Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
SLK 350 Diamond blue
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apologies if this has been posted and discussed before.

Would someone like to call the Park Place to see if the winblocker is a genuine article.

http://mb.parkplacestores.com/mewiscplgls.html

Anyone had experience with using them?

·
Registered
2005 SLK350 2011 GLK3504X 2006 ML350(selling when GLK arrives)
1,940 Posts
That's 10% off the old $449 price...just what I paid at my dealer in early March...good luck Mel...hope its available...[;)]

·
Registered
SLK 55 AMG
237 Posts
Damn!! I just got one thr MB... $600 [:(!] The shift knobs look great. I want one

Thanks for posting the link!

·
Registered
SLK350
475 Posts
When I purchased mine from my dealer for $580.00, I had just checked Park Place's web site and they were selling it for $653.00. Oh well, at least I have it.

Roberta[:)]

·
Registered
slk 55
366 Posts
I spoke to Don in the Parts Department at Park Place. They are an MB dealer in Dallas. He told me that the windblocker they are selling for $403 is not the genuine MB accessory, but it is made by the same supplier that makes the genuine item for MB, and that it is identical except somewhere on the genuine one is an MB logo that the $403 version does not have. I ordered one...when I receive it and install it, I'll post the results. They charge $7.50 to ship it via UPS ground.

·
Registered
slk 350
116 Posts
shark22: Please let us know when you get it. I'll gladly sacrifice the MB logo for ~ $200 if it's the real deal. Heck, the car already has a bunch of MB logos...

·
Registered
slk 55
366 Posts
AshleyF and Duo-Art, I'm 98% certain Park Place changed the photo since I ordered it yesterday morning, am I correct? As I recall, the photo they had been showing was the same photo used in the MB SLK brochure. And as I mentioned above, I spoke to Don at Park Place before I ordered it and he told me that it was IDENTICAL to the genuine item, but no MB logo. I'm wondering if I've been ripped off. Did they change the photo?

·
Registered
SLK 350
2,327 Posts
When I talked to Don, he assured me that the one they were selling was identical to the genuine M/B one.If the one they send is the cheaper version, it goes back or I'll stop payment.

·
Registered
SLK 350
2,327 Posts
I talked with Don this morning and he is going to physically check stock to see which version they are selling. He will call me back and I'll post the information.

·
Registered
2005 350SLK
490 Posts
If you guys only knew how much it really costs to produce this item, you will go MAD [:D], it is probably in the region of USD 30 MAX [:(!] They just figure that if you are an SLK or a Boxter owner, then you have $$$$ to burn! AND THEY WANT A PIECE OF THAT.

·
Registered
SLK 350
2,327 Posts
The piece of 1/4" thick plastic that I bought in anticipation of making my own, cost me $8.00 I may continue with the project.

·
Registered
'06 SLK55
831 Posts
FYI,

I, like most others, was pretty upset when MB raised the price of the windscreen by $300+. I finally remembered that I had a friend that worked for a dealership and he had contacts to get me the genuine one for a reduced price. I payed $450 plus tax. The dealership said their new cost is $425 and they only charged me $25 extra. On the invoice for the part, it's list price is $783! I am glad I got the piece. However, just like the aftermarket units, it is only a piece of plexiglass and some plastic. I found it difficult to justify. That feeling will wear off. It functions slightly better than the windsock, but it looks a lot better and still lets you see out the rear view mirror. Overall, I am still satisfied.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Hi all,

I ordered one right away once I saw the new price and the original picture. I talked to Don today and when they got the new deflector in it was like the one on 4 my mercedes which sells for $279. I don't get it. They can't seem to bend you over enough. Don told me to refuse delivery and he will give a full refund. I would hope so. He was told it was the same as the MB one when he ordered it. $400 saved I guess.
Someone could have the MB one knock off in China in about two weeks and it would be less $100. Know you have to wonder where MB has them made and is charging $700. Probably in Germany where its cost $600 to make it. They need the 6 weeks vacation andd 32 hour work week and someone has to pay for it.

·
Registered
SLK 350
2,327 Posts
I also talked with Don and he said the same thing, that he was told that the wind blockers that they ordered were identical to the M/B ones but when they arrived, the weren't. I will be sending mine back also. If I come up with a good "do it yourself" design, I'll gladly share the info. Determining a pattern and cutting the plexiglass is the easy part. I want to make the installation very professional so duct taping it to the roll bars is definitely out.

·
Registered
slk 55
366 Posts
I spoke to Don a few minutes ago, and he told me the same story. Unfortunately mine was already shipped, too, and I have no way to refuse it as it was shipped to my office. But he will issue a full refund when I return it to him. Bummer, thought we had found a bargain.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts