Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wasnt planning on it but i came home from school today and my dad was cleaning his 2002 E320 for the last time (he sold it today) only 17000 miles. So i figured i would clean and polish the 123 and do some work to it. Ive put on maybe 150 miles since i bought it about 2-3 months ago and havnt yet insured it.

Im planning a trip to seattle (lake sammamish) on May 5th, to a big VW meet, there should be about 250 cars and there was soposed to be some 123 guys comming out, im not sure if they still are or not. So I started to polish and tire shine and clean the black trim, clean the windows, and i removed the radio that was in it, its from a 126 body and doesnt work. Tomorow the CD-Player goes in and i have to remove and WD-40 the drivers side door handle as it sticks.

Im going to put in 2 new tie rods this weekend and she will be ready to fly.

I need a couple parts if anyone in Vancouver has these things please let me know. Passenger side turn signal and a hood star. Thanks.

·
Registered
83 300d turbo, 79 c123 AMG
1,870 Posts
Looks very nice. Is that Maple yellow or Manilla beige?

Trick of the trade, try using shoe polish on the trim. It does wonders, but if you do and get some on the paint, wipe it up quick because if it fully dries, it is a pain to remove.

I look forward to more pictures. It ought to be a cherry with less than 100k.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Boardmonger said:
Looks very nice. Is that Maple yellow or Manilla beige?

Trick of the trade, try using shoe polish on the trim. It does wonders, but if you do and get some on the paint, wipe it up quick because if it fully dries, it is a pain to remove.

I look forward to more pictures. It ought to be a cherry with less than 100k.
The best is KIWI show dye. its hard to find but is like magic, alot better then polish but i still havnt used either on the car. The car shows 98600 miles but i think its alot more then that. But its pretty decent, ill make it look great by the time im done with it.

I dont know which but im pretty sure its beige. The picture isnt great because i busted the screen a few days ago on the camera and i cant see what im shooting until i upload, so ill take some good pictures with my girlfriends camera in a few days.

·
Registered
Mercedes 300te
1,972 Posts
I think we have the same color beige.. Looks like a copy of my car..

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I dont really want to post front end pictures as its still missing a turn signal and a hood star but heres one anyways. And the rear shot shows how shiney it is =). Im going to polish it again maybe in an hour or so.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Someone stole the hood star before i purchased the car. I will get one next week sometime.

Thanks for the compliments guys.

·
Registered
1989w126
708 Posts
Silver star thieves. I always wonder what they do with them.
Amazing how the w123 looks so nice with so many different personnalities.
Nice work !

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
It's hard photographing beige cars and making it look shiny.

Try doing it in the shade, but in the afternoon sun. ;)

·
Registered
1981 300D
646 Posts
How do you guys get the oxidation out? My car was repainted and I still have issues with it on my trunk.

·
Registered
81' 300SD, 82' 300D
4,022 Posts
WeVonBraun said:
Silver star thieves. I always wonder what they do with them.
Prob end up on eBay. "Hey! Used Hood Star, Fits most 1972-1993 MBs, replace your stolen hood star with this one!"

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I dont think this car has been polished since the 80s. I spent about 3 hours with some cut up towels and a bottle of meguires and it looks pretty decent. Im going to do it again this weekend. Ofcourse with a polisher this would turn out super shiney but by hand its difficult to bring out that new like paint.

The CD-Player is being installed as we speak =). In about 15 minutes my mercedes should be making music.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Oh yeah i was going to ask, what models will a hood star fit from, my friend has like 10 at home, and he doesnt even have a mercedes, never did. so im going to hopefully find one that works in his stash.

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
You want a little secret? Get Meguiar's #7. Apply only a small amount, that thing is very hard to buff off.

Sean, paint cleaner is used to remove oxidation.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sweet, productive day today.

New fuel fitler
New Tie rods W/ends
New fuel lines under hood
GOT A HOOD STAR AND PUT IT ON.

All i need to do now is an oil change, allignment and i still need a turn signal, then ill be good to go.

·
Registered
81' 300SD, 82' 300D
4,022 Posts
Any hoodstar from a 86-93 W124, all W126s, or all W201s should fit a W123.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts