Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Mercedes Benz CLK 500
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've Searched and searched and have come up short.

My '04 CLK 500 has come along way since purchasing it over a year ago. That's for another thread.

I continue to sporadically receive this message on my cluster (see picture). Sometimes when it's hot, cold, just restarted, been off days. Just driving, turning, sitting etc. Completely random. At first I thought it had to do with turning as straightening the wheel it would go out and come back again when turning. Restarts made no change, clearing all code etc. Unhooking batter also no change.

I have a Carsoft MB II and a copy of WIS. I have found nothing that helps.

I have replaced both steering wheel electric adjustment motors, relubed all linkage and checked all connections. Nothing else is wrong or giving a warning.

I replaced both seat ECMs because of seat adjustment issues. I thought that would fix the issue as the controls for the steering wheel adjust run through the driver seat ECM. No change.

Here's what I know. Both adjustment motors work as designed. All seats work properly and all easy entry setting also work. When I scan with the tool I can see commands all being received and sent properly for adjustment of steering wheel.

I suspected a bad clock spring. I relearned the steering angle through the scanner and that had no affect.

It's very random. Very annoying because it can't be cleared, it has to just go away.

In case anyone asks, obviously it's electric adjustment as I know the manual adjustment can cause this issue.

HELP!

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
CURRENT: 2011 SL550 FORMER: C300, ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
20,204 Posts
Hi Bryan, welcome to the forum! Please update your forum profile with your car model and year so it appears on all your posts below your name and avatar. That will be very helpful when people are trying to assist you.

This is a strange error. It should only occur if you have a manually adjusted steering, not the power adjustment as in the CLK. On the manual adjustment system, there is a limit switch attached to the release handle. It connects to the steering column module on pins 14 and 7. I am not sure if it's normally open or normally closed. If you take a look at the steering column control module wiring harness, see if anything connects at pins 14 and 7. If not, then I'd think the switch is normally open. If there is wiring, see where it goes. If the switch is normally closed, then there may be a loop or dongle attached to keep it set.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Bryan, welcome to the forum! Please update your forum profile with your car model and year so it appears on all your posts below your name and avatar. That will be very helpful when people are trying to assist you.

This is a strange error. It should only occur if you have a manually adjusted steering, not the power adjustment as in the CLK. On the manual adjustment system, there is a limit switch attached to the release handle. It connects to the steering column module on pins 14 and 7. I am not sure if it's normally open or normally closed. If you take a look at the steering column control module wiring harness, see if anything connects at pins 14 and 7. If not, then I'd think the switch is normally open. If there is wiring, see where it goes. If the switch is normally closed, then there may be a loop or dongle attached to keep it set.
Thanks for the suggestion, done and done.

Can you think of any reason why or how this message could appear other then some error? Something maybe swapped before I purchased it? I don't think it's the seat ECMs as it did it before and after replacement.

I'm going to take a look at those pins and follow as you suggest.

·
Outstanding Contributor , SDS Guru
1998 MB E300TD, 1997 MB E36 AMG, 2001 MB E55 AMG
5,109 Posts
Maybe the EIS or the cluster or the DCM has been replaced from a car that had manual steering column, and it wasn't coded for electric.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Maybe the EIS or the cluster or the DCM has been replaced from a car that had manual steering column, and it wasn't coded for electric.
That's what I was thinking but without knowing previous history I guess I'd need a MB STAR to really dig in and see. But nothing seems off other then this warning. I'm gonna check the pins Rudeney mentioned before.

Any other ideas are greatly appreciate. I've been chasing this since the moment I got the car. Most of the time it's easy to ignore but driving it at night the Red warning and repeat warning sound are driving me nuts.

·
20,204 Posts
I did go through SDS in demo mode to see if there was any coding for this and I found nothing. I checked the steering column module, instrument cluster, seat controller and EIS. I found nothing related to steering column adjustment in them, but I will say that demo mode is not always accurate - sometimes there are options that appear only when connected to a the vehicle. That is why I wondered if this is just a matter of the pins on the SCM being permanently shorted or open as needed when the manual lever is not installed.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I did go through SDS in demo mode to see if there was any coding for this and I found nothing. I checked the steering column module, instrument cluster, seat controller and EIS. I found nothing related to steering column adjustment in them, but I will say that demo mode is not always accurate - sometimes there are options that appear only when connected to a the vehicle. That is why I wondered if this is just a matter of the pins on the SCM being permanently shorted or open as needed when the manual lever is not installed.
Sooooo after even more looking and digging I have found what I believe is something I've yet to look at.

Because it's not obvious but in the picture this is the STEERING COLUMN ADJUSTMENT LOCK INDICATOR SWITCH for US MODELS. The wires from the pins 14,7 of the SCM go here. I'm pretty sure our cars do have this switch and I vaugly remember unplugging it when I was replacing the radio and HVAC actuator arms.

It very easily could be loose either here at the connector or in the SCM. Both are easily accessible so Im going to check the intergrity of the wires.

I hope something is obvious when I check. Makes sense too cause I would have never checked here.

·
20,204 Posts
Hmm, your are thinking that it goes through the shift module so that the steering wheel adjustment lock would only throw an error if not in park? That could be. Let us know if that fixes it!

·
5,109 Posts
Yuuup, that'll do it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hmm, your are thinking that it goes through the shift module so that the steering wheel adjustment lock would only throw an error if not in park? That could be. Let us know if that fixes it!
Unfortunately on my model there is no plug in the location shown in the diagram. I looked around to be sure that maybe someone didn't swap it with a unit from a different MB that physically could fit but no extra plug close by.

I removed the steering wheel and took a look at the SCM plug. The SCM has pins in 7 and 14 but the plug and harness do not have any wires pinned in that plug. I wiggled and pulled and cleaned the plug and no different. I then jumped pins 14 and 7 to see if that made a difference. Although the message stayed, it would go away after removing the jumper then come back. I'm coming to the conclusion that the Clock Spring/SCM unit need replacing.

Another indication that maybe there IS something going wrong in that area is after carefully reassembling everything i got 6 new SRS codes...B1058, B1055,B106D,B106C,B1025,B1027. I rechecked all plugs and connections.

Ever here the saying "leave well enough alone". Ugh. Now i have this to figure out.

Quick history on the steering column in this car. When i got it the steering wheel was badly worn, leather falling off etc. Also the turn signal assembly wouldn't stay in the clicked position for left turns. And the periodic lock steering warning. I replaced the steering wheel, turn signal stalk assembly and have replaced the adjustment motors. Never had a problem with SRS before except a loose passenger seat sensor plug and that was easily remedied with a wiggle and some zip ties.

·
5,109 Posts
Did you clear codes? Usually the SRS pops code if you had the key in the ignition the whole time when unplugging stuff.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Did you clear codes? Usually the SRS pops code if you had the key in the ignition the whole time when unplugging stuff.
I had the battery undone except for the testing using the jumper cable and even then i had everything plugged in including the "scares me to death be careful face towards enemy" drivers airbag. I tried clearing and it wont clear because of fault still present. All 6 faults though so it must have been a connector i nudged or something. Once im home today ill be back at and ill post what i find.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
After checking and pinning out the wires from all the way from the airbag connector to the Restraint System Control Unit along with checking the seat connectors this is what I got.

Now the "Lock Steering Wheel Adjustment" warning is steady on. So something changed there but most likely the problem simply finally failed in the SCM.

I checked everything I touched and all i can think that caused the Airbag codes and warning was turning the ignition on and off and the module lost its coding. Don't know if that's a thing but I didn't touch the components that say are causing issues. In the picture you'll see a weird message about the Driver Airbag Squib 1 having an unknown status. Along with the Module showing undervoltage yet I'm solid 13.8v while running and no other system issues.

I tried clearing it with the iCarsoft MB 2 and it won't clear, says unsuccessful. I have an Autel scanner I've sure before that has cleared it before with the seat sensor code in the past and it wouldnt clear it either. All codes are stored but not current. I unplugged the pass airbag light in center of dash to see if it threw a new code and it would, showing stored and current. So something is now wonky with the Retraint Module.

Any suggestions?

·
5,109 Posts
Could be a problem with the SCM, the clockspring info for the airbag is passed through SCM.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Could be a problem with the SCM, the clockspring info for the airbag is passed through SCM.
Yes but it looks like on the diagrams and physically that the clock spring pins passes physically through the SCM and into the same connector as the SCM, as if there connected but the Clock spring pins pass through the SCM using very long, like 2.5inch long, pins.

Again though you're prob right the SCM is definitely an issue...maybe not the SRS issue though.

May just break down and get DAS STAR to do this stuff right.

·
5,109 Posts
Here's the thing though, carsoft shows that the passenger side airbag has a short circuit. How is that possible, since the passenger airbag does not go through the SCM?

Could be the airbag module itself, it's located front of the shifter, under the radio and is a easy target for water/coffee/soda spill when you brake real hard.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I think the SCM is the cause of my initial issues with the warning for locking the steering wheel.

It's very likely that the AIRBAG Module did fail coincidentally. I unplugged the connector and replugged it in and it's getting cold out plus it's gooey around it. Could have just be it's time.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Update. After a visit to my local salvage yard I was able to pick up a SCM and Airbag Module from a similar year CLK but not a 500. Part numbers matched up. Bout 50 bucks for the two.

Like I said, after looking in to the Lock Steering Message it wouldn't go away and then the SRS light with 5 codes, 7 after unhooking the center controls popped. I stared with replacing the SCM. Well, boom warning out and all is well in the column. No more message about Locking The Steering Column.

Now onto the SRS issue. I'm almost positive I did something while trying diagnose the SCM issue that caused the SRS system to go wacky. Maybe cycling the key, stuff unplugged, bad SCM causing issues etc. I checked all wiring, legitimately checking continuity from the SCM pins to the Airbag Module, under seat connecting back to the module etc. All were perfect like before. This confirmed nothing changed except something happened in the original Airbag Module.

I swapped over the the replacement Airbag Module and scanned the system. Now, only 2 codes both relating to the Airbag Module not being coded for the EIS and Vehicle info.

All other wiring related codes are not present.

Obviously can't clear those CURRENT codes.

I don't have a Xentry system as of yet to reprogram the Module. But if anyone has a link to where it start when looking into purchasing one and then the process of reprogramming the Module that would be some good reading before making the purchase.

Anyway, hope this helps.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts