Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2005 E500 with Appearance Package
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the market for a reasonably priced portable GPS unit that I can use in my 2005 E500. Interestingly enough, though, I have been reading reviews on units and alot of the users complain about the windshield mounting brackets and how you have to be careful to get a unit that works with the angle of your windshield.

Does anyone have feedback or use a GPS in their E class? Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
E500
708 Posts
I bought the garmin 530,, you will see the same unit in the mercedes accessory case at the dealer with the mercedes star on it, I stick it to the windshield just by the mirror and drive on.

But that was just my choice, others may have a different viewpoint. Jim

·
Registered
2006 E320 CDI
4 Posts
I have a Garmin 2820 that I use with my motorcycle. I used it in my E320 just to test it out awhile back (My E has the nav system) and it worked fine. It comes with a "sandbag" you mount the unit to, then you can put it on the dash. The 2820 comes with integrated Bluetooth that you might find useful as well. I wish the unit in my car worked as well.

Ed

·
Registered
220 Posts
I bought a TomTom 510/710. ( on sale for $299 shipped )
Quite happy with it. My winshild mount has been working fine.

When I just moved to Seattle, I been through (test) Tomtom One, Garmin C330, Garmin C530, Garmin Nuvi 350, Magellan 2000, MIO CX310.

(all around $300 price range other than Nuvi 350) Then I stay with Tomtom 510/710.

TT510 does NOT have TTS function, but more like " 300 yard turn left"
*This actually works better for me, because I hate looking at the Street tag at night!!!!!!!!! *
If you are a golfer, you will like TomTom's "yard" vs Garmine's "feet" warning.

There are many portable size GPS, Such as Tomtom one, Garmin Nuvi 250. They are great but the battery last no more than 2 hours continue use.
(that's only reason I returned Gramin Nuvi and TomTom one, because I don't want power cord hanging over my center console)

TT510/710 has 8 hours continue using time and half full charged within 15 min. . And They constantly give free update map. Such free DVD map is downloadable via net.

Other than that...make sure you bought the newest SiRF III - chipset. (it is 20 channel system) Response rate w/ weekly SAT Position Update, TomTom home software provide weekly update, is less than 10 seconds cold start.

Bluetooth on Tomtom 510 is pretty easy to set up, though, I find it drain too much battery power. Removing Tomtom 510 off the mount is very easy (single hand action)

Start up and shut down screen can change to your AMG or Mercedes logo.
Lithium Ion Battery is easy to replace by yourself......(well, if you know how to solder, it is simple. And 2600mAh battery cost around $8 only)

Menu setting is also "modify-able". Mio CX310 is by far the worst one to navigate around.
Garmin'e map browsing is bit too slow. Most people in the U.S. Would preferr Navteq, but TeleAtlas in Tomtom is quite nice for me. (I really haven't any problem with it.) The TomTom Home make it easy to creat your own POI or Favorite folder.

my start up and shut down screen :)

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts