Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Pollen [: Micro gametophytes - pollen grains]

"The sky is falling, the sky is falling" Chicken Little

The yellow fines to coarse powders you see in the air is made up of small sperm cells from blooming plants and are one of the most common allergy triggers. The pollen from trees are the main concern, vehicles get hit with pollen laced trees that include: oak, western red cedar, elm, birch, ash, hickory, polar, sycamore, maple, cypress and walnut (which also leaves an oily residue). Pollen grains of pines, firs, and spruces are winged.

Pollen must be strong to protect the male gametes on their journey. The outer wall of the pollen grain, called the exine, is composed of a very unusual substance called sporopollenin which is very tough.

The inner layer is made of cellulose and is similar in construction to an ordinary plant cell wall; pollen will literally ‘wear’ away wax or polymer sealants.

Pollen isn't removed by air friction as you drive because it adheres to a surface with microscopic barbs that can attach to even a very slightly uneven surface. Carnauba wax molecules, which are closed linked, which means that they only butt up together to protect the surface. They align themselves to form an egg-grate type structure (with their long axis vertical) this is what gives it depth.

This mesh-like structure allows the exine or barbs of the pollen to gain a hold and adheres to a natural wax better than a synthetic polymer. As well as being allergic pollen is also very abrasive (due to its exine or barbs) and slightly acidic dust, especially when mixed with moisture and should therefore be removed from paint surfaces as soon as is practicable.

To remove heavy dust (do not use a California Duster as the pollen exine will cause surface marring) instead use Optimum No Rinse (ONR) a quick ‘wash’; formulated with surfactants to keep dirt in suspension, avoiding surface contact, it also provides surface lubrication, thereby avoiding surface marring. As soon as is practical, thoroughly rinse the vehicle with a hose and clean water to ensure all the pollen is removed.

No wax or polymer sealant can provide a permanent shield against: Micro gametophytes (pollen) Collinite 845 Insulator Wax is probably the most durable Carnauba wax product and / or Finish Kare FK425 Detailing Spray; but either of these may only provide enough of a barrier to enable it to be removed quickly before causing too much damage to the paint film surface

Information resource:
Wikipedia Dictionary - Pollen - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Encyclopædia Britannica Eleventh Edition - Encyclopædia Britannica 30 Day FREE Trial
“Automotive Detailing Inside & Out, A Knowledge Base for the Perfectionist"–

·
Banned
97'C280
3,184 Posts
I'm glad you posted this because some here are under the false assumption that if you wax/polish/seal that the pollen and other contaminents 'mysteriously' pop off the paint, literally, and thus the paint is much more protected. <-- couldn't be further from the truth.

thanks again for the post. :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
2002 CLK 430 Convt. '91 420 SEL, '80 240D, '93 190E Sportline, '70 300 SEL 6.3
1,555 Posts
benz rider, Hmm...I guess the wax manufacturers are lying whores! Here's a couple of statements from them:

When Wolfgang Füzion Estate Wax is applied to your vehicle, the carnauba fuses with the polymers in a cross-linked matrix of protective molecules. This woven polymer shield is your vehicle’s best defense against moisture, airborne pollutants, bird droppings, insects, and UV radiation

And:

1Z Einszett Glanz Wax protects your paintwork from harmful environmental influences such as soot, acid rain, UV rays, sap, bird droppings, car washes, road and ocean airborne salt.

I don't know why you are such an argumentative, stubborn and opinionated fool! Why not just read the posts, occasionally make a non-combative statement, and go on. And, just when I was finally starting to tolerate and almost empathize with you!!:thumbsup:

And, per the administrator, BBAP, "In the end, it is up to each individual to decide if any of the opinions expressed here meet their individual needs. If you read something you have never heard of before and it doesnt sound quite right, then discretion would be the prudent path to take.

You do not use discretion, and worse than that, you do not take the prudent path.

·
Banned
97'C280
3,184 Posts
benz rider, Hmm...I guess the wax manufacturers are lying whores! Here's a couple of statements from them:

When Wolfgang Füzion Estate Wax is applied to your vehicle, the carnauba fuses with the polymers in a cross-linked matrix of protective molecules. This woven polymer shield is your vehicle’s best defense against moisture, airborne pollutants, bird droppings, insects, and UV radiation

And:

1Z Einszett Glanz Wax protects your paintwork from harmful environmental influences such as soot, acid rain, UV rays, sap, bird droppings, car washes, road and ocean airborne salt.

I don't know why you are such an argumentative, stubborn and opinionated fool! Why not just read the posts, occasionally make a non-combative statement, and go on. And, just when I was finally starting to tolerate and almost empathize with you!!:thumbsup:

And, per the administrator, BBAP, "In the end, it is up to each individual to decide if any of the opinions expressed here meet their individual needs. If you read something you have never heard of before and it doesnt sound quite right, then discretion would be the prudent path to take.

You do not use discretion, and worse than that, you do not take the prudent path.

you're kidding right? I'm the one getting attacked for making my own comments and 'moving along' as you put it. the person who started this thread posted FACTS, not FICTION. I was only commending him on shedding even more light on the issue because there seems to be only one train of thought in this forum. Now how about you take your own advice, read the threadstarters comments and skip along yourself instead of jumping in my lap like a bratty 2 yr old! :mad:

·
Registered
89 BMW E34 ///M20 525i
148 Posts
While the pollen sticks to the car, it is not sticking to the paint if there is a proper layer of any type of LSP on the vehicle. So yes, it will protect the paint from this contamination, but sacrificing itself as apposed to the clearcoat.

Same with mineral deposits from water. If there is no wax, the mineral deposits stick to the paint and build-up much faster and become difficult to remove, while on the other hand, if wax or some type of protectant is on it - the deposits don't build up. Same with rain-x, even those coatings manufacturers are putting on newer cars to repel the rain. Same concept.

It's a sacrificial barrier that looks oh so [email protected] good.
People put rain-x on their windshields for that same reason. Sunblock as well...

Hell, 3m clear bra!

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
togwt, how often do you recommend waxing your car? :thumbsup:
I use a polymer sealant (Zanio) topped with a Carnauba wax.

The polymer provides a durable protection (important in the Florida sun) and the wax provides protection from bird excrement, and etc.

I will say that I wax on a 'feel like it' basis as opposed to needed, but three to four times per year (dependent upon climatic conditions)

Wax provides a better barrier from environmental pollution than a polymer, its also easier to use as a sacrificial barrier than a polymer

·
Banned
97'C280
3,184 Posts
I use a polymer sealant (Zanio) topped with a Carnauba wax.

The polymer provides a durable protection (important in the Florida sun) and the wax provides protection from bird excrement, and etc.

I will say that I wax on a 'feel like it' basis as opposed to needed, but three to four times per year (dependent upon climatic conditions)

Wax provides a better barrier from environmental pollution than a polymer, its also easier to use as a sacrificial barrier than a polymer

I see. thanks:thumbsup:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts