Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
SLK350
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an SLK350 (US) R171, and perhaps the most important feature was the phone system. I hear everyone talk about how good the quality of the speakerphone is in their mercedes, but mine is unusable when I'm driving at any reasonable speed (35-80 mph). Here are the details:

- I have a V60s (mb version) phone
- I can hear calls very well
- The faster I drive, the poorer the quality of my speech is. Its like there is **no noise cancelling.**
- If I plugin a headset, even while the phone is docked, two way quality is fine.
- my dealership has tried to address the problem three times, claiming to replace the microphone and to add a splitter to the antenna.
- the quality over my digital teleaid is poor too. I can hear the rep fine, but he/she can barely hear me when travelling at any reasonable speed.

It really just seams likely a microphone quality or noise cancelling issue. The R171 is supposed to have a good microphone, right?

If anyone can give me any advice, perhaps I can point my service people in the right direction. I'd also like to hear about any experience other owners are having with their setup.

Thanks in advance!

Chad

·
Registered
SLK 55 AMG
3,560 Posts
The speakerphone, although it picks up your voice, doesn't seem to be set very 'loud'. I always have to speak quite loud in order for the other person to be able to hear me.

I should go see my dealer and ask them if there's a way to increase the 'perceptible' volume on it.

I also had a hands free system in my old SLK, and there I did not have to speak as loud for the other person to hear me correctly :\

·
Registered
SLK350
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think the key is that it seems like there is no noise cancelling functionality. The faster I go, the more cabin noise, the poorer the quality is.

·
Registered
SLK350
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
MBUSA has acknowledged the problem as a known issue. Apparently there are a few people that bought SLKs at my dealership that are also having the problem. My dealership has opened up a technical case with MBUSA, so who knows if or when it will be resolved.

If anyone else has either a good functioning system or poor, I'm curious to know about it. They are trying to figure out if this is a defect in a certain run of equipment.

·
Registered
SLK350
475 Posts
I got a chance to try out the phone today with the top down. While traveling between 50 and 60 mph, top down, side windows up, rear windscreen in place, temp was 50 degrees F. so auto heater was set at 73, airscarf on, volume set relatively low. I found the phone conversation to be excellent in both receiving and sending. Speaking in normal conversation type volume was all that was required. Both passenger and driver were able to speak and be understood. Voice clarity was excellent. I also noted the HK was very pleasant to listen to during the drive. We drove about 60 miles today with the top down. Minimal wind buffet, absolutely comfortable. Best top down ride I ever had. At 65 mph, conversations and radio were great. I actually turned off my airscarf and seat heaters. Just the car heater was sufficient for me. My hubby kept the scarf on low.

I have the Moto V600. Except for the fact I can't voice dial through the car, I do like the phone.

Roberta

·
Registered
Caspian Blue SLK350
61 Posts
I noticed the standard audio system is lacking, where the upgraded system sounds great. It might have been the FM on the standard unit that really had no heart. The upgraded unit I was listening to has CD and SAT. The phone system sounds great once you get the volume up. All in all I would giv ethe audio system a 9.5

·
Registered
SLK 350
3 Posts
Hello:

I'm new to posting but have been reading the forum for a few months now awaiting my SLK 350. I finally got it after 4 months of waiting. Its a wonderful car!

The only problem I have is the Hands Free system. I have teh V710 with Verision and the Entertainment Package so the upgraded sound system.

Even with the top up and not moving at all with full signal strength the person at the other end can barely hear me. I hear them great ... best speakerphone I've heard (except that they can't hear me).

Has anyone resolved this issue? I haven't taken it to the dealer yet, just got the phone setup on Friday.

Thanks,
Scott

·
Registered
SLK350
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You have the same problem I have, except I have a V60. But that doesn't matter, you'll probably notice the same problem if you try to call the TeleAid people.

The status from my dealer is that this is a known issue, and that MBUSA is working on resolving it. Specifically, MBUSA wants my dealership to try installing a "multi-array" microphone. This part has not yet arrived, but I will report back once its done.

Its bizarre because some people don't have this problem.

·
Registered
SLK 350
3 Posts
ic2000

Yep, it seems we have a similar problem. Let me know if the new special microphone fixes the problem. In the meantime I'll try turning up the volume on the phone as someone else suggested and see if any other hints come up. If nothing else I'll go back to the dealer with this post.

Thanks,
Scott

·
Registered
Caspian Blue 2005
45 Posts
Please post the part number for the Multi Array microphone. I wasn't aware MB had a multi array available.

From the posts above the common thread seems to be problems for those of us who have the Comand unit, no matter what the phone. I have the comand and V710, I can hear fine but the other person can not.

Also have a 2004 SL 55 with older comand and v-60. Sound is spectacular for both caller and in car. Just upgraded the SL 55 to a V710 using a Mikbox. Very easy install works even better than it did with the V60.

·
Registered
Caspian Blue 2005
45 Posts
Oh, I forgot, when I recieved the car the car kit would not work at all. I was told the car phone mic was not wired correctly. Although the Teleaid worked fine. Dealer told me they use two different mics. The wired the mic correctly but now I can't be heard by the caller as described above. Tele aid works fine and I can be heard by the Tele aid rep just fine for what its worth

·
Registered
SLK 350
3 Posts
Any updates on this issue?

I'm planning on setting up a appointment with my dealer soon as I'm just rolled over 1000 miles!

Scott

·
Registered
SLK350
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My car is in the shop right now for this among other things. As soon as I get it back, probably tomorrow, I'll let you know.

They are supposedly putting in a new multi array mic that hopefully will solve the problem.

·
Registered
Caspian Blue 2005
45 Posts
Please post the part number for the multi array microphone for the rest of us so we can hit up our local dealers for the same fix.

Thanks,

Doug

·
Registered
SLK 280
146 Posts
Sorry for not quite following the exact gist of this thread. I am about to spec my car for August and I just wondered exactly where do MB put the telephone antenna?

Is it in the roof or does the original whip on the rear wing become replaced with something else?, maybe along the lines of the SL mini one?

Thanks.

Portzy.

·
Registered
SLK350
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I am not sure where the antenna goes, but I do know there is no visual difference in the car with or without it.

I am pretty sure its there whether you opt for the phone system or not.

·
Registered
SLK350
128 Posts
I just got my slk350 last week. The integrated phone system (i.e. phone cradle in the armrest) seems fine. I have a Nokia 6230 handset.

·
Registered
SLK350, BMW K1200LT
808 Posts
I have a 6230, and mine also is fine up to about 85-90mph, then my call recipient has probs hearing me.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts