Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
8,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got to move the waste pipe fitting for the new sink in the outdoor kitchen. The Memsahib wants the grill where the sink should go and the sink where the grill should go. Typical.

I've got a pipe sticking out the concrete pad which splits into two then has an upside-down U at the top. The soil pipe from the sink connects in halfway up one of the pipes that goes up to the upside down U.

What is this arrangement called?

What's it for?

Can I live without it?

Thanks chaps.

·
Moderately subtle
11,983 Posts
I think you're describing the "trap," which is a "loop seal" arrangement to provide a seal between your sink drain and the house drain it flows into. The water that sits in that "U" after the draining stops provides an air seal between your sink and the main drain line to keep you from smelling all the shit (literally) flowing in from the commodes. No, you can't do without it unless your shit doesn't stink.

·
Registered
5,536 Posts
You can tap into the existing sewer drain line..and circumvent the house venting system by installing a Studor Vent downstream from your sink trap.

·
Registered
8,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You can tap into the existing sewer drain line..and circumvent the house venting system by installing a Studor Vent downstream from your sink trap.
Huh?

·
Registered
8,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
5,536 Posts
Nowhere except the sewer line at the bottom.
Then it has to be vented in order to drain properly, which means, since you are moving the location of the fixture, you either have to re-vent the line..or.as I always found it easier to do..install a Studor vent. The unit should cost about $40 .
Studor vent is just a peice that draws air from the atmosphere..eliminateing the need to vent the fixture through the roof.

Meaning..instead of scratching your head trying to figure out the venting system, and how to tie it in..just glue on the Studor and forget about it.

Google Studor Vent/ or see You Yube...go from there.

·
Moderately subtle
11,983 Posts
No. It's not a U-bend (UK) or P-trap (US). It's an upside down U. The small pipes in front are the hot and cold faucet lines.
Looks like a shoddy attempt at plumbing in a drain by a non-plumber, someone who’s seen a trap but doesn’t know what it’s for. I’d hack it all out, put the sink where you want it, and install a proper trap.

·
Registered
8,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Looks like a shoddy attempt at plumbing in a drain by a non-plumber, someone who’s seen a trap but doesn’t know what it’s for. I’d hack it all out, put the sink where you want it, and install a proper trap.
I'm sure it has some alleged purpose, but I can't for the life of me figure out what.

We don't have these (or at least didn't have these) in the UK or France, where I've re-plumbed houses before.

I guess I'll ask around at work then if no-one here has any reason not to I will hack it out and plumb in a regular P-trap under the sink.

·
Registered
10,928 Posts
Look like an old drain line someone was trying to cap. but instead of buying a proper cap, he just glue on some old plumbing parts he had laying around.

·
Registered
8,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Look like an old drain line someone was trying to cap. but instead of buying a proper cap, he just glue on some old plumbing parts he had laying around.
New (well 4 years old now) house. I reckon the guy just put in a Y fitting then the foreman told him to cap it.

I asked all the American injunears around here what it was for and none of them had a clue either.

It's coming off tonight and I'll glue in a proper down line and P-trap under the sink.

·
Registered
5,536 Posts
No need..YouTube is available to get even an amatuer on track.
But sometimes its more entertaining to waste peoples time by posting here on bwot.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
About this Discussion
31 Replies
12 Participants
Shane
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing