97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone have part nos and recommend a place to buy the items''''

the following are gone

1: lower control arm bushings
2: front outer sway bar bushings
3: cv boots -outer-front
4:front inner and outer tie rod ends

is there any kits available and would you recommend changing the ball joints now--vehicle has appx 135 miles on it

thank you

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,633 Posts
Are you doing the work yourself or having it done? If the latter, check with your shop, many will not allow you to bring in your own parts. If your labor is involved you may decide to buy replacement CAs that come with bushings, then you don't have to pay to have the bushings pressed out and back in, more money but easier and less time-consuming.

If the former, check with autohausaz, importec, mercedesparts and see what they charge to ship up to Canada.

If you're doing CA bushings, I would also do ball joints. All of this is labor intensive and once you're in there the additional labor to do them isn't much. Moreover, you need to do an alignment after either, so if you split it up you have to pay for two alignments.

Take care and enjoy the ride,
Greg

·
Registered
96 E-320, 91 190E, various and sundry Euro and American vehicles
12,141 Posts
inderbir
(and Hey, Greg)
I did a lot of the same front end repairs you are talking of. Greg I sorta disagree on the lower control arm thing, but understand your point. Let me explain on that, and also comment some on the front end parts.
I bought my car last spring and low and behold after I had it a few days, I was getting what sounded like an unsafe rattle. The previous owner had soaked down all of the rubber parts with something and I believe it expanded the rubber temporarily, but after I bought the car, the stuff dried up and the rattles started. A trusted ( so I thought, but I think he's just green on MB) mechanic told me the rattle was ball joints, and would only replace with OEM parts ( thus Gregs point about bringing in parts, since they get their cut on the parts.).

Well. OEM Ball joints upper and lower were nearly $1k without labor. I was heartbroken.
Another Benz mechanic put it up on the rack and showed me the lower control arm bushings were real sloppy, and the (i think) links were also shot.
I talked to a friend who offered to replace the control arm bushings for $100 in labor. The bushings (autohaus) were $90 a side, So for $280 and a hefty tip they were done. He had torches and spring compressors that I didn't have. Greg, I know this was super cheap labor but you can't beat $90 a side, compared to ~$250 a side. The other point I want to add, is an alignment may not be necessary if you are putting it back to stock settings. I never bothered getting aligned and a year later the tire wear and tracking are perfect. Was I lucky? All I am saying, is drive it and watch it before springing on alignment.
The other parts. Lower ball joints and various others were relatively cheap. Actually with $144K miles the lowers really didn't need it and the uppers are fine as well.
Overall now the front end is uptight and everything was done for ~$7-800.oo with much of my own labor.

For what it's worth.

Next is a lowering from info gleaned from this site. Down 1 to 1 1/2 " in front and 2" in rear (the rear is too high.

Aardvark

·
Registered
12,141 Posts
Mfgr was Lemfoerder as I recall.
If that helps

Aardvark

·
Registered
12,141 Posts
Partsgeek.com

$54.00 per side. Cheaper than I got them for.

Aardvark

1 - 7 of 7 Posts