Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1985 300D Turbo Diesel (W123) & 2001 S500 (W220)
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi, i have an 85 300D and for about the last few months or so, i've been noticing that acceleration is getting worse. the first few times I noticed this it was when my tank was near empty so my first thought was sediment. the next few tanks, i used an additive which is supposed to clean the injectors. it seemed to work although at high speeds i still felt it pulling back almost as though there was a fuel delivery issue but now the problem has returned with a vengance. this morning I was on the other side of town and I had problem just getting up to 40mph. i managed to limp home. I've been reading various posts on the forum and I see references to the ALDA. what i plan on doing next is swap the fuel filters and see if that helps but something tells me it's more than that. I've owned the car for almost 3 years, it has over 320K miles on it. maybe the injectors are in need of servicing. how often should they be serviced? as for the tank and possible sediment issues, has anyone ever removed theirs and had it cleaned? when i remove the filters I will cut them in half and see whats inside.

as always, any help or advice or welcomed. i do have an appointment with my MB guy in a couple of days but i would love to solve this on my own if I can.

thanks.

·
Registered
1984 300D Turbo
1,606 Posts
classic symptom of clogged secondary fuel filter.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Or a primary filter. Or a tank screen.

Do a search of this forum on the subject "tank screen".

Take a good look at the transparent primary filter in the fuel feed line at the injection pump. If you have fuel contamination problems, the filter will be visibly clogged with black particles. Primary filters are available at Autozones and NAPA's and cost about $4 each. Buy a few extras and throw them in the trunk.

It may be necessary to drain the tank and remove the tank screen for cleaning or replacement. It's not a hard job, and a search of this forum will give pointers on the process.

FWIW, I think a lot of these cars are sold cheap because of simple, easily addressed fuel system problems. All three of mine had funky tanks, and I guess I'll eventually get tired of replacing filters and clean the present tank, too.

·
Registered
1984 300D turbo
274 Posts
barberhauler said:
Or a primary filter. Or a tank screen.

Do a search of this forum on the subject "tank screen".

Take a good look at the transparent primary filter in the fuel feed line at the injection pump. If you have fuel contamination problems, the filter will be visibly clogged with black particles. Primary filters are available at Autozones and NAPA's and cost about $4 each. Buy a few extras and throw them in the trunk.

It may be necessary to drain the tank and remove the tank screen for cleaning or replacement. It's not a hard job, and a search of this forum will give pointers on the process.

FWIW, I think a lot of these cars are sold cheap because of simple, easily addressed fuel system problems. All three of mine had funky tanks, and I guess I'll eventually get tired of replacing filters and clean the present tank, too.
I hear ya on being sick of changing filters. Always seems to happen when you don't want to smell like diesel! If you know what i mean:D

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
84 bioburner said:
I hear ya on being sick of changing filters. Always seems to happen when you don't want to smell like diesel! If you know what i mean:D

Car came with a set of thick red rubber gloves.....

I should have known.

·
Registered
'84 300D/ dakota benz trk. Sold... miss it. "88 260E '91 190E 2.6 '89 Volvo 240DL "85 300D
1,252 Posts
you think diesel smells??? try JP8, it is very strong. i think even stronger than gasoline.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts