Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

This is going to sound like a stupid question. Every morning when I start the car up (or each evening after sitting all day), I get a message in the dash (where the radio station is) - "please wait". It lasts for maybe 2-5 seconds and then goes out. If I drive down the road, turn the car off, get a coffee, re-start the car - I don't get the message.

Should I be taking notice of this message and wait until the message goes out before I start the car?

I don't remember seeing anything in the manual about it.

Thanks,
Jeff

·
Registered
3 Posts
i also have this problem, it says "wait", but my doesn't go away and just stays there, its bin like this for about a week and a half now, and it doesn't have anything in the manual about this

Does anyone now how to fix this problem?

·
Registered
27 Posts
I see the same message in mine. Perhaps it's only on the turbo engines - allows a few seconds for the engine to pressurize oil into the turbo before a cold start? In the same light, should let the car idle a bit prior to turning off the engine after a hard run.

Anyone know the max boost the turbo runs at?

·
Registered
798 Posts
I haven't encounter this "wait" message yet. Maybe it only appear in the turbo.

I have read that a turbo engine needs to be idle for a while before shutting the engine. It has something to do with cooling off the turbo engine properly if I remember correctly. As for the reason why I have no idea.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Hi all,

i have also this message on my B150 but never gave attention to it... maybe its some kind of checks of ESP or ABS and other systems in addition of the warning lamps on dashboard...

Cheers

·
Registered
27 Posts
I take back what I said about it possibly being turbo related. I paid attention this morning and there's one more detent in the key slot before the fuel pump and other whirring sounds start up. The warning message comes up prior to turning the key to this position.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
I noticed the wait screen when starting up and thought it was the radio. The radio is software controlled and has to boot up slightly.

The other thing it might be is the ABS brakes building up pressure. My SAAB has a ABS pressure warning light that takes up to 30 seconds to go out when the car has sat for a few days, but goes out immediately when the car is driven within a few hours of shut down.

The computer also checks several things upon start up so I would not worry unless it did not go out.

Bill

·
Registered
19 Posts
I see that message come up as well. (2007 B200 non -Turbo). I think it may be that the last menu on the display was for the radio. Try changing to a different menu and leave the car. Then see if the message reappears...

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've had that message appear in my B200 Turbo since the first day I bought it... I've asked at the dealer and they said it was nothing... Unfortunately the car won't often start on the first attempt however it always does on the second attempt. I park my car inside in a heated underground garage day and night and it has never been parked outside for more than a couple of hours... Finally in October 2007 the dealership tested the car again... along with replacing the brakes for the 2nd time... with only 9,000 km on it at the time... and said there was an issue and the starter/ignition was being ordered from Germany... Here it is, almost Febuary of 2008 and I'm still waiting for the part to arrive and be installed. By the way, I've also had the brakes replaced for a third time last week, the tail gate is funky and the parts are also on order... the headlights works sometimes but noth others and they can't figure out why... did you know that B200's also don't have block heaters... that despite being in Canada!!! Word for the wise... by another car and another make than Mercedes... once upon a time they used to stand behind their product... now I'd like to stand behind it and push it off a very high cliff...

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
Egad, how many times do we need to read the same rant!

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I think this message relates to the radio. Normally, this is the screen I have displayed. However, yesterday, I changed to the compass, and no message! Still slightly odd that the radio needs time to turn on.

Thanks all - mystery solved - sort of.

·
Registered
7,654 Posts
I think this message relates to the radio. Normally, this is the screen I have displayed. However, yesterday, I changed to the compass, and no message! Still slightly odd that the radio needs time to turn on.

Thanks all - mystery solved - sort of.
Jeff!
You have a compass. Lucky you!
My manual says I have a compass also as standard equipment without the Command option.
My sales rep said " Yes it's in there somewhere, just search for it." A few months later they offered to change my manual to properly reflect what's actually in the car. " No compass"
You win some and you lose some!!
Cheers, Derek

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Perhaps they've stuck and old valve radio in :rolleyes: remember those days !! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
As far as I'm aware, the compass only appeared on the 2007 turbos with premium package. Not sure what the deal for 2008 is. I don't think any 2006 (Canada) have compass

1 - 20 of 26 Posts