Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Mercedes "M32"
961 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, as you may know I have been trying to put the lift kit on my truck for the past 36 hours. I have stripped 3 bolts already and I have just about lost it. I need to know WHY my rear lower bolt that holds the shock assembly to the A arm is just spinning freely. I'm trying to loosen it to take the sock assembly out but it seems like it doesnt want to loosen. It just spins ...

Am I not doing something right ?? I'm using a 18MM socket to loosen the shock assembly from the A-arm ... PLEASE HELP before I burn this truck. [:(!]

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
CURRENT: 2011 SL550, 2011 C300 FORMER: ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
19,235 Posts
Maybe this will help:

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=1169706

- RODNEY

·
Registered
ML430/ SL500 SA
1,009 Posts
Awesome pics for a point pf reference.

Here are the parts in the "kit" we are talking about:

Just the plate and riser bolts.

Any ideas?

Attachments

·
Registered
ML430/ SL500 SA
1,009 Posts
The way the plates are counter-sinked it looks like the "riser bolts" fit in them.

What order does the whole mess go together?

Hmmm.....

I can't access mine to look.

·
Registered
Mercedes "M32"
961 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Benz4Dirt&Sky - 3/8/2005 6:13 PM

The way the plates are counter-sinked it looks like the "riser bolts" fit in them.

What order does the whole mess go together?

Hmmm.....

I can't access mine to look.
Ok man ... the good news is I found out how it works. To remove the lower bolt you have to have the truck on the ground !! The bad news is when I stripped the upper bolts I now have to order the whole spring and shock assembly. I ended up buying the whole shock assembly for both sides from www.mercedesshop.com

In the end this is costing a WHOLE lot more than I wanted it to. I guess it will be worth it in the end.

Oh and the way the kit works is you are supposed to use the riser bolts to hold the shock assembly and riser plate between the frame. To do this you have to drill a 14mm hole. Now I have to go find a drill and a 14mm drill bit.

This is WAAAAY much more than I wanted to bite off ... but whatever. You live and you learn !! I'm all bruised and cut up, but still in decent spirits. I need to rest now. It will be a couple days before my parts get in, so I will get to recoop some energy.

P.S- A local shop quoted me $500 to install this kit. I though they were crazy, but in hindsight I think I should have taken that route. LOL

·
Registered
99ML320 (retired) C230 530xi 911-C4
2,229 Posts
You are an amazing inspiration to us all. You are one of the most valuable new forum members on this board.

Don't give up!

[:)]

·
Registered
Mercedes "M32"
961 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
roadsession - 3/8/2005 8:36 PM

You are an amazing inspiration to us all. You are one of the most valuable new forum members on this board.

Don't give up!

[:)]
Thanks man, I really appreciate that ...

Believe me, I'm not one to give up. I really hate not finishing something I started. And I hate being defeated ... specially by my own truck, so there's no way I'm letting it kick my ass. LOL [^]

I'll keep you all updated on my progress. I'll try to snap a few pics while i'm in the process of taking the whole rear suspenion apart. I bet when I'm done with this I'll be able to throw a shock assembly on in under 30 mins.

·
Registered
Mercedes "M32"
961 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok guys, I got all my parts in and I went out and bought a drill, titanium bits and some other goodies for over $220 ... [xx(] I hope I use this stuff more than just this once. LOL

I'm off to finish this biotch once and for all !! WISH ME LUCK !!! [:D]

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
CURRENT: 2011 SL550, 2011 C300 FORMER: ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
19,235 Posts
Ok guys, I got all my parts in and I went out and bought a drill, titanium bits and some other goodies for over $220 ... [xx(] I hope I use this stuff more than just this once.
For me, half the fun in working on a project is having an excuse to buy some new tools!

- RODNEY

·
Registered
ML430/ SL500 SA
1,009 Posts
rudeney - 3/10/2005 12:30 PM

Ok guys, I got all my parts in and I went out and bought a drill, titanium bits and some other goodies for over $220 ... [xx(] I hope I use this stuff more than just this once.
For me, half the fun in working on a project is having an excuse to buy some new tools!

- RODNEY
Document the procedure with pics and in writing.

Then we order another kit.

Find someone with the plasma cutting tools that can fab them for us.

Then we sell them. WITH INSTRUCTIONS on eBay.

There are a LOT of MLs out there. I watched my 1998 BMW M3 go from being a $45k new car that few would modify to a $15 to $20k car that every 22 year old is willing to play with.

Once you have the lift and bigger tires you will see how it changes the character of you ML.

I think there is a market brewing out there for what Wolfgang pioneered along with Harold P.

I WANT PICS OF YOUR BIGGER TIRES!!!!

GO GET THEM!!!

[:D][:D][:D][:D]

1 - 10 of 10 Posts