Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Banned
1992 500SL, 2009 C300, 1998 Skyline GT
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i got a ticket for no front license plate and tinted front windows. any suggestions from those with experience? i don't care about paying i just don't want to fix anything. are you aloud to do that just pay them to go away

·
Registered
Departed 1998 SL500 (and the Pano is in Bogota)
11,122 Posts
Both are No No in California.
What does the ticket say ? If it is equipment violation, then it needs to be corrected and inspected.

·
Administrator
1998 Pano SL500; 1993 SL500; 2005 ML270cdi
8,841 Posts
Check if the infractions are correct in your area. If yes, smile and pay up.

·
Banned
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah i knew i was breaking the rules. so im not really mad but since i just finished the last of my ceramic tint yesterday i dont want to take it off... it keeps the hot weather we have been having out. lol. as for the plate its ugly but if that keeps them away then i can put it on. its under california vehicle code on the ticket. i think it was 4200 if i remember correct for the plate the tint i dont remember... it doesn't look like it will be expensive but like i said i don't want to take my tint off. i parked on the street at the end of the month so he nabbed me in the middle of the night i would suspect to make quota. i knew i shouldn't have stayed over at my friends last night ha. so i will look into it. i noticed it was strange that the prices for the ticket conflicted with each other. i thought that was interesting on the front it said the violation cost 105~ on the back it said 85 the obviously dont read their fine print... lol

·
Registered
Departed 1998 SL500 (and the Pano is in Bogota)
11,122 Posts
Some violations like burn out tail light doesn't even carry a fine, but require inspection and sign off by an officer (or light test station) after it is fixed.

·
Banned
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hopefully it will work in my favor on a positive note in a few days i get some 18s rotary forged tsw staggered setup installed. nexxen tires idk if they are any good i plan on using Michelin when they need to be replaced. that will make me feel better. i've got roughly 30k left in mods to do. there are other things beyond it but thats the major chunk of it. maybe i should buy new windows to swap in and out as needed. lol.

·
Registered
99 E430, 01 E430 Sport, 00 SL500
3,266 Posts
California police might be under budget strain.. My friend got a ticket for having no front license plate when his BMW was parked in the street. Now you will have holes on the front bumper. When bringing the car in for inspection, they will yank the plate to make sure it is secured. Those who still don't have front license plate on, install a retractable license frame. When you want to show off the virgin bumper, push the remote control to retract it under the car.

·
Registered
97SL500R129, 01ML320W163, 94E320W124 & 93500EW124
2,921 Posts
... don't care about paying i just don't want to fix anything. are you aloud to do that just pay them to go away
If you know someone (peace officer) how would sign off the citation (without fixing); you could just pay the fine. But, you can't just pay the fine without the sign off.

Time to visit your neighbor who is a peace officer and would accept your promise to fix it soon:D

·
Banned
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well mine came with holes... unfortunately. however for 1200 i can slap on a new bumper then re paint my whole car solid instead of 2 tone so temporarily it will be ok to me to just screw it in. but... my front bumber and the plate dont exactly have the same idea of a straight line :p i dont want to bend the plate maybe ill buy the plate holder from the dealer in the mean time.

·
Banned
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
oops dont want to be mistaken 1200 for a new bumper 5000k~ for paint.

·
Banned
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well i have an uncle. haha and a neighbor thats an undercover... but to get a police officer to look the other way would be wrong to me. dmv can check it off it says let one of them take the fall. i like my local police uncorrupted :p

·
Registered
1997 SL600
203 Posts
^^^ what edcarls said, only way on tint. Do not get a friend with a similar car and put your plate on it to get it signed off, officers usually check the VIN too (they aren't dumb). I'd imagine the downside is steep. Not that you would do that, but just in case...FYI

For the front plate it is a bit easier. Just rig up something to hold it where the tow hook cover is, get it signed off, and remove it again.

FWIW - I don't run front plates for aesthetic reasons. I get a ticket for one of my three cars every year or two. If it is cited while parked in the city (Parking Police) I just pay a small fine, maybe $25. If I'm actually pulled over I need to have an officer sign off or it's like $250, with signature maybe $10. This is norcal HTH

·
Banned
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
its 10 if i put the plate back on i like that idea better than 100~. i had thought of ziptieing it but then i was ashamed of myself for thinking of such a trashy thing for my mercedes :p but for the 10 minutes it takes ill probably do that. its the easiest. never had a problem until now. my dads e350 doesnt have one either and hes had no problems

·
Registered
1996 SL500
282 Posts
Been driving cars with no front plate in CA since 1981... Never been pulled over. I think he pulled you for the tint then added the no plate as a bonus.

·
Banned
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i wasnt pulled over.... my car was parked i was alseep it was 430 am.

·
Undercover Moderator
2002 SL BRABUS 5.8 Silver Arrow; 1992 SL BRABUS B11; 1996 S Class diplomat ride
5,331 Posts
No way around it....... Correct it, have it inspect and pay the fine....... The end.....

·
Premium Member
95 SL500, K&N, NEOKEN Ported TB, Custom Intake, RENNtech Sport Exhaust, AMG I Monoblocks
10,980 Posts
i got a ticket for no front license plate and tinted front windows. any suggestions from those with experience? i don't care about paying i just don't want to fix anything. are you aloud to do that just pay them to go away
You have already received a citation just one day after the tint was installed.
If the tint remains, your chances of getting cited again are inevitable as it's only a matter of time.

I have lived in states which require a front plate, many people place them under the windshield as an alternative for drilling holes in the bumper.
This is exactly what I did with both G35 coupes that I had once owned before.

Some may argue the driver/occupant safety aspect of placing it in such an area, please use your own judgment.
If you are seeking legal advice, it is best to contact a local attorney in your county for a free consultation.

·
Undercover Moderator
2002 SL BRABUS 5.8 Silver Arrow; 1992 SL BRABUS B11; 1996 S Class diplomat ride
5,331 Posts
You have already received a citation just one day after the tint was installed.
If the tint remains, your chances of getting cited again are inevitable as it's only a matter of time.

I have lived in states which require a front plate, many people place them under the windshield as an alternative for drilling holes in the bumper.
This is exactly what I did with both G35 coupes that I had once owned before.

Some may argue the driver/occupant safety aspect of placing it in such an area, please use your own judgment.
If you are seeking legal advice, it is best to contact a local attorney in your county for a free consultation.

Wow.... that a lowwww G35....:D... Side view pictures please.:)....

1 - 20 of 39 Posts