Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
2003 C320 coupe, 2000 ML320
886 Posts
Nope, I don't have a clue.. I gave up on asking "why" along time ago.. Normally, failures are due to "cost cutting" in production.. But seeing how we are talking about a 20 year old piece of gear.. That's way passed on it's attended life..

·
Registered
2003 ML350
9 Posts
Dude...I can't do everything for you. I don't know if he has a user name here. I don't know if he's still active. I gave you his damn phone number -- PICK UP THE PHONE AND CALL HIM

What I could do, and have, is search the forums, which you didn't do, for this very information and tell you that you have a 20+ year old piece of tech that is failing and provide you with the only real viable option.

If you don't like the advice of the pro's around here, then don't ask for it.

Sent from my BlackBerry Key2 using Tapatalk
Wow, you have such a bad attitude. My greatest, deepest, and most sincere apologies for asking before a search! My God, I committed the most unholy Internet Forum sin!!

Yeah, yeah, yeah. I know. You've said "20+ year old tech" at least three or four times now. I get it! You hate it! But there are some people out there that like factory/OEM materials. Please find it in your heart to forgive us peons.

And lastly, my deepest apologies for not thinking your advice of replacing it with something modern was the A+++ answer. I suppose every piece of advice you've ever had in your life, you've accepted and run with it, juding by a statement like "If you don't like my advice, don't ask". However, I asked to SEE if I could like it. That's the whole point behind asking for advice. I was not asking for a directive that I did not follow.

Jesus Christ - lighten up, dude.

Thanks for Jimmy Chen's information. I'll be sure to never, ever, ever ask before a search again. :rolleyes:

And to the rest of the guys who offered their experience without an attitude - I appreciate the help! Thank you!

·
Registered
2015 ML250 Bluetec | 2019 GLC 300 | Prev: | 2002 ML 500 Sport Edition :( | 2012 C250 | 1998 C230
984 Posts
Wow, you have such a bad attitude. My greatest, deepest, and most sincere apologies for asking before a search! My God, I committed the most unholy Internet Forum sin!!

Yeah, yeah, yeah. I know. You've said "20+ year old tech" at least three or four times now. I get it! You hate it! But there are some people out there that like factory/OEM materials. Please find it in your heart to forgive us peons.

And lastly, my deepest apologies for not thinking your advice of replacing it with something modern was the A+++ answer. I suppose every piece of advice you've ever had in your life, you've accepted and run with it, juding by a statement like "If you don't like my advice, don't ask". However, I asked to SEE if I could like it. That's the whole point behind asking for advice. I was not asking for a directive that I did not follow.

Jesus Christ - lighten up, dude.

Thanks for Jimmy Chen's information. I'll be sure to never, ever, ever ask before a search again. :rolleyes:

And to the rest of the guys who offered their experience without an attitude - I appreciate the help! Thank you!
Ok

·
Registered
2003 ML350
9 Posts
Hi guys,

So I sent out my MCS's to Jimmy Chen to have him repair it. He said he repaired the volume knob and fiber optics. I got it back yesterday, installed it, and went for a drive.

It worked beautifully for about 5 minutes, and then one loud POP, the CD froze for a moment, came back on, and all the crackling/popping from before came right back. Perhaps even worse than before.

I told Jimmy and he said "send me your Bose amplifier and also your tweeters so I can repair them."

Wanted to get your guys take on that. Do you think he's right and that it can be the Bose amp and the tweeters? Or would replacing the MCS with a modern head unit really eliminate this problem for good? Part of me wants to keep trying to fix the problem and keep the MCS (just for the sake of originality; something I very much appreciate in cars), but part of me also wants to move on on fix this problem quickly and certainly, without shipping parts back and forth.

What if I he's right and the Bose amp is the problem, but I went out and bought a new/modern head unit? Wouldn't the problem still exists because it was the amp all along? I'd hate to just be throwing time (shipping) and money at this thing.

Just wanted to hear your guys thoughts.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2000 ML55 sold? 2013 ML500,? 2015 C250 estate wagon, 1927 Dodge 4 sedan, 1929 Dodge
4,914 Posts
Personally if it was me I would replace the whole lot. I used the Bose amp originally when I changed my head unit but it eventually failed. So I put a small amp under my seat and fitted new speakers. The foam on the old speakers had started to deteriorate badly. Fitted 2way speakers in all 4 doors and kept the Bose sub it still worked well enough for my deaf ears.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2015 ML250 Bluetec | 2019 GLC 300 | Prev: | 2002 ML 500 Sport Edition :( | 2012 C250 | 1998 C230
984 Posts
Hi guys,

So I sent out my MCS's to Jimmy Chen to have him repair it. He said he repaired the volume knob and fiber optics. I got it back yesterday, installed it, and went for a drive.

It worked beautifully for about 5 minutes, and then one loud POP, the CD froze for a moment, came back on, and all the crackling/popping from before came right back. Perhaps even worse than before.

I told Jimmy and he said "send me your Bose amplifier and also your tweeters so I can repair them."

Wanted to get your guys take on that. Do you think he's right and that it can be the Bose amp and the tweeters? Or would replacing the MCS with a modern head unit really eliminate this problem for good? Part of me wants to keep trying to fix the problem and keep the MCS (just for the sake of originality; something I very much appreciate in cars), but part of me also wants to move on on fix this problem quickly and certainly, without shipping parts back and forth.

What if I he's right and the Bose amp is the problem, but I went out and bought a new/modern head unit? Wouldn't the problem still exists because it was the amp all along? I'd hate to just be throwing time (shipping) and money at this thing.

Just wanted to hear your guys thoughts.

Thanks!
You could get a new modern head unit, bypass the bose amp, use the existing speakers, bass module under driver seat included, for less than $300 bucks if you're a decent DIYer.

Jimmy is great, but you're futzing with 20+ year old tech that just wants to die.

·
Registered
2003 ml500, 2004 ml350
1,532 Posts
Please add your model and year to your profile. This is why members ask because I and others do not want to go back and search for what you are working on.

But I think it depends on what price he will do the amp for (You see they do go bad)?

You can probably post the head unit on eBay as a Jimmy Chen repaired unit and explain why your selling, recouped most of the repair cost.

You did say he repaired the fiber optic so new head need to ditch amp.

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Please add your model and year to your profile. This is why members ask because I and others do not want to go back and search for what you are working on.
DITTO
click on your icon----> click on Account Settings---->
goto Account Details----> add vehicle details---->
ADD your make model YEAR ----> click save

and Post #8

·
Registered
2003 ML350
9 Posts
Sorry about that. Added my vehicle details now.

So I took the vehicle out for a longer drive today. It worked flawlessly on the open highway for nearly an hour.

Then once I got back into traffic, it started acting up again. This time really bad! And continued to malfunction on the open highway on the way back.

Lots of crackling, popping, volume would go from low to high by itself, tracks on CD's would freeze, pop, then come back, and at one point it even switched from CD to FM radio all by itself! And even the FM radio started to freeze and go silent for a second or two, then come back!

Would a bad amp really cause all of that? I'm not an electronics expert by any means, but doesn't the amp just provide the power and have nothing to do with the "controls" so to speak? With all that crazy stuff that I just mentioned, to me it seems like the MCS is the culprit for sure! What do you guys think??

·
Premium Member
2000 ML55 sold? 2013 ML500,? 2015 C250 estate wagon, 1927 Dodge 4 sedan, 1929 Dodge
4,914 Posts
The amp might be getting hot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
984 Posts
And I think we've said a bazillion times it's a 20+ year old piece of tech. If you replaced the HU when you started the post, you wouldn't have any gripes at this point :)

·
Registered
2003 ML350
9 Posts
And I think we've said a bazillion times it's a 20+ year old piece of tech. If you replaced the HU when you started the post, you wouldn't have any gripes at this point :)

Haha, okay, okay! Perhaps you were right! I'm considering your original suggesting now! :LOL:

Having said that - do you think the amp could be causing all of this? It's hard for me to imagine that the amp would cause the MCS to switch from CD to FM all by itself, and freeze up, and stuff like that! Sounds more like the MCS is totally bad!

Jimmy said he'd work on my amp and tweeters for free (I highly doubt there is a tweeter problem though), but I wonder if it's even worth it to spend the time and shipping costs to send it in to him because I have doubts that it's the amp.

But I'm worried about buying an aftermarket/modern headunit now, because what if it IS the amp? Wouldn't I just have the same problems with a modern headunit if it were the amp? :unsure::(

·
Registered
2003 ml500, 2004 ml350
1,532 Posts
Tough to say either jimmy did not get it right or bad amp. Part of the problem with fiber optic system.

Since it is a looped system I suppose you could have a failing optic cable or connection as well.

You might just want to check each optic plug at each component to be sure they are set correctly. Though I doubt that is the issue.

Saw this not endorsing never saw this web site before amps usually go for 140.00

·
Registered
2003 ml500, 2004 ml350
1,532 Posts
Also you will not be able to use the current fiber optic d2b amp with any other head unit. You will need to replace or pull it.

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Haha, okay, okay! Perhaps you were right! I'm considering your original suggesting now! :LOL:

Having said that - do you think the amp could be causing all of this? It's hard for me to imagine that the amp would cause the MCS to switch from CD to FM all by itself, and freeze up, and stuff like that! Sounds more like the MCS is totally bad!

Jimmy said he'd work on my amp and tweeters for free (I highly doubt there is a tweeter problem though), but I wonder if it's even worth it to spend the time and shipping costs to send it in to him because I have doubts that it's the amp.

But I'm worried about buying an aftermarket/modern headunit now, because what if it IS the amp? Wouldn't I just have the same problems with a modern headunit if it were the amp? :unsure::(
From the time you started this post (2+ weeks ago), to now, respectfully, you would have had a new DD installed and playing on your existing FO oem speakers system following any of the threads that show what, where and how. :)

The FO amp is useless and you dont need it with an installed update-to-date DD system. If you really want to have an amp, by all means, install one.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Haha, okay, okay! Perhaps you were right! I'm considering your original suggesting now!

You will NOT use the amp anymore. Did you read through ALL of the other posts here that were referenced. Modern day head units have more than enough power for the speakers. Hence all the advice given to replace the MCS with a modern HU. You are bypassing all of the antiquated tech by this.

·
Registered
984 Posts
From the time you started this post (2+ weeks ago), to now, respectfully, you would have had a new DD installed and playing on your existing FO oem speakers system following any of the threads that show what, where and how. :)

The FO amp is useless and you dont need it with an installed update-to-date DD system. If you really want to have an amp, by all means, install one.
<----- This! smh...

41 - 57 of 57 Posts