Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
All,
I am about to join the R Class ranks with the purchase of a 2006 R500 (V251) this coming week. I'm going to take a look at it on Wednesday, and if all looks good, I'll buy it. It's white on black, not my favorite color of interior (love the grey to death), but it will do.
My first thought is to make a Carlsson R CM 50 Clone, or tribute out of the thing. I see that Carlsson no longer makes parts for the M113, or at least I can't find them if they do ( please respond here if you guys can get some headers for the M113 NA that fit the W/V251, thx). SO, I'm thinking tribute because it will look like at R CM50, but have none of the performance. If I can get the performance parts, then a Clone it will be.

Here's a pic from when I looked at it a few weeks ago:

I took it for a test drive, was impressed with the power, but not the clunking that I heard from the drive train when accelerating. I'm hoping it's just motor mounts, which is what I'll use as a bargaining chip.
Good:
My buddy hit it with a STAR setup and it reveled only two codes: 1) Prox. sensor is not responding in front bumper, and 2) License plate light is out.
Can't beat that with a stick.
Bad:
A few dents and scrapes, as normal for a (ex-) kid hauler. And no previous records, oh and only one key.
All somethings I can deal with.
First mods will be ride height and wheels. May even wrap it, depends on how well the paint scratches clean up.

This will be my 7th Mercedes-Benz and will join a current fleet consisting of my wife's 1997 C230 (W202, #5) and my 1999 CL600 (C140, #6).
I have a very detailed thread going over in the W140 part documenting my CL600's rehab. I will make one here for this car, but it probably won't be as extensive.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Late update. Both the R500's I was looking at slipped out of my grasp before I could finalize the purchase. I have my eye on another and will keep looking if that one falls though.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts