Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to all,
I am now looking at two cars in my quest to purchase a 300sd. The first is the subject of the post "81 300sd value" in this forum. The car is an 81 300sd 170,000 miles, dealer tranny at 100,000, no sunroof, Great body, 2 small rips in interior, has a/c problems (origin unknown as of today), and both rear windows do not work.
The owner is trying to rundown the source of the leaky a/c and if it is minor, will repair, otherwise it is my problem.
Approx. Price $2200.

The second car is an 82 300sd 110,000 miles, Beautiful paint and body, Arizona Car, perfect interior, a/c converted to 134 6 years ago, ball joints replaced. Cruise does not work, one power door lock is faulty, and supposedly that is it. No other mechanical problems. But this auto has not had any major drivetrain work performed on it. The owner said he puts the car in the shop every spring and on average it will cost him about $500 on maintenance. He has put about 1200 miles a year on the car in his 5 years of ownership. The car could probably be had for around $4000, but he is asking almost half again that figure.
Am I correct believing that tranny rebuilds occur pretty regular on these vehicles after the 100,00 mark? It seems that way as I look at the auto market out there.
You really do not need to tell me how overpriced the vehicles are, I already know. So are all the other nice ones I have looked at.
So, do I buy the cheaper vehicle with a rebuilt tranny, possible ac problems, or the one with no drivetrain work so far, and no current issues. Or do I just be totally indecisive and buy no car at all?...phal

·
Registered
1985 500SEL
835 Posts
Tranny is one problem to loook @..

there are many other ones line front end work, shocks, A/C,

I would personaly take the one with new tranny... and hopefully the A/C wont cost u much...but A/C work could also cost you more than a rebuilt tranny (about $1500)

but I could be wrong

I am not a diesel expert, but from what I read the 300SD are robust cars . also you should drive both cars and feel them on the road.. and even better take them to a certified mechanic to have an over look

good luck

·
Mercedes
9,038 Posts
That second car sounds nice.. I would look closer into it. What I would do is bargain with the seller.. and use what ever you saved from bargaining for a future tranny rebuild if you're worried. The 300SD is a simple and easy to work on vehicle and is known by many for being durable and reliable.

·
Registered
1984 280SEL AMG
701 Posts
I agree with Snibble, look more into the second one. Reason the person hasent had any major mechanacle problems wit it is because he take it to the shop for reguler servics. The one with the new trans could devlup engine problems later on. I would take the car with better P.M.C.S.
Preventitive
Maintanance
Checks
Services

Can't go wrong with a person that lets the pros do the services. And at 1K milage per year with reguler services..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts