Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
1987 MB 560sl, Champagne/Burgundy, 83K miles, decent shape
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a bad case of saggy-butt seats, and have heard that this can be remedied using the pool noodle. So, here it is November, and I went in search of a pool noodle. After some searching, I located one. I thought I had read that you peel back the seat cover. NOT SO on my 560. There is a metal ring on the bottom of the seat holding the seat cover onto the frame, which doesn't look like it is removable.

So, before I get frustrated and rip the seat out of the car, I thought I should come here and post. There must be somebody that has done this that can explain the process to me. :confused:

Any info is appreciated!!!

God, this car has become my obsession in the last couple of weeks. Great fun, so long as you don't spend too much cash. :eek:

· Forum Administrator , RC Colas® & Moon Pies®
1981 380SL 151K: 2005 S500 116K: 2006 E320 CDI
39,468 Posts
I actually bought the noodles way back in the day but never got around to using them. My understanding was that you were supposed to coil the noodle up from under the seat, beneath the spring so help support them. I don't recall if there was a specific thread about it but if there is, Dave will remember it and probably be along in a bit with a link. Or not.

· Registered
2005 SLK350, 91 300SL with Pano Top, 04 S500, 2015 Tesla Model S
2,199 Posts
The seat cover is folded into this metal "ring". Sit on the seat to release any tension and then pull the fron and side verticals downwards.

· Registered
1987 MB 560sl, Champagne/Burgundy, 83K miles, decent shape
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That would be one forceful pull!
I will give it another try and report back with my ...... er.......success?

When I looked at it, I thought that there must be a way to release this ring, no?

Thanks!!

· Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
83 280 SL- 5 speed-The PIG
35,608 Posts
I had the opposite problem. The "ring" would come out on it's own once sit upon. Pain in the ass (no pun intended) to compress and re-install. I added a piece of noodle to prevent this from happening again.

12,000 miles later and still holding.

Attachments

· Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
83 280 SL- 5 speed-The PIG
35,608 Posts
Nobby
Can you explain how the ring compresses, and what holds it in place, if anything, just so I can understand how to get it out?
My seat cover has this plastic strapping sewn into the leather at the edge. The seat bottom frame has a deep lip around the inside edge
The plastic strap gets placed into this lip.

So...the seat cover needs to be pulled down, folded over and jammed into that lip. Hard to do without compressing the seat to give the seat cover some flop.

· Registered
1978 450SL--117K
1,374 Posts
Alternatively, once winter sets in (you do get winter, in Mass, right?) take the seats and have an upholstery shop fix the springs, add some foam and make them comfy. I have been giving some thought to this and the fact that lots of people end up selling these cars after restoring them because they are not comfortable on longer than short trips. I agree--there is no lumbar support and, even for their day, they were backward--or at least feel like it. An 86 Porsche 944 had better seats than 560 and the 450, well......

So, I am thinking that the existing seats can be made a lot better by adding some lumbar support in the lower back, adding some more outside edge support and making the seat not so much firmer (though the old tired ones need that) but also some something that I haven't put my finger on. Vintage Recarro seats would be perfect, but they aren't falling off the trees these days.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.