Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2003 Mercedes Clk 320.. My smart key is not unlocking/locking the doors. But works when I put it in the ignition.

The day before I had my whole car tinted w/ Infrared Tint. So I thought it was that so I removed the film. but still the same problem so it cant be the film.

I have changed batteries on both remotes w/ mercedes certified batteries.
Both Smart keys including my spare does not work. So its probably not the key because both of them stopped working at the same time.

Can someone please give me some advice to what I can do???
Im trying to avoid paying big bucks bringing it into the dealer.

Thanks!!!!

·
Premium Member
2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
17,193 Posts
The only comments I can make with confidence is that you have eliminated the most obvious possibility that the key batteries are bad. The other part of the picture is your key is a transmitter and the car has a receiver. IMO, this is where your problem resides.

·
Registered
2006 CLK 350
1,133 Posts
If you go now to the W211 Forum, there is a thread topic about Keyless GO about 13 or so topics down from the top.

Near the end of the thread is a link to a Keyless GO manual for the W211 which is pretty close to the W209.

If you read through the 41 pages, it will tell you that the CAR WILL TRANSMIT by RF (not IR) to the Keyless Go remotes from the doors, interior, and rear trunk antennas. However, the Keyless GO remote WILL TRANSMIT BACK to the car and be received by ONLY ONE antenna will is located in the rear window!

That tells me if the Keyless GO remote will not open any of the doors, trunk, or start the engine, then the rear window antenna is at fault. So did they apply any tint film on the rear window? If so, they probably cut the antenna wire when they cut the tint film to fit the frame. So look carefully around the top/bottom right side (on W211, maybe same for W209) of the rear window for the antenna wires.

That's my theory... anyone else want to take a guess???? :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
17,193 Posts
You own practically the same car so your guess is probably better than mine. The only thing is that jma82 never mentioned having the Keyless Go option. Also he said that his key would start the engine, but would not lock/unlock the doors. I think you are correct in that it is the RF (radio frequency) system that is at fault because, if I understand it correctly, it is the IR (infrared) that enables the ignition.

·
Registered
2006 CLK 350
1,133 Posts
:DOh.. minor point but you're right! :surrender:

I wonder if the Smartkey antenna is also at the rear window, same as the Keyless GO???

I know both have the 315 MHz frequency, so I would suspect it be the same antenna on the rear window.

Say, wouldn't the Tint Man have cut the rear window heater wires too? So it the rear window defroster does not work, then the wires are cut for sure!

Hey! If you get the problem fixed.. Please let us know what was wrong!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey Guys thanks for the response. I have changed the battery already (bought from the benz dealer) So it cant be that.
Also I do not have keyless go option on my car.
I have removed the tint on my back glass so it cant be the tint.
So by reading this thread infrared does not unlock/lock the doors its radio freq?
Does anyone have any other ideas?
I was also thinking the tinter might have cut or unplugged something so I looked under the top backglass from the backseat and everything looked fine.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Also..I got the key working 1 out of a hundred times when I stand 2 feet away from the door sensor.
Does anyone know where the IR sensor and the Radio Frequency Sensors are located?
One dealer told be the IR Sensor is in the back glass and one dealer told me its behind the rearview mirror.

·
Registered
2006 CLK 350
1,133 Posts
I believe in the non keyless GO cars, the car's Radio Frequency receiver's antenna is located behind the front windshield's mirror and open/close ONLY the DOORS. But the Infra Red receiver is located only on the driver's side door handle (small dark red square window) and operates ONLY on the WINDSOWS/SUNROOF; and the limited to 5-10 feet with the key nose pointed directly at the IR window on the driver's side door handle (less range in bright sun light days).

The reason for the separate system is that Mercedes did not the owner to inadvertently open the window/sunroof as a safety/security factor; where as BMW and Lexus don't care as their system is RF and you can open/close windows/sunroof from 50 feet away from any angle.

Try going to the front of the car and aim the remote key nose towards the back of the mirror and see if it works better. The antenna in the remote key is located also in the nose of the key, it should be non-directional, but sometimes it works better when the nose is pointed at the mirror.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I pointed it to the fron behind the rearview mirror and it still doesnt work....
i looked behind the backglass to see if anything was cut or disconnected during the install of the tint. but everything looks fiine..
I checked all the fuses.
cleaned the sensor behind the rearview mirrow.
does anyone else have any suggestionS?

·
Registered
2006 CLK 350
1,133 Posts
:confused: Out of curiosity, does your rear window electric defroster work???

Does anyone who for sure where the antenna for the remote smartkey is located on the 2003 E320???

I believe it used to be located behind the rear view mirror in older cars, but maybe got moved to the rear window at the introduction of Keyless GO as they use the same 315 Mhz frequency.

Can anyone post the Smartkey technical manual here so we can figure this out?

Thanks... :surrender:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Help!!

I just had my windows tinted as well. I had to remove all the previous tints and retint the entire car. I also installed new felts so my new tint will not get scratched/streaks. I also own a W211 E320 and my Remote Key cannot open/lock my doors nor can it open trunk. Its like it is non responsive at all. I tried to resync it but nothing seems to work!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Help!!!

Also it does not have the keyless go feature and tried most the steps provided previously. Only thing i havnt tried is checking the fuses. (Dont know where to locate). The interior central locks works but just the remote refuses to work.

·
Registered
04' CLK 320 , 01' GS 300 Plat. & 05-CLK500
198 Posts
damn ya have that problem too...I have to point the key to the handle (driver side) to unlock/lock the car after I tint it...have no idea what they did to my car. The only reason that can explained is they cut the antenna wire just like a previous post said that :mad: Ok lets just said the guy really cut those antena wire how do I fix that ? Do I need to replace the whole antenna ? damn this is annoying .

Andy

·
Registered
200clk cabrio 2009
6 Posts
hi I have the same problem and can only lock/unlock my car using infar red by pointing key at drivers door small red square. I was told by a dealer that i had a front screen with no antenna lots of money to resolve taking out screen /dash board. I hope the receiver is in the mirror that would be a lot less. My rear heated window works fine. my car is a clk200 2003 which I bought second hand . can any one help?

·
Registered
200clk cabrio 2009
6 Posts
Remote locking does not work there are a lot of us who are having trouble with keys that only work with ir and not rf. I suspect that salons and coupes have a different system to cabrios Reading various posts it would seem that there is a receiver under the dash in the clk cabrio models which if it has failed means the dash needs to come out also there is an Antenna/aerial I assume this is in the front windscreen? as if it was anywhere else it would fold into the boot with the hood down. Maybe it is the aerial in the windscreen pillars? there is a load of corresponance about keys not working and even a guy trying to start a class action. The only slight glimmer of hope seems to be a guy who removed and replace all the fuses and got his rf system working. Can anyone who has a manual help on the 200 clk cabrio
I would like to know 1) Where the antenna/aerial is located 2) Where the radio ampliefier is located 3) where the fuses for the rf system are located 4) is the Antenna/ aerial the same as the one used for the radio. The rf seems to fail if electrical work is undertaken by a dealer or tinting or the Mercedes eletrical gremlin. There must be a diagnostic path that can be taken to establish where the fault lies. I like the guy in Texas dont want to pay to have my dashboard removed at £120 an hour just so someone can change components instead of diagnoesing a fault logically. My limited experiance of merc main dealer charging means that I would rather tell them exactly what to do than to leave them to diagnose by replacement.

·
Registered
2012 GL 450 4Matic
1,206 Posts
Problems to avoid when tinting your car.

I just tinted my 2006 E 350 yesterday and I had a similar problem with my smart key not unlocking or locking my car afterwards. After reading the forums on here i first changed my batteries which really did nothing. I was able to open the doors by placing the remote near the drivers door handle just fine. I had no problems with the radio stations so I knew that the antenna wires were not cut. So more than likely the wires were wet from the tint and or the antenna amp got wet and needed to dry out. I checked fuse number 8 and it was not blown so there was no short anywhere. After I let the vehicle sit for a while it is finally working again. So the moral of the story is do not get metallic tint in any car that has keyless entry that uses a system like this because it will interfere with the signal. Also locate your wires for your antenna and educate your tinter to not tint around that area to avoid any problems. I hope this helps with further problems on this issue.:eek:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts