Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
350 SLK
1,528 Posts
jmejones - 3/18/2005 6:33 AM

Wow[:0]
Is this what your dealer is selling it for or did you get this from the MB website?

I just purchased my windscreen 2 weeks ago and paid $449. less a 20% discount plus sales tax. Total was about $386.00.

·
Registered
2004 SL600 Renntech ECU/TCU Upgrade...many other mods
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I saw it on a dealers website. I got mine free when I picked up my 55 due to the 10 month wait.

·
Registered
06 SLK 55 Firemist
1,580 Posts
It is listed as $449.00 MSRP on the MB web site as of now. It sounds like a dealer is trying to gouge you.

·
Registered
2004 SL600 Renntech ECU/TCU Upgrade...many other mods
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm not trying to buy one, I just happened to run across it and wanted to alert the club. Suckers are born everyday, just not here today[:D]

·
Registered
2007 ML320 CDI - Silver/Ash
355 Posts
What a rip off.
I paid $300.00 for mine.

·
Registered
slk 55
366 Posts
malibuite - 3/18/2005 9:38 AM

Is this what your dealer is selling it for or did you get this from the MB website?

I just purchased my windscreen 2 weeks ago and paid $449. less a 20% discount plus sales tax. Total was about $386.00.
Malibuite, how did you get a 20% discount?

·
Registered
350 SLK
1,528 Posts
shark22 - 3/18/2005 8:17 AM

malibuite - 3/18/2005 9:38 AM

Malibuite, how did you get a 20% discount?
When I went to pick up my windscreen my salesperson told the parts person to give me the discount.

But some other people on this forum (maybe DuoArt?) mentioned that they had received coupons from MB for 20% discount on all parts/accessories. I don't know if their coupons were related to MB club membership or not. I just joined the MB club so will be interested to see what I get besides the magazine.

·
Registered
SLK 350
2,327 Posts
It was a 10% discount and had nothing to do with any club. It was part of a mailer that they sent to all of their M/B customers.

·
Registered
350 SLK
1,528 Posts
Duo-Art - 3/18/2005 9:31 AM

It was a 10% discount and had nothing to do with any club. It was part of a mailer that they sent to all of their M/B customers.
Sorry, though it was 20% and the reason I thought it was related to club membership is that neither I nor any of my Mercedes owning friends have received discount coupons for anything[:(]

·
Registered
2005 SLK350 2011 GLK3504X 2006 ML350(selling when GLK arrives)
1,940 Posts
I find there is some lattitude at the dealer. I bought my windscreen with a 10% off coupon and some all weather mats were missordered, so when I came back and got them from the dealer, they gave me 20% off them (figures it would be the $59 purchase with the 20%)...[B)]

·
Registered
SLK 350 MT
148 Posts
Save yourself $449 , $600 or just about any other number you can imagine. Drive at 60-70 mph on a nice day to see if the wind is objectionable. Today at 54 degrees with airscarf on low, heat at 72 and windows up, 60 mph was quite comfortable with little wind intrusion. I don't think the plex is worth the cash or the room it takes in the trunk when not being used.

·
Registered
06 SLK 55 Firemist
1,580 Posts
dsballdo - 3/18/2005 11:17 PM

Save yourself $449 , $600 or just about any other number you can imagine....I don't think the plex is worth the cash or the room it takes in the trunk when not being used.
You should try driving with the wind blocker before make the statement that you "...don't think the plex is worth the cash...". It reduces the cabin turbulence (and noise level) significantly and the heat is retained much better. Most importantly it eliminates buffeting completely which causes an irritating low frequency nose and constant cabin pressure changes. Mine has never taken up even 1" of trunk space because there is no reason to remove it ever. Although removing (and installing) is so easy to do and takes all of 30 seconds (well designed unit) then stowed in the MB quality storage bag. As for the price it IS expensive as ALL MB cars, options, and accessory are but keep in mind $500 still represent less than 1% of the total cost of the car. Someone else could use the same "Save yourself" money argument that the heating package is not worth $950 when you can buy the wind blocker for 1/2 the price.

·
Registered
SLK 350 MT
148 Posts
And the added bonus of relections in the rear view mirror at night. wow, sign me up! If you don't want the wind , keep the top and windows up. Maybe the Porsche folks are right. We're just a bunch of girly men [;)]

·
Registered
SLK350, BMW K1200LT
808 Posts
Julien - 3/17/2005 1:23 PM

dsballdo - 3/18/2005 11:17 PM

Save yourself $449 , $600 or just about any other number you can imagine....I don't think the plex is worth the cash or the room it takes in the trunk when not being used.
You should try driving with the wind blocker before make the statement that you "...don't think the plex is worth the cash...". It reduces the cabin turbulence (and noise level) significantly and the heat is retained much better. Most importantly it eliminates buffeting completely which causes an irritating low frequency nose and constant cabin pressure changes. Mine has never taken up even 1" of trunk space because there is no reason to remove it ever. Although removing (and installing) is so easy to do and takes all of 30 seconds (well designed unit) then stowed in the MB quality storage bag. As for the price it IS expensive as ALL MB cars, options, and accessory are but keep in mind $500 still represent less than 1% of the total cost of the car. Someone else could use the same "Save yourself" money argument that the heating package is not worth $950 when you can buy the wind blocker for 1/2 the price.
If you don't want wind, buy a CLK, or eat more slowly........ It's an open-top car for G*&s s$£E.......I sold my R170 with the wind blocker still in the plaggy bag, and I'm sure I'll do the same with this one.

P.S. weather in UK today, finally in double figures (but did 200 miles on the bike, not in the car[:0])

·
Registered
350 SLK
1,528 Posts
dsballdo - 3/19/2005 6:30 AM

And the added bonus of relections in the rear view mirror at night. wow, sign me up! If you don't want the wind , keep the top and windows up. Maybe the Porsche folks are right. We're just a bunch of girly men [;)]
Now don't go stealing my Governor's quotes! What would we do without Ahnold?? Never has politics been so much fun..oh, wait, maybe when Jerry Brown was in office[;)]

Anyway, I have the plexi wind screen basically for the reasons Julien stated - noise and retaining heat. However, when the weather is really nice (meaning sunny and very warm - which there has been only 1 day since I got it) then I do take the windscreen off. Nice storage bag and takes up hardly any trunk space although I tend to keep mine behind the seat.

I have never been bothered by the slight reflection in the windscreen at night. It is hardly noticeable.

·
Registered
06 SLK 55 Firemist
1,580 Posts
Woolly - 3/19/2005 2:54 PM
If you don't want wind, buy a CLK, or eat more slowly........ It's an open-top car for G*&s s$£E...
Did you actualy read my post? If not read it and you will see I did not say anything about wind. As a matter of fact other than incorrectly calling the Wind Screen a Wind Blocker (twice) I did not use the word wind at all. Why are you assuming that I even like the style of a CLK? BTW how does a CLK equate to no wind since it can also be "an open-top car for G*&s s$£E"? With the top and windows down you would still have wind.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts