Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

Registered
01 ML430, 03 C320 Coupe MT, 14 GL450
Discussion Starter #1
Our 2001 ML430 has been making some speaker noises recently. We have the Bose system, and it doesn't happen all the time, only occasionally. What are some things I can look at? Are the speakers driven from the MCS unit, or from an external amplifier?

The popping and sometimes crackling noises are loud and seem to come from one speaker at a time, and I thought I heard it from more than one speaker. It does sound like the rear speakers, though.

I am not interested in changing to another sound system. It it's the MCS, I will try to pick up a replacement from eBay - I hope it should be relatively cheap to get one these days.

Registered
All the speakers are making this crackling noise...
Could be the bose MCS amp going on you.

If you can test this, swap out one of the crackling speakers with a substitute speaker to test it. If you still hear the crackling, it's most likely the bose amp.

Registered
2015 ML250 Bluetec | 2019 GLC 300 | Prev: | 2002 ML 500 Sport Edition :( | 2012 C250 | 1998 C230
FWIW -- if it is the Bose amp, you're end up spending more to get a replacement on eBay, and same goes with the MCS. And those will still be 20+ year old products. Best to buy something up to date.

Registered
2003 ML350
Daniel, did you ever figure out a solution to this problem? My 2003 ML350 does this, too. It seems to have a mind of it's own. Sometimes it's fine, then sometimes it's unbearable. For me, it seems to only be coming from both A pillar tweeters.

Registered
2015 ML250 Bluetec | 2019 GLC 300 | Prev: | 2002 ML 500 Sport Edition :( | 2012 C250 | 1998 C230
Daniel, did you ever figure out a solution to this problem? My 2003 ML350 does this, too. It seems to have a mind of it's own. Sometimes it's fine, then sometimes it's unbearable. For me, it seems to only be coming from both A pillar tweeters.
MCS is failing. Upgrade or send in for $$ repair on a 20+ year old piece of tech.

Sent from my BlackBerry Key2 using Tapatalk

Registered
2003 ML350
MCS is failing. Upgrade or send in for $$ repair on a 20+ year old piece of tech.

So I鈥檓 a newbie -so three questions:

What/where is the MCS?

Where do I send it into for repair?

How much does this repair typically cost?

Thanks!

Registered
MCS = Multimedia/Modular Comand System. It's your head unit.

There's a guy on the forum that's mentioned a couple times, not in front of a computer to search right now. Someone else might be able to chime in.

That being said, between shipping costs and repairing a 20 year old piece of tech that may fail again, it's more effective to swap with aftermarket and bring the truck to 2020. And will be roughly the same cost.

Registered
So I鈥檓 a newbie -so three questions:

What/where is the MCS?

Where do I send it into for repair?

How much does this repair typically cost?

Thanks!
You are better off swapping in an up-to-date din unit, with all the bells and whistle, (if you like).
The DIY threads and members are very helpful to get your system setup. MCS is old and frankly, obsolete.
but hey, it's your ride, your $$. :)

Registered
2003 ML350
You are better off swapping in an up-to-date din unit, with all the bells and whistle, (if you like).
The DIY threads and members are very helpful to get your system setup. MCS is old and frankly, obsolete.
but hey, it's your ride, your $$. :)
What is the preferred update?
Will it still be able to control my 6 disc changer? Perhaps I鈥檓 old fashioned, but I still love to listen to CD鈥檚.

Registered
Will it still be able to control my 6 disc changer? Perhaps I鈥檓 old fashioned, but I still love to listen to CD鈥檚.
No. But most will have a single disc slot on the HU still.

Registered
2003 ml500, 2004 ml350
No

02 -05 have a D2D fiber optic system there are no aftermarket compatible units. A new unit can be done but it is tougher then on an 98-01 that does not use fiber optic and uses wires for the sound siginal.

So it can be done it you are good at electrical you can DIY it. Finding a shop that has someone around that is fimilar with the D2B systems is getting harder the car is 20 years old. One member had good luck at Best Buy can鈥檛 remember which system he had

On this forum we usually refer to the unit in the console as the head unit.

Registered
No

02 -05 have a D2D fiber optic system there are no aftermarket compatible units. A new unit can be done but it is tougher then on an 98-01 that does not use fiber optic and uses wires for the sound siginal.

So it can be done it you are good at electrical you can DIY it. Finding a shop that has someone around that is fimilar with the D2B systems is getting harder the car is 20 years old. One member had good luck at Best Buy can鈥檛 remember which system he had

On this forum we usually refer to the unit in the console as the head unit.
The Bose FO systems ('02-'05) are just as easy as the non FO units to DIY. If you're the kind of person that would DIY the system in the first place ;)

Registered
2003 ML350
Any good recommendations on a system that has at least a single disc player, Bluetooth voice, and Bluetooth streaming (music)?

Also, anyone know who this guy is that repairs the MCS?

Registered
Any good recommendations on a system that has at least a single disc player, Bluetooth voice, and Bluetooth streaming (music)?

Also, anyone know who this guy is that repairs the MCS?
VX7020 -- Jensen

And Jimmy's info below.

Registered
If you love your CDs, find a service (or DIY) conversion onto an thumbdrive or mp3 files and dump them into a music app on your mobile. We took all our CDs and converted them into mp3 and then dumped them into separate folders in an app called Documents (so many different and new ones now...). Use BT to play random or each CD album at the touch of the touch display on the double din or on the mobile device. And btw, re-purposed an older cheap iphone 5s in each car (same mp3 files) strictly for this purpose of playing our old folks CD tunes. We add new tunes when we hear them on YT and dump them onto our cloud and DL them from there into a new folder.
Wrote a script to do this automation. :)

Registered
2003 ml500, 2004 ml350
The Bose FO systems ('02-'05) are just as easy as the non FO units to DIY. If you're the kind of person that would DIY the system in the first place ;)

No a non fiber optic has low level speaker wires from the radio to the amp. Tie into those behind the head unit your done.

D2B Is a higher level of difficulty, but I did say:

鈥淪o it can be done it you are good at electrical you can DIY it. Finding a shop that has someone around that is fimilar with the D2B systems is getting harder the car is 20 years old.鈥

On D2B you need to run speaker wires from the head unit to the amp, gut the amp use it as a junction box to connect to the speakers.

Or remove amp and head unit install new amp run wires from new head to the new amp then from new amp to speakers.

I did not say D2B can not be a DIY project I said it is more difficult. It requires a lot more work. Pre D2B with all wires right there behind the head vs routing wires, deciding new amp, or using the internal amp on the head Unit, where to put new amp, if going that far new speakers or keep the Bose but dump the sub woofer?

98-01 is almost plug and play

02-05 a lot more design and physical work a lot more time.

Registered
No a non fiber optic has low level speaker wires from the radio to the amp. Tie into those behind the head unit your done.

D2B Is a higher level of difficulty, but I did say:

鈥淪o it can be done it you are good at electrical you can DIY it. Finding a shop that has someone around that is fimilar with the D2B systems is getting harder the car is 20 years old.鈥

On D2B you need to run speaker wires from the head unit to the amp, gut the amp use it as a junction box to connect to the speakers.

Or remove amp and head unit install new amp run wires from new head to the new amp then from new amp to speakers.

I did not say D2B can not be a DIY project I said it is more difficult. It requires a lot more work pre D2B with all wires right there behind the head vs routing wires deciding new amp or using the internal amp on the head Unit where to put new amp.
You're over complicating it...

Splice the speaker wires coming out of the Bose amp into the 4 Channel of a new HU. Bypass. Done. We all know the post with the detailed documentation on the forum.

Let's digress, and wait for the OP.

Registered
2003 ml500, 2004 ml350
You're over complicating it...

Splice the speaker wires coming out of the Bose amp into the 4 Channel of a new HU. Bypass. Done. We all know the post with the detailed documentation on the forum.

How do you then get the siginal from the new head unit to the speaker harness under driver side foot well?

That is why many folks pull out the D2B Amp, Rip it鈥檚 guts out, connect wires to the pins, harness them into a cable, run that cable to the new head unit. Why because it is a lot easier doing that on a bench then with your head upside down in the foot well, cutting stripping and crimping.wires.

But either job may be easy for me and for you. I never assume that anyone posting has the same abilities

I have no idea of PUKBenz鈥檚 abities he did say he was a newbie, at this point, he has probably learned a lot.

Registered
How do you then get the siginal from the new head unit to the speaker harness under driver side foot well?

That is why many folks pull out the D2B Amp, Rip it鈥檚 guts out, connect wires to the pins, harness them into a cable, run that cable to the new head unit. Why because it is a lot easier doing that on a bench then with your head upside down in the foot well, cutting stripping and crimping.wires.

But either job may be easy for me and for you. I never assume that anyone posting has the same abilities

I have no idea of PUKBenz鈥檚 abities he did say he was a newbie, at this point, he has probably learned a lot.
Like this:

View attachment 2632189

1 - 20 of 57 Posts