Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would appreciate all thoughts regarding purchasing a 1990 350 Sdl. This vehicle has 109,000 miles. The owner of the vehicle told me that I could have it inspected wherever I desire. He explained that about 2 years ago it was around 90,000 miles he was having a problem going into reverse so they replaced the transmission and ever since it has been perfect. He has all receipts for the repair and for the services throughtout the vehicles life. I have read a few horror stories about the 350sdl but then I have also read some of these stories about all sorts of other cars. What are the major problems with this car and what should be done to elemenate getting a bad one? If the car is inspected by Mercedes and they indicate it is in good condition should I feel safe about a purchase? I really appreciate all thoughts.<br>
<br>
Thanks,<br>
<br>
Jim

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I would run away from this car as fast as possible.<br> <br> These all aluminum 3.5 liter diesels are the worst engines that MB ever produced. They have significant problems and have been the source of many lawsuits.<br> <br> In short, they have problems with high oil consumption, excessive cylinder bore wear, and even connecting rod failure, usually requiring complete engine overhaul.<br> <br> This car is the lemon of all lemons.<br> <br> Please don't tell us you bought this car. If you did, sell it. Sell it now, and thank me later.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here's another great link about the 350 SDL problems

http://www.mercedesshop.com/shopforum/showthread.php3?s=&threadid=16385&perpage=15&pagenumber=1

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Paul,<br> <br> Thanks for the information that you described. I do appreciate it. Does any company offer warranties on these old cars? <br> <br> Thanks,<br> <br> Jim

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Aftermarket warranties

Yes, I've seen on the internet several companies that off aftermarket warranties. I did a quick search on another forum, and copied the following post. If I find anymore warranty companies, I'll post them. <br> Quote:<br> 'This appears to be the best from 1 Source 5 years 60,000 miles for $4,500: <br> Diamond Coverage View Actual Agreement (pdf) View Actual Agreement (doc) <br> <br> Diamond is the most comprehensive plan available covering well over 4000 component parts. This coverage provides for the repair or replacement of most factory-installed mechanical and electrical operating parts. Virtually every component on your vehicle is protected. The only exclusions are periodic maintenance and those items listed in our agreement under “Parts and Services not Covered.� <br> <br> Whether you buy or lease your vehicle, our Diamond plan can provide a term that matches your driving and lifestyle needs. <br> <br> Full Coverage For: <br> <br> Engine <br> Transmission <br> Transfer Unit (4x4) <br> Front/Rear Drive Axles <br> Electrical System <br> Fuel Delivery System <br> Braking System (Including ABS) <br> Front/Rear Suspension <br> Steering System <br> Heating/Cooling Systems <br> Air Conditioning System <br> Power Window/Locks <br> Power Seats <br> Digital Instrument Cluster <br> Sunroof <br> Audio System <br> Convertible Top Motor <br> Safety Restraint Systems (Airbags) <br> GPS (Global Positioning System) <br> Seals & Gaskets (Stand-Alone) <br> Wear & Tear <br> <br> <br> THE VERY BEST PROTECTION FOR YOUR NEW OR PRE-OWNED VEHICLE <br> <br> *PARTS AND SERVICES NOT COVERED: <br> <br> The performance of normal maintenance services listed in Your Vehicle’s Owners Manual as supplied by the Manufacturer, scheduled replacement of parts and wear items, service adjustments, and parts and services such as, but not limited to: <br> <br> Engine Tune-Up <br> <br> Spark plugs, spark plug wires, distributor cap and rotor, glow plugs, filters, hoses, fan/accessory drive belts. <br> <br> Fuel/Emissions <br> <br> Injection system or carburetor adjustments, cleaning of fuel system, carburetor, complete exhaust and emission systems (including catalytic converter and smog pump). <br> <br> Standard Transmission <br> <br> Clutch plate/lining, pressure plate, flywheel, throwout bearing, pilot bushing. <br> <br> Charging System <br> <br> Battery, battery cables. <br> <br> Cooling System <br> <br> Coolant flush, additives, hoses. <br> <br> Brake System <br> <br> Brake linings/shoes, brake pads, rotors, drums, neoprene hoses/lines. <br> <br> Suspension <br> <br> Shock absorbers, suspension alignment, wheel balancing. <br> <br> Interior & Exterior <br> <br> Physical damage, alignment of bumper/body/trim parts, glass, lenses, bulbs, sealed beams, wiper blades, trim, moldings, bright metal, fasteners, paint, rust, upholstery, carpet, rubber or rubber-like items, convertible top/window, vinyl top, weather-strips, squeaks and rattles, interior/exterior ornamentation, body sheet metal, bumpers, body panels, structural framework, structural welds, water leaks, wind leaks/noise, wheels, rims, wheel covers, tires (except for ESA Tire / Road Hazard Benefit). <br> <br> Miscellaneous <br> <br> Oils, additives, coolant, refrigerant recharge or other fluids and filters, except in conjunction with the repair/replacement of a covered part. After-market parts or accessories not produced by the Manufacturer, such as, but not limited to custom wheels, CB radios, audio systems, cellular telephones, anti-theft systems, air conditioning systems, sunroofs, automatic speed control systems. <br> <br> In addition, Diamond customers enjoy all of our Convenience Benefits even while under their factory warranty. <br> <br> NOTE: 1SourceAutoWarranty provides complete contract terms and provisions that may have additional information not contained herein. The contract purchased is the total and complete agreement between 1SourceAutoWarranty and the Service Contract Holder. It replaces, supercedes, and is controlling as to any and all e-mail, telephone conversations, or other correspondence between 1SourceAutoWarranty and the Service Contract Holder.'<br> Unquote.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Another company

Here's another post I found:<br> <br> 'Aftermarket Warranty FYI <br> I just used my warranty (warrantybynet) at my local MB shop and Needed new motor mounts, blower motor, and cap&rotor. It says right in the book the cap and rotor are not covered but they paid the full amount for the other with no problems less my deductable. It turned out to be a good investment.'<br>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
and another warranty company

Here's another post:<br> <br> 'I purchased an aftermarket warranty. It covers 7 years/100K miles for about $2K. If purchased before the factory warranty expires, the 7 year period begins on the purchase date rather than the in-service date of the car. I bought mine 30 days before the factory warranty expired. So my car - a '98 E300 with 42K miles - is covered until July of 2008 or until it reaches 100K miles. The company is 'Warranty Direct.' You can get an online quote at their website: htto://www.warrantydirect.com Go for the Diamond coverage - it's the equivalent of a new car warranty. Covers everything but cosmetics & consumables (i.e. paint, brake pads, etc.)<br> <br> So far it looks as if I have done the right thing. On schedule, the car broke down in December 2001. It required $800 to repair, of which the warranty covered about $750. So far, so good.'<br>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yet another one

I'm having a good day. I found another posting for another warranty company:<br> <br> 'I found a company on the web: <br> http://www.autowarranties.com/index.shtml <br> <br> They gave me quote of $795 for Mechanical(5 yrs, 100K miles extended) and $1200 for Components (2 yrs, 24,000 miles). <br> <br> I am unsure which Mechanical and Components are of concern for the 140. I understand from a some of the members that the Evaporator and instrument cluster would be likely candidates. <br> <br> The company above claims to cover all used vehicles up to 150K miles, but I haven't made a decision to sign up yet. There are limitations to the coverage which may basically offset the advantage of having the coverage. I'll keep you folks posted if I find another deal for hi mileage 140s.'

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
1993 350 SDL Turbo Sedan

This engine is a problem with over 60,000 miles and thereafter. I was lucky to get rid of mine back in 1998 for $20,000. The dealer had it more than I did. It was covered by the 'Starmark' warranty. Do not think about buying this car unless you have another one to drive while it's in the shop. The wiring harness is made of a biodegrable insulation that 'melts' under the intense heat under the hood. This was just one of many surprises with this car. Find a 1995 E 300 Diesel sedan, non-turbo model in production then. These are bullet-proof if you don't have to own an 'S' Class sedan. I put 120,000 on the '95 with minimal service and no problems.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts