Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:) I own a '98 E320 which is white with gray leather interior (almost mint). Since I'm 72 years old now, it's not as easy to clean and polish the car as it use to be. Is there a really good polish/cleaner which would be reasonably easy for me to use, or should I just give up and take it to a detail shop. I hate to do that because I don't know what they'll put on the car. Anyway, if it has to be a shop, what do I look for in order to get a nice job instead of a quickie, cheap-ass deal?
Thanks,
Hemersam
Garland, Texas :bowdown:

·
Banned
4,583 Posts
Take it to a professional with a good reputation. Anything that is a easy isn't going to last (ex: spray wax) or really do the car much good.

·
Premium Member
1,555 Posts
Hemersam, There is a variety of answers for you to "do it yourself". These range from the extremely anal (yours truly) - multi step, long, involved - to the occasional 2 or 3 times per year guy (you), which can be done in an afternoon. Example, I have recently spent almost 30 hours on just one side of my 1980! If you are looking for a simple but effective, short method of polishing your car, use a one-step product. It is the most basic, easy system to clean up your car. Meguiar's makes an excellent cleaner-wax that will do just that. Wash your car thoroughly, dry, them use some soft cotton rags and go to it. That is the basic, easy clean up. Here is the sight to see the product, it is also available at all auto parts stores.

Car Care Products: Car Waxes to Leather Cleaners, Meguiar's the Leader in Car and Surface Care since 1901 (select consumer products, waxes)

Hope this answers part of your questions.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hey Hemersam,

The best item for you before the detail shop would be an Orbital Buffer, like the Porter Cable 7424. It is simple to use and affective, and since it is an Orbital you don't have to worry about burning the paint.

Let me know what you think!

Thanks,

1 - 5 of 5 Posts