Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking through forum and have found 2 subjects relating I think but not sure which I have....air blend motor/flap or holding fixture in center vent (is this the sleeve issue?). I'm a little confused. I have an 01 ml430.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
If it is not giving any heat, it must the blend air motor/control arm, not the center duct actuator. Center air duct actuator controls the air to this duct only.

·
Banned
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I sorry, I should have been clearer. I have heat, too much so. Problem first started with temp knob and a/c. I would get clicking and would have to move knob back off a/c gradually till clicking would stop. It's now progressed to where after I turned it to use the heat, it clicks continuously with constant heat and can't get clicking to stop, also knob feels as though it has very little resistance when turning from heat to a/c and back.

·
Banned
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks so much for your advice. Would this blend door mechanism cause the ticking and do I have to remove the air bag to determine and/or fix this? Is this the same situation where one of the members simply moved a cog with a broken tooth slightly to fix the situation. Do you know the replacement part number and/or approx price for part?

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
If the blend door actuator motor internal gears or levers are broken, it can cause ticking noise. The levers might be part of the problem too. Diagnose your problem first.

You do not need to mess with the airbag unit for diagnosis or the replacement.

you said the 2001 has the ticking issue originally. But your profile also has 2002 ML500. FYI, center air duct motor ticking problem was seen with 2002+ years after chassis number A289560.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
emmie - welcome to air blend motor heaven.

Just had the same problem, repair part was a $147 air blend motor part off mail order.

You may want to read this thread: http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w163-m-class/1552908-only-hot-air-vents-no-cool.html

There is a video in the stickies on probably a faster repair. However, using that method, who knows if the passenger air bag door will become a fatal missile in an accident?

Broken part looked like this and was a 3 hr repair because it is buried beneath the dashboard:

Attachments

·
Banned
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Better late than never

Had put this off for awhile because it was winter for one, and because the first time I took out the glove compartment to take a look for some reason I just wasn't seeing the air blend motor. So, today (getting hotter here in Vegas), I decided to take another look. To others...after you remove the glove box only which is just a few...4...I believe screws and disconnect the glove box light, just slide it out. If you reach in on the left top side and pull down the cloth backing just enough to see inside you will see a white plastic lever mechanism. Now for the really good part.....I now have ice cold air and didn't spend one penny, mess with an air bag, take off any part of the dash, radio etc., I simply turned the climate dial...which did absolutely nothing.....except!....allow me to manually move the white plastic lever to the opposite position thus switching me from hot air to ice cold air. I will probably replace the air blend motor at some future time but for the summer I have cold air and if need I can take the glove box out at winter and switch to hot air...and although I haven't tried it yet there is a small possibility that I may be able to remove the air blend motor without doing anything more than I've already done (small hands...and don't you believe the rest of that myth). Now on to my new issue which I believe to be the torsion bar bushing clicking issue.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts