Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1983 380SL
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
During the Covid lockdown, I have been driving my SL much more. The weather has been pretty good and I am not driving kids around with me, so I don't need a car with a back seat.

My SL driver's seat has been lacking support since I purchased the car 5 years ago, but it had not been on the top of my repair list until now. I debated ordering new foam seat bases, but I figured I would try the cheaper pool noodle path first.

I removed the 6 bolts holding the seat in. Then I removed the seat belt bolt on the side of the car.

This youtube video was helpful
Removing SL Seats

For such a small space, there was a ton of crap that had fallen underneath the drivers seat. Not much money, mostly junk... Had to grab the shopvac and clean things up a bit.

After lifting the seat out of the car, I placed it upside down on a chair to set what I was working with. I was expecting to find broken springs, but to my surprise all of the springs looked to be in tact. Still the support was terrible.

First, I stuffed a pool noodle in between the springs and zip tied them in place. After flipping the seat back over for testing, the support was better in the middle of the seat but the edge that supports your thighs was still almost non-existent. So I flipped the seat back over and cut another pool noodle to stuff in front of the springs and the frame. That did the trick! Now the seat is firm, but not hard. I am ready for some more cruising. Now, without feeling like I am falling off the drivers seat.

Here is where I placed my noodles for optimal reenforcement. I hope this helps other SL owners suffering from the same problem.

·
Registered
'79 450SL, '04 CLK200 convertible; former A124, W210, A209.
1,860 Posts
Great hack gents. That said, I wholeheartedly recommend replacing pads while they're still available at a reasonable price - the difference is day and night, especially where your bum exerts the most pressure. When I took out the old pad it was almost compressed by almost an inch (roughly) compared to the new one, which made refitting the leather a PIA, but boy it was worth it.

·
Registered
w108 & w107
144 Posts
Without removing the seat covers, the noodle is an easy improvement. I also added a short piece down each side, to improve bolster on the sides of the seat bottom, particularly from the previous owner who was a rather large elderly fellow who, over the course of 16 years managed to flatten the outside of the drivers seat bottom.

·
Registered
1994 E320, 1985 280SL
123 Posts
I did this yesterday! But I didn't have to remove the seat, just lift the height and stuff them from behind! Went in between the seat bottom and the springs. $1.33 later and 5 min's and I was done! My seats are in great condition but they sagged, particularly to the left (ejection seat when you open the door!), not any more! The seats were single handedly ruining a lot about the car for me. go around a corner and it seemed like the car was really leaning, it wasn't it was the damn seat!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts