Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a 2006 C230, when stopped at a red light for couple of minutes, a poping sound comes from the rear of the vehicle. (Sounds like when standing at a red light slowly releasing the breaks, you hear the cracking sound). This sound is very similar, and at first I thought it was my breaks, but apparently its something else. I would appreciate any input on this, if this is a problem happening to anyone else???????????

Thanks

·
Registered
Debadged 02 C230 Coupe
27 Posts
I have an 02 and I've noticed weird noises similar to the poping you discribe, but idk how else to explain it....I have read that the C230K's have a different sounding engine/exhaust then most cars, so I've been thinking thats what it is....but for some reason I just don't think it sounds right. I don't like the sound of it, and I hope that there is something wrong so I can change it lol....sometimes I get funny looks from people when I'm driving by them, and I know its probably because of the sound....so I guess we're kinda in the same spot....

The only thing I could think to do for a better description is to get a clip of it and try to get the best audio I can....idk....can anyone help?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Funny thing is that the popping sound coming from teh exhaust happens only when I'm standing in one spot for more than a minute, with my car in drive. If it is in Neutral, the sound cannot be duplicated. Im sure if I got to a MB dealer it will be a waist of time because the sound can't be duplicated on demand. That's why I was wandering if anyone else had this problem. Thanks.

·
Registered
13 Posts
06?

The 06 230 has the V-6, right? If so, I really don't know about that sound. I can tell you that my 05 certainly has a strange sounding idle when in drive - very pingy...reminds me of an old VW. I don't like that sound at all, but I guess it's just the nature of the beast. I figure it must just be the relatively low idle and the load the supercharger puts on the engine at those low RPM's in combination with the transmission. Once the a/c compressor kicks on, the engine sounds like it is really struggling to maintain it's idle. Put it in neutral and the sound pretty much goes away, probably because the engine is no longer having to fight the load of the transmission.

My only guess on your 06 is that when you sit at a stop for a few minutes, the engine heats up and the fan comes on, which has to place additional load on the engine. Additionally, if your climate control is on, the compressor may be cycling on and off, which would add load. Just a guess.

·
Registered
Debadged 02 C230 Coupe
27 Posts
hmm I think mine is different from both of you guys, because mine is whenever I give it gas, or even at idle. It's like it 'pudders' maybe like a VW Diesel engine would.....idk, but yeah I always just thought it was the nature of the beast as well. I was just hopeing that maybe I could get it to sound a little bit more powerful...?

Any Ideas?

·
Registered
2014 Audi S5 Cabriolet 3.0T
1,383 Posts
I had this issue in my Boxster. It was a bad cat. converter...

·
Registered
Debadged 02 C230 Coupe
27 Posts
well I'm going into the Beck Imports here in Charlotte tomorrow to get my oil changed, so hopefully I can have the exhaust system looked at or ask them what they think it is.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Excellent...let me know what the shop says...Also, it is the 6 cylinder C230, and you were right when you said, putting the car in Neutral makes the sounds go away, but for some reason I doubt it has anything to do with the engine, as the sound is clearly coming out of the rear.

·
Registered
Debadged 02 C230 Coupe
27 Posts
UPDATE:

haha I didn't get a chance to go by there yesterday so I'm going today....I already have an appointment for noon....so hopefully I'll know something around 1 today :)

·
Registered
Debadged 02 C230 Coupe
27 Posts
Oh yeah sorry....well one of Becks service advisors said that they would have to run a diagnostic test on to see if there is something wrong with it......and it would cost about 180 bucks. Well I didn't want to spend the money so I told him no...and he said I honestly don't hear anything that sounds abnormal....but the only way to really see is to run the test.

So i guess if someone else wants to try to run the diagnostic they can but I think I'm just going to leave it alone. My warranty will cover anything that might be messed.

They also were going to charge me 256 bucks for an oil change!!

Pretty ridiculous...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wow...a $256 oil change??? Is that standard for MB...any work arounds for that. I heard that MB requires oil changes at dealer, because if you change it elsewhere, the service message will continue displaying even after the oil change...Also, the $180 Test, shouldn't that be covered by Waranty???

·
Registered
Debadged 02 C230 Coupe
27 Posts
WellI got my C230K at Carmax used.....it was in amazing condition and only had 50K on it, and it was cheaper there then anywhere else. I do have a 100k mile warranty but its with carmax. Althoguh when I bought the car I was told that I could have warranty work done at Beck, and it would only cost 75 bucks, and carmax would pay the rest....well apparently maintence isn't covered....I haven't had time to call Carmax to b!tch at them yet but w/e, I'm going to find out what the constraints are...

Oh yeah and my service message does still say that its past due for a change....pretty gay

anyone know how to reset it?? or something?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts