Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1990 560-SEL
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Last week my 1990 560-SEL would not upshift into gears 3 and 4. Reverse is fine, N is fine P is fine. Trans is quiet. Never a problem at all before. Had this beautiful car for 2 years. Fluid level is fine. Vac is hooked up fine to Modulator. 208K miles on her. Disconnected kick down on trans, still nothing. I am stumped. Really hope it is not the trans needing replacement. Can they go that fast without warning? Its still very quiet, just wont upshift, stays in 2nd gear always. So fustrating. Any had this before in there 126? Wondering if its worth fixing if it needs a news trans too? . . . thanks all for your help. Could it be the vacuum modulator?
This breaks my heart and wallet too . . .

·
Registered
1984 280SEL AMG
701 Posts
You say your fluid level is fine, but what color is it? If it's nice a clear red, then it good, if it's a brownesh red and has a slight burnt smell to it, then it's bad.. When was the last time you had your trans fluid changed? and the trans filter? If you drain it and you see ALOT of metel shavings in it, then you fried some clutch packs. Or your Torque converter may be clogged/bad... Hard to say as I'm not an automatic transmition mechanic ( give me standards any day all day ) but these are things to check.. do a total fluid change ( to include torque converter ) and change the filter first.. ( work from cheapest to most expensive )

Best of luck!!!
P.S. And yes, transmitions can go that fast

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
Yup...drop your pan at this point..see what's hiden in there..!

Jonathan

1 - 3 of 3 Posts