Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2003 E320 (W211) has an anoying 'pop' sound when going over speed-bumps and such. It has new aftermarket Bilstein struts and the MB Dealer said they were fine, as did a good suspension tech I know. He heard the 'pop' and determined it was not due to the Bilstein struts, bushing, or ball-joints. Seems to be a mystery ... however, I have discovered that if I go over four speed-bumps - two slowly coasting and two with breaks slightly engaged - when the breaks are slightly engaged, the 'pop' does not occur.

Strange ... anyone have any thoughts as to what this may be?

Thanks -

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just bought an 03 E320 and noticed the same thing. However, my car was essentially a CPO, so (perhaps mistakenly) assume that if there were a big problem, MB would have fixed it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
... hmmm - interesting. Please update this thread if you ever find out what the problem is! We have eliminated many things - have you tried holding the breaks just a bit while going over a bump? Try that ... we could be on to something.

·
Registered
5,092 Posts
I'd guess your new aftermarket shocks are loose, i.e. bolts not tightened correctly.

Yes, it's not the components, it's the installation.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'd guess your new aftermarket shocks are loose, i.e. bolts not tightened correctly. Yes, it's not the components, it's the installation.
Could be - I wonder if JeFe95 has after-market struts ... the MB Dealer did tighten a lose bolt on the front drivers-side but didn't notice anything on the passenger-side.

Why would applying break pressure make it go away if it were the struts, though?

Thanks -

·
Registered
5 Posts
I know exactly what that is. Your rear seat headrests are hitting. Nbd. You'll notice the sound does not occur when the rear headrests are up instead of down.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Oh wow haha. Do you know how to post your own posts? I only know how to respond. I have a problem where something under my car issuing a dinging noise, I took a picture. It's not my cat or muffler. It's also not my heat shield. Any ideas? It's coming from one of two of these cylinder things closer to the engine.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Do you know how to post your own posts? I only know how to respond.
Welcome to the forum!

To start a new thread go to the correcct forun for the thread i.e. w211, w124, w210 etc. Click on 'New Topic'.

Cheers

1 - 9 of 9 Posts