Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Purple Moderator
99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
22,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well after doing all other items involving the engine's fuel and spark system a couple of months ago I put off the inevitable.
Let me start by saying that I was very disappointed with the Beru wires used the last time.
They did not endure the 104,500 miles and 5 years. They were stiff, contacts at the coil plug were in rough shape and the rubber inside the metal connector was deformed and had shrunk on some wire. Also a design issue that makes servicing them really hurt this task.
The project started on Saturday. I was ready for a grueling two hours, but it did not take long for the project to come to a stop due the Beru wires. Going back to the design issue I mentioned. The metal connector at the plug end is at least 1" shorter that OEM or Bosch. (I have never compared them to Karlynn) So being 1" shorter at this critical part of the construction made using a 17mm offset wrench impossible to get onto connector and just pop it off. I had to go in there with long angled needle nose pliers and vice grips. Eventually this cause damage to the rubber above the metal and in one case tore the rubber right off the metal connector. So I got the Bosch set from Amazon shipped Saturday and they arrived Monday at 4pm.
Got the job all finished up using the NGK Laser Iridium plugs. Very happy with the results.

So how does the truck thank me? While taking it on about a 20 minute test drive I went to raise the drivers window and POP the rear of the window came up and the front did not. I was able to guide it back up by hand. I guess it is regulator time for that window. :banghead:
I am seriously think about having the dealer do it, I hate working on body stuff like the windows. Somebody talk please talk me out of taking it to the dealer.

Anyway for those that have Beru plug wires installed if you can not clearly see the metal connector protruding from the cylinder head spark plug areas then you may end up in the same situation or need to come up with a much better way to get them off. Having a spare set of wires ready to go may not be a bad idea. I have done several twin spark engines. Of course mine is the only one that had Beru wire on them. It was all World Pak had at the time 4 years ago.

·
Registered
ML320 2002
1,600 Posts
Noodles, if you disconnected the battery when doing the wires, try synchronizing the windows.

·
Registered
1999 Ml430
351 Posts
There is no problem with the Beru wires if you compare them to the Bosch garbage coming from China lately. Just get a Mercedes Lisel wire tool for around $9

·
Premium Member
02 ML320 06 ML500
17,098 Posts
Noodles, if you disconnected the battery when doing the wires, try synchronizing the windows.
Merz, you missed what he said "I went to raise the drivers window and POP the rear of the window came up and the front did not. I was able to guide it back up by hand. I guess it is regulator time for that window."

·
Registered
ML320 2002
1,600 Posts
Merz, you missed what he said "I went to raise the drivers window and POP the rear of the window came up and the front did not. I was able to guide it back up by hand. I guess it is regulator time for that window."
I was reading it too fast thinking he said "rear window came up, not the front".

·
Registered
05 ML500 SE
1,482 Posts
I have had my front driver window like that for over a year. I just put pressure with my hand to guide it while I raise it. Such a hack but since I also need a door lock actuator on the same door I have been seriously procrastinating.

·
Purple Moderator
22,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
@Wiley, I agree Bosch wire quality is not what it used to be. However the Lisle OEM wires were in much
better shape at 125k miles than the Beru. I would more concerned with getting them off cleanly seeing
as the metal connector is so short. That really is the reason I posted the info. If the Bosch only last
50k miles that is fine. They were only $129 on Amazon.

@43, Thank you. It was the drivers front door not rear so after I made this post I found a thread where you posted the info for the regulator.
I already ordered the regulator, rivets and went to the body shop to grab the big two handled rivet
tool with the interchangeable tip sizes.
Parts will be at me by 9am Weds. At that point it I will give it a try and report back in new thread.

·
Purple Moderator
22,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Regulator Success

Well thanks to the encouragement of 43 I got the parts at 2:30pm. Started at 3pm and
had all the tools put away at 3:55pm with a nice smooth working window.

The entire time we owned it since new it used to make a small thump at the halfway point
of going all the way the up.
Now it is silent and also a tad bit quicker both up and down. I am a happy camper.

·
Registered
2015 ML250 BTC
1,314 Posts
Don't fret about it --- I took ours to the dealer for the drivers' window and it was very easy.

·
Registered
ML320 Dec 2000 build RHD
47 Posts
Noodles I sympathises with you. I have just done a sparkplug change on my ML320. I think they must be the original plugs and wires. The truck has done 170,000km and I think they were due for a change. I too bought the 17mm spanner, didn't go anywhere near the wires, so i welded an 11mm spanner to the end, like that worked! Had to resort to vice grips :(

So after I had finished this butchery I now have to order a new set of wires. I have ordered the Karlyn/STI wires. Hopefully my coils won't quit after running for a week or so on damaged wires :)

·
Registered
1998 ML320
613 Posts
Don't fret about it --- I took ours to the dealer for the drivers' window and it was very easy.
LOL. Look what I was able to do using only a credit card! The horror of it all, you might have almost broken out in a sweat getting it out of your wallet...:D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts