Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...of any unusual happenings, I'm off to Matala, Crete, tomorrow, not looking forward to the 24 hr+ door to door travel time but am looking forward to revisiiting a strange corner of the earth full of history, too bad I'll be back before the beach festival

MATALA BEACH FESTIVAL 2019

·
Registered
9,056 Posts
How do you make a Maltese cross?

Poke him in the eye...

I'll get my coat...

·
CH4S Admin , Outstanding Contributor
39,244 Posts
Attention Coffee drinkers, don't knock Malta

Maltese Knights (of the crusading, not cruising kind) watched their Ottoman - Turkish prisoners brew up strange beans for a hot drink.
The Knights finally tried it, and coffee began to make its way around the rest of the World. Hint: The Knights of Malta weren't really Maltese
Coffees second route began outside the city walls of Vienna, when the Turkish invaders had the city surrounded, trying to starve off the population into surrender.
According to lore, as a sign of resistance, Viennese bakers made pastries in the shape of the crescent shown on the Turkish flag, and the Croissant was born.
When the Turks withdrew, coffee beans dropped from split sacks were left behind and experimented with.

If I remember correctly, the Worlds known oldest coffee house was established in Damascus in the 15th Century.
Coffee enthusiast finding themselves in Paris, should visit the oldest still operating since 1686 Café Le Procope.

Attachments

·
Registered
19,471 Posts
Don't forget to visit the neolithic caves.

·
Registered
9,056 Posts
Malta is a great place full of great people.

Took a pounding from the Luftwaffe during WW2 for which George VI awarded the George (no relation, oops, oh wait) Cross symbolically to the entire island.

I only ever set foot on the island once, briefly, transferring from the school cruise ship SS Uganda to the buses waiting to take us home to Blighty. We were meant to spend 24 hours there but rough weather meant we were delayed getting into Valetta to dock.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
5 of us went to a taverna, shared starters [tzaziki, greek salad, saganaki], each had a main, 3 carafes of the house red, and a bunch of raki

bill came to 66 euros

1 - 20 of 22 Posts