Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
350 SLK
1,528 Posts
Only with the windows up. I can't tell it does anything with the windows down.

A little off topic but I have always owned a convertible and I feel the wind more in this car with the top and all the windows down than in my previous convertibles (except maybe for my MG-B but that so long ago I can't remember)[;)]I actually feel buffeted about by the wind. Am I the only one who notices this and does any one know why this might be?

·
Registered
SLK 350
2,327 Posts
This is my first roadster and I was surprised by the amount of wind from the rear. Evidently the aerodynamics are such that the wind curls over the cockpit and returns. I haven't bought the M/B windblocker as I feel that its not worth the price of $630. I'm in the process of making my own. So far I've spent $8.25 for the plastic.

·
Registered
2005 SLK350 2011 GLK3504X 2006 ML350(selling when GLK arrives)
1,940 Posts
I am actually surprised at how little wind...go figure...[:eek:)]

·
Registered
SLK200 Auto (171)
186 Posts
I bought the windblocker - i think it's expensive, but worth having. It doesn't block rear view, but does cut buffeting down significantly. Yes £279 is a lot for a bit of plastic, but I know when I sell my slk, i'll get an easy £150 for it on ebay, so it takes the sting out of it. Being a genuine merc product, it will sell easily and of top dollar.

·
Registered
SLK350 (apr 15)
673 Posts
I had windblockers on my Z3 and Z4, and they made a big difference, so I have been supposing that the MB one does as well.

The supplied screen is so ugly that when I got home I burned mine in protest, video at 11.

The plexiglass one is quite lovely, and I'm not skilled enough to build one myself.

They installed it before I picked the car up, and I haven't tried the car without it, but I notice this:

Top down, windows up, wind is no problem, far less than my Z4 was even with blocker.

Top down, windows down ... more wind, but so far it hasn't really bothered me.

Top UP, windows down, lots of wind. I actually wonder if the blocker is creating more in-cockpit wind by blocking off the ability of wind to go back by the rear window.

I'll experiment with the blocker down as time permits and will report anything that I notice.

For sure, I like the look of the thing, and from the $50,000 perspective, $700 isn't all that much.

·
Registered
SLK 55 AMG
3,560 Posts
I don't have the wind blocker (and didn't have one in my R170), but there's less wind in this one, then there was in the old one with the top down.

It's an improvement, but some other cars do produce less cabin wind. It all depends on the shape of the car, eh =\

·
Registered
S280 SLK350 A200
132 Posts
I bought my SLK 350 in Sept and have bought a rear screen just a few weeks ago. I must say that I am disappointed with how little difference it seems to make (with roof down and windows up). My wife has long flowing wavey hair and it does seem less disrupted with the rear screen in place but it does little for my (nearly) bald head.
Rusper

·
Registered
SLK350 6MT
294 Posts
At the outset, I thought I would get the wind-blocker. However, I find that the wind is only an issue at speeds >60 mph with the windows down. With the windows up, no problem in my view. I sure would like to try one before I plunk down that many bananas for plastic.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts