Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1988 Mercedes 500 sec
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought some polybushes today for my sec they are for replacement of the bushes that hold down the front antirollbar and bushes for the upper control arm
has anyone installed these if so where exactly did you apply the silicon lubricant
were they difficult to open as they are very strong
how good are they

·
Registered
1991 420 SEL
70 Posts
I've never installed them on a MB but have installed poly control arm bushings on a PT Cruiser and 85 Town Car, and have installed poly sway bar bushings on a lot of cars.

They ARE stiff but you'll figure it out how to spread them as needed. The silicone lubricant (I use marine grease) goes between the bushing and moving metal. If they're not greaseable be sure to grease the heck out of them - they may squeak. I also wrap Teflon tape (that the plumbers use) tightly to the very well prepped & cleaned metal (usually the sway bar) where the bushing covers it before greasing liberally. So far so good, in one case 5 years out from doing it.

I don't know how different the control arm bushings were because the old ones were bad on both cars I did. Both cars were also far from sports cars. I do like the poly sway bar bushings, the cars (and trucks) I've done feel better once done. In my mind at least :)

·
Registered
1988 Mercedes 500 sec
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
telon around the bar and then grease what does that help with

·
Registered
1988 Mercedes 500 sec
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
just reading a old thread where ian random said polybushes would be to hard for this suspension set up i hope not as i have purchased them and they were not cheap, i was under the impression they were good

·
Outstanding Contributor
1990 350SDL, "Grandpa's Roadster" Project Car
3,012 Posts
Sway bars rotate in the bushings, hence the grease. Control arm bushings flex but there should be no relative movement between the parts, so, no grease.

·
Registered
1988 Mercedes 500 sec
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
they have sent me grease in both kits
im wondering whether i should use them now dont want it to be to harsh

1 - 7 of 7 Posts