Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2002 e320
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
at how many mile intervals does the poly v belt need to be changed?
the reason i ask is that mine snapped at about 35000 miles. now i am at 62000 miles. should i change it preemptively? thanks for any help. paul

·
Registered
1994 E320 Wagon,1999 E320 Wagon,2000 E 320 Wagon, MGB Track/Rally, ,1988 300E ,more....
6,019 Posts
Inspect it

check for cracks,frayed,dried out.It should have lasted longer,Use some belt dressing on it every year to condition the belt.
ohlord:bowdown:

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,488 Posts
So called "belt dressings" soften the rubber to give it more traction, but kill it on the long run. The only stuff I know for sure extends the rubber life is UV protectant "Formula 303"
But engine belts are not exposed to UV, so no need for it and the Formula 303 is slippery when wet, what might bring some sensation.
Serpentine belt last a long time I had mine for 60k before I did preventive replacement only because I had to take it off for other job.
As mentioned above -inspect. If it looks good carry spare with you and make sure you know how to replace it.
I posted it before how broken belt on newly purchased Mercedes ruined my weekend in Tennessee. If you don't find it, take my word for it. Now whenever I buy new (for me) car far away from home, the first thing I am getting for it is the belt.

·
Registered
1994 E320 Wagon,1999 E320 Wagon,2000 E 320 Wagon, MGB Track/Rally, ,1988 300E ,more....
6,019 Posts
Modern

serpentine belts are all of synthetic construction and a good quality dressing will not soften it nor shorten its life of about 50k miles on average.all it will do is remove some of the glazing that forms from friction on the pulleys and prevent slippage under load.

·
Registered
2001 SLK 320(217K Miles), 2002 E320 Special Edition(183K Miles)
3,467 Posts
serpentine belts are all of synthetic construction and a good quality dressing will not soften it nor shorten its life of about 50k miles on average.
I think 50K miles is a bit pessimistic. I've never changed the serpentine belts at less than 100K miles, and then it was still good enough to keep in the car as a spare. And I've never used any conditioning. Now the old V-belts was a different story - they didn't last very long.

·
Registered
6,019 Posts

is the recommended interval for serp belts.Probably on the cautious side but what can go out that will leave you more stranded then the main belt,everything depends on?

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Well, I guess if you use the aircon a lot, that will reduce the life of the belt as well. I use the aircon very sparingly and at 50K the namebrand painted on the belt still looks like new. But I'll agree that you wouldn't find a replacement belt in every small town, so if you're not in the habit of having a spare belt, you better play it safe. I grew up in South Africa where you could sit and wait for days if you broke down, so I always carry some essentials along from habit. Oh yes, and you better carry some Mobil 1 0-40W along if you do long-distance travelling - you don't find that in any filling stations either.
Another thing which is frequently ignored is the radiator hoses, They tend to get hard over time, and with the plastic radiators currently in use, it's a sure way to crack the the radiator pipes - especially the top one, which is more subject to engine movement.

·
Registered
1997 E320, 1997 S320
2,946 Posts
as far as i know my serpentine belt is still the original one from 02/1997, and the car is past 140k miles. i was gonna change it when i replaced the water pump over a year ago, but they sent me the wrong belt, so i kept the old one which looked in pretty good shape. they did send me the right one a week later, but never got myself to change it. the old belt still looks in pretty good shape, but i should replace it sometimes this summer since i already have a new one.

·
Premium Member
2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
17,193 Posts
I don't know what the recommended change interval is according to MB but some freinds have told me that it is a good idea to carry a spare with you, just in case. As Ohlord pointed out, there are so many critical engine components running off that solitary belt.

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
Carry

a spare belt or two pairs of panty hose:thumbsup:

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,488 Posts
You can drive the car without the belt for about 1 mile but not in 100F heat and not uphill. What will help is opening the windows and turning the heat to max. The small circulating pump is electric.

·
Registered
2001-W210-CAPRI METALIC BLUE-/ 2002-W210 E300D
908 Posts
Sitting Down???

20 ( twenty ) years.

I regret all the IM's that this will create, so don't shoot the messenger.

B

PS: I have carried one in the trunk for years.
PS,PS: When I bought it, the parts guy at BHMB laughted at me for doing so.

·
Registered
2002 e320
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
related question

what is the recommended/prudent interval to change the belt tensioner? thanks

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
a spare belt or two pairs of panty hose:thumbsup:
I don't think a panty hose will work anymore on the serpentine pulley system? On the V-belt system you had a deep V in each pulley which kept the panty hose on the pulleys, but the pulleys on the serpentine system is basically flat.

Has anybody ever tried the old trusted backup on these new pulleys?

PS - This probably also mean that you no longer have the excuse to ask your girlfriend to take off her panty hose so that you can 'fix' the car.;);)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts