Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1995 E320
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The alloy wheels (original MB 8 hole style) on my 1995 E320 are starting to look a bit worse for wear. I wash them regularly but they're starting to pit and leave small markings on the surface that I can't seem to remove with just soap and water. I've tried some wheel cleaners but they don't make a difference. I tried some rubbing compound and that worked, but then I needed to wax the wheels. A friend suggested using the Mothers Metal Polish with the Powerball, but I understand it's only for uncoated metal surfaces. Has anyone found a good approach to keeping the wheels looking good? I've thought about buying new rims from adsitco.com - they're only about $150 a rim. No idea about the quality though.

·
Registered
SL320, 300e, 450SL
1,044 Posts
Bob...I just bought a 16" set of ASA wheels (made by BBS), from the tire rack last week for $109/each and the quality was very impressive and the new look of my 91 300e was improved by some 5 years. I always wax my wheels at least monthly w/ a good general polish/wax to protect the clear coat from brake contaminents and other crud. I would NEVER suggest using acid based wheel cleaners esp if you see pitting in your wheels. Check out tire rack on the wheels. I bought tires too and it was only $890 to my door! good luck, bc

·
Registered
55 Posts
hi

i use Belgom alu polish for my 8 hole wheels
i dont know if its in your country for sale.
they used it for motorparts to polish it

good luck

grtz.Wallietax

·
Registered
1995 E320
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks bc and Wallietax. I like the idea of replacing the rims and then maintaining them with polish/wax. I looked at Tire Rack and the equivalent rims are only $99. Sounds like a no-brainer!
Bob

1 - 4 of 4 Posts