Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1989 420 SEL with Stock Becker AM/FM Cassette. Unit has trouble picking up nearby stations. Antenna seems to extend fine. IS this a known weakness in this units? Any suggestions or comments if I was to replace this with a moden FM/CD Unit? Which units will just slot in?<br> <br> Thanks

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hey,<br> I can't help you, but I can tell you that I have the same problem. I have a 1984 190E with the Becker AM/FM Casette in it. Not sure if it is the same one as in yours, but mine has very poor reception. My 1990 Chev truck will pick up stations fine that my Benz will not. I am also looking at installing a new FM/CD deck along with maybe some new speakers, but worry if my reception will still be poor due to my antenna remaining the same. Can anyone help Steve and I out???/<br> <br> Bob

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am a 2000 C280 and the dealership just replaced the head unit today for the third time....and it still sounds like the antenae isnt hooked up! Does anyone know how to solve this problem? My FM reception sucks

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You can get a OEM cd player from Becker.They also carry adapters to fit you original plugs. Plug and play installation. If the FM problem still exists after you change the head unit, you might need to check the wiring and the antenna part.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Have they replaced the antenna module? That's probably where the problem is, not in the head. If replacing it three times didn't fix the problem, they should have figured out that they are looking in the wrong place!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Probally already tried, but there is a button labeld * for local and distant stations , try it.<br> The Becker unit sucks for reception anyway. Wanted to upgrade mine,model 1432 in a 300 TE (93) and was cheaper just to leave alone, so I added cd player and downloaded songs from favorite radio stations web site and played them using cd-r and cd changer.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So on a 2000 C-280 the antenae is also the rear window defogger? And what test can I run on the antenae to see if it is working?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts