Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
79 Case 406
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I have been struggling with what to give up for getting a mog to plow with, occassional 4 wheel with and to drive to Home Depot on occassion.

So tell me what you would pick. This poll somewhat for fun and somewhat a real question.

Would you take Group A

79 911 SC Coupe in great shape and a 79 Case 406 with a plow

Or GROUP B

The more expensive U1200 with the turbo, more creature comforts and room for three ?

You can only pick one group.

Thanks for playing along. Steve

·
Registered
1987 U1000
583 Posts
Hmmm... tough choice, they both look like beautiful trucks... and your car in sweet, but I'd vote for the SBU. The important thing is you'll be getting a Mog !! And remember diesel is cheaper than high octane gas so you actually be SAVING money !

GB

·
Registered
1991 1250L Doka Unimog, 2002 ML320
1,268 Posts
What makes the wife happier? Mine let me get the truck first now I'm working on the 911. I'm really not complaining..............

·
BenzWorld UNIMOG statesman
Unimog 404.1 Diesel (sold :( )1995 LMTV 1078
5,857 Posts
I say porshe and 406. Not much offroading but High Desert you can do in that big SBU. Colarado is not exactly High Desert.

406 parts are cheaper too.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I don't know what to say, I have group A, I will keep things to a minimum for the obvious but I read many times that the only thing a Porsche is good for is to get you in trouble, I can vouch for it, is so true, my new Porsche spent over 5 months in the shop last year, and I can say I am a lucky guy with a charmed life, like an idiot a few years earlier I traded a new Porsche for a newer and faster Porsche, why push the meeting with the creator, is going to come sooner or later, preferable later.

Now I developed an appreciation of the slow virtues of a 406, the only thing lacking is the right scenery and playground and I am working on it.

·
Registered
'79 Flat Bed 406
206 Posts
Group A, only get rid of the Porsche and buy all the attachments ya need/want! ; )

Dave

·
Registered
'78 Mog 416.141 DoKa
3,420 Posts
A.

Mogs are fun to work and wheel but man sometimes needs to go fast...

·
Registered
406/280GE/240GD/G320
925 Posts
Yup, group A!

the fact that the choice is a 911SC makes it affordable to own, they are bulletproof!
most cheap to own and easy to enjoy porsche ever!

OK so they both look like awesome mogs, so which ever one you go for, let us know who's selling the other one!!

·
Registered
79 Case 406
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
mserpe said:
Yup, group A!

the fact that the choice is a 911SC makes it affordable to own, they are bulletproof!
most cheap to own and easy to enjoy porsche ever!

OK so they both look like awesome mogs, so which ever one you go for, let us know who's selling the other one!!

Those are not the actual mogs I am interested in. These are nearly identical substitutes of the ones I am currently considering.

That is my Porsche of 20 years though. And yes, it is bulletproof, pretty fast, fun and a real head turner for its age.

Thanks for all the input, it is very interesting to hear others' opinions.

E-steban

·
Registered
U1600AG + a LR 90
995 Posts
If you get a mog in the summer and Mrs E-steban likes to “go commando” with skirts/short dresses she may well have to radically changer her style of vehicle departure vs. a 911 in order to maintain her dignity :eek:

·
Registered
'78 Mog 416.141 DoKa
3,420 Posts
So Steve, I see you're now the proud owner of what looks like a decent 406 ! I assume you looked it over in person before you bid ??

That was a MUCH better deal then that mega-dollar airport 406 ! Good Job !!

·
Registered
79 Case 406
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I am now the proud owner of -

and I kept the 911 SC too.

Yes, I did go and check it out in person. It was in great shape inside and out. And yes it did have the wrong wheel on the front left but no prob as the spare is correct and has a new tire too.

As much as I wanted a 3 seater turbo SBU, I could not quite justify the $36K + it was going to cost me with transport and customs.

The mog I bought was right in my backyard. The gentleman who owns it lives about 10 miles from me and had the mog at his cabin 150 miles to the south in Westcliff (one of the prettiest places in Colorado IMO) at the base of the Sangre de Cristo Range.

This mog was also an airport mog (no rust) prior to being restored in Golden by Linden Engineering. Now tell me the Mog G_ds are not telling me something when I also am building a house in Golden at this very moment. See my avatar. Dennis the owner of Linden told me all about this truck and what was done to it.

So for $18K I think I got a way better deal than the $37.4K Dupage Mog !!
I have a stock hood on the way in the same color to replace that funky scoop one. Anybody want to trade for the scoop hood ? Now I just need a snow plow and some two speed power take offs.

The fire suppression aparatus could come in handy too considering we are soon moving to the "Wildland/Urban Interface." Remind me sometime to tell you about how I had to run an election to overturn 3 of 5 board members on the local Fire Board to get my building permit. Again, fate works in strange ways. Wait until the Golden Gate Fire Protection District Board and Department sees this thing, they're gonna SH#T.

I will be driving the mog back via 170 miles of some very, very cool back 4wd and back Rocky Mountain dirt roads. I know the back roads of this state pretty dang well so it should be an interesting trip (and report) for those of you who like Colorado. Part of the trip will take the mog and me via the little known route Juan Bautista De Anza used in 1779 to defeat the Comanches in present day Colorado Springs. I'll post a report about the drive and take my sleeping bag and tools just in case.

Anyways, I am pysched but unfortunately the seller told me he cannot get down to his cabin to deliver until May 23rd. I'm gonna push a little harder on him though cause I don't think I can wait that long.

Thank you to all who helped me with advice, support, information, and patience while I went through this process. I am sincerely grateful and hope to add something to this site.

Thanks, Steve

·
Registered
75 406
60 Posts
Congratulations,
I think you will be very pleased with your new mog. Also, keeping the 911 was a good idea---more fun on twisty mountain roads.
If you ever decide on a mog road trip to the south, give me a call. I will be going to Littleton some time soon, so it you have the mog by then, I would love to come by and see it. Have fun!!

john

·
BenzWorld UNIMOG statesman
Unimog 404.1 Diesel (sold :( )1995 LMTV 1078
5,857 Posts
Mucho Congratulato!!! I think you got a great deal. Take alot of pictures of that hood and why it is like it is. Curious on why a few mogs have that particular hood. I assume it is because of some cooling system upgrade.

·
Registered
1978 406.120 1977 416
522 Posts
Right on, it looks fully Stoked! we're glad for you and are looking forward to hearing about your first driving impressions and trip home. CONGRATS!

·
Registered
1973 416 Doka, 1978 416 Doka, 1980 416 Doka..... Help me, I can't stop buying them!!!
2,652 Posts
Steve, You got a hell of a deal on that truck! I can't figure out why it went for so little, when the one at that airport went for so much. I have seen a few of those hoods, and they were all on off road fire fighting trucks. Must be that they don't get enough air to the front when running in one spot to run all the water pumps. Let me know what you want for the hood. I might need it for a turbo project. Should be able to make a real tall radiator to fit in that extra scoop!

·
Registered
'78 Mog 416.141 DoKa
3,420 Posts
VON said:
Let me know what you want for the hood. I might need it for a turbo project. Should be able to make a real tall radiator to fit in that extra scoop!
Von, with a hood like that, maybe you should change your forced induction plans to a roots supercharger and have something like THIS peeking out that hole !!

Hmmmm - a blower on a diesel ?!?!?!? yeah baby

Attachments

1 - 20 of 46 Posts