kit. Has seen it here somewere i believe, cant remember where.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts