Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

I'm just curious about the board's opinions. I am leaning towards the 5 spoke 17 inch wheel option.

• Five spoke alloy wheels

Votes: 49 61.3%
  • Ten spoke alloy wheels

Votes: 29 36.3%
  • Custom wheels - non Mercedes

Votes: 2 2.5%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
2006 SLK 350
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just curious about the board's opinions. I am leaning towards the 5 spoke 17 inch wheel option. For those of you who lurk, here is an opportunity to start posting/polling.

·
Registered
SLK 200, Golf V GTI
269 Posts
Both look great, so I suppose it's a matter of personal taste. For me, I like the aggressive design of the 5 spokes, and the fact you can clean right inside the wheel with a brush.

·
Registered
ML500, SLK55 AMG
258 Posts
I have 5 spoke AMG wheels on my 2002 ML500, and am looking for a change. Not too bad to clean at all really.

·
Registered
'06 BMW 6.30 Coupe
119 Posts
5 spoke is better I think.

·
Registered
2005 SLK350 2011 GLK3504X 2006 ML350(selling when GLK arrives)
1,940 Posts
Double the pleasure...double the fun...10 spoke keeps me on the run...[:D][:D][:D]

·
Registered
S280 SLK350 A200
132 Posts
My first sports car was an MGB with wire wheels.....never again. When it comes to cleaning the fewer spokes the better.
Rusper

·
Registered
SLK 350
155 Posts
I agree with Malabuite, the 10 spoke is much more elegant than the same-old-same-old 5 spoke that you see on those fabulously sporty cars like the Ford Taurus, Minivans and just about every other also-ran cars.

No offense to those that like the 5 spokes, to each his own, but this is the single reason I didn't get the AMG package, I just hate the plane jane 5 spokes wheels.

If I used the same philosophy on ease of cleaning, I would have had the dentist pull every other tooth, so I wouldn't have to spend so much time cleaning my teeth!!!! Sorry, I just couldn't resist saying that!

·
Registered
350 SLK
1,528 Posts
roadsterboy - 3/11/2005 3:11 AM

I agree with Malabuite, the 10 spoke is much more elegant than the same-old-same-old 5 spoke that you see on those fabulously sporty cars like the Ford Taurus, Minivans and just about every other also-ran cars.

No offense to those that like the 5 spokes, to each his own, but this is the single reason I didn't get the AMG package, I just hate the plane jane 5 spokes wheels.

If I used the same philosophy on ease of cleaning, I would have had the dentist pull every other tooth, so I wouldn't have to spend so much time cleaning my teeth!!!! Sorry, I just couldn't resist saying that!
LOL...love your analogy!

Everyone compliments me on the wheels and they all think that I had to pay extra for them as they think the plain 5-spoke are standard and the 10 spoke cost a couple of grand extra. Of course, I let them think that[:D]

·
Registered
R171 SLK200 2005
475 Posts
rusper - 3/11/2005 8:36 AM

My first sports car was an MGB with wire wheels.....never again. When it comes to cleaning the fewer spokes the better.
Rusper
When I used to help my Dad wash his Audi Quattro - his treat for me, was to wash his alloy wheels. I'm sure they must have had at least 20 spokes, cause the only way to clean them was with a tooth brush!!!!! [:0] [xx(] [}:)]

Needless to say I'm a 5 Spoke Girl!!!! [:X]

But then I've had no luck with wheels. I previously had a Rav4, and the muck on the wheels became ingrained in - Wonder Wheels wouldn't even bring it off, so in the end, had to get them sand-blasted and resprayed [:(] But they did look good afterwards!!! [8D]

And my current SLK had it's alloy's replaced under the warrenty, cause the laquer finish was coming away from the wheel (mainly around the centre), and the brake dust was getting trapped - looked awful. [B)]

So am keeping my fingers crossed that the alloy's I've choosen on my new SLK don't give me any hassle!!! [:D]

·
Registered
SLK 350
2,327 Posts
Be aware that there are several variations of the 5 spoke wheel. The U.S. AMG 5 spokes are flat spokes (sorry but I don't like them). The Europeans and Australians have fancier spokes that I think look great. These are similar to the wheels on the U.S. Launch Edition.

·
Registered
2005 SLK350 2011 GLK3504X 2006 ML350(selling when GLK arrives)
1,940 Posts
roadsterboy - 3/11/2005 3:11 AM

I agree with Malabuite, the 10 spoke is much more elegant than the same-old-same-old 5 spoke that you see on those fabulously sporty cars like the Ford Taurus, Minivans and just about every other also-ran cars...

I also like roadsterboys analogy and like that my 10 spoke don't look so close to the 5 spoke on my M Class SUV...[:D][:D][:D]...for the teeth analogy...[:D][:D][:D]

·
Registered
350 SLK
1,528 Posts
beverage - 3/11/2005 6:38 AM

rusper - 3/11/2005 8:36 AM

Rusper
When I used to help my Dad wash his Audi Quattro - his treat for me, was to wash his alloy wheels. I'm sure they must have had at least 20 spokes, cause the only way to clean them was with a tooth brush!!!!! [:0] [xx(] [}:)]

Needless to say I'm a 5 Spoke Girl!!!! [:X]

But then I've had no luck with wheels. I previously had a Rav4, and the muck on the wheels became ingrained in - Wonder Wheels wouldn't even bring it off, so in the end, had to get them sand-blasted and resprayed [:(] But they did look good afterwards!!! [8D]

And my current SLK had it's alloy's replaced under the warrenty, cause the laquer finish was coming away from the wheel (mainly around the centre), and the brake dust was getting trapped - looked awful. [B)]

So am keeping my fingers crossed that the alloy's I've choosen on my new SLK don't give me any hassle!!! [:D]
Beverage, you're a girl! I was beginning to think that Roberta, Carol K and I were the only women on this forum. Glad to know there are more than 3! Any others willing to come out??

·
Registered
R171 SLK200 2005
475 Posts
malibuite - 3/11/2005 3:58 PM

Beverage, you're a girl! I was beginning to think that Roberta, Carol K and I were the only women on this forum. Glad to know there are more than 3! Any others willing to come out??
Well last time I checked I was!!! [:X] [;)] (Beverage = Bev!! [8D])

·
Registered
SLK350 6MT
294 Posts
I chose the 10 spoke because I thought they were more elegant. I have cleaned them three times now and it is not so bad. My wife bought me a couple of bottle brushes, actually it is a cluster of sponges on a plastic stick. It works really well to get in deep between the spoke. The real pain was doing the Zaino on them. Oh, the price of beauty.

·
Registered
SLK350, BMW K1200LT
808 Posts
I chose 10 spoke in the UK as they are a £110 (bout $200US) option. I think they are standard in the US of A, and 5 spokes are a +cost option there. I like the look of 10 spokes, but they do take a bit more cleaning as my butler will vouch for (I wish!!). Seem to be standard on German touring car championship cars.

PS...well done Malibuite on sussing out Bev's gender - mind feel sorry for her with all those Cumbrian upland sheep to choose from[:eek:)][:I][:D]

·
Registered
350 SLK
1,528 Posts
Who is doing the voting? After several months on this forum, I never realized that over 60% of SLK owners have 5 spokes. could this be true???[:0]

·
Registered
R171 SLK200 2005
475 Posts
Woolly - 3/12/2005 9:15 PM

PS...well done Malibuite on sussing out Bev's gender - mind feel sorry for her with all those Cumbrian upland sheep to choose from[:eek:)][:I][:D]
Oh yes, they're a classy bunch!!!!! [;)] [}:)]

1 - 20 of 48 Posts