Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '98 C280 automatic. Recently, when I floor the accelerator (to pull away fast), there is a slight delay, then a loud pop from the exhaust before it gets going.

If you just rev the car in neutral it sounds a little rough at low revs - bit spluttery

I am thinking that this may be something like a blocked fuel line or dirty spark plugs but any help would be appreciated

·
Registered
Mercedes 28E 1993 (W124)
120 Posts
Could be to richer mixture.

Engine sensor could be the cause. Injection temp sensor possibly, or ive heard it could be the MAF

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
MAF? I work in investment but don't imagine you're referring to a Market Adjustment Factor!

·
Registered
1996 C36, 1995 S500 Coupe, 1985 190E 2.3
301 Posts
MAF - Mass Airflow Sensor. It is the device that tells the computer how much air is getting into the intake.

·
Registered
2004 Lexus LS 430 Modern Luxury. 2012 Acura TSX (fun fun) Maybe MB again one day...
2,604 Posts
I had a popping sound on my c280 once and it turned out that the coil end was not seated on the plug correctly. Have you looked around at your connections yet?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just to let you know that I took my C280 in for a service this week. As it happened, the garage rang me to say that the Airflow Meter was showing as being on the limit and needed replacing. Two days later I have a new one fitted and things seem to be resolved. Thanks to STOX for your input - this helped me believe what the guy at the garage was telling me.

For those in the UK, I would recommend the place I used - Richford Motors in Alfreton. They did a full 'B' service for £200 compared to £550 I was quoted by a main dealer.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts