Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1991 Mercedes 300se (Virginia Car)
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to the forum, have found lots of helpful info but I'm running in circles.

The other day I was driving my 91 300se (W126) when I applied the brake the entire cluster went limp minus the economy reading, in doing so now I have no brake lamps....? Running lights working, signals working, headlights working, no brake lamps with foot on the brake.. I can survive without the cluster working however the potential of being rear ended is high and that wont fly.
Any help of any kind is appreciated at this point!
Thanks

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
17,153 Posts
Welcome to the forum to you. Be great if you could fill out your profile when you get time. Model and year is all that's needed.

Are you sure the external lights aren't working, and it's not just the cluster?

First thing to do is change all the fuses, they can look OK but have corrosion on the ends that you can't really see.

Also do check the obvious like the battery connections clean and tight.

Reactions: mramay

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to the forum to you. Be great if you could fill out your profile when you get time. Model and year is all that's needed.

Are you sure the external lights aren't working, and it's not just the cluster?

First thing to do is change all the fuses, they can look OK but have corrosion on the ends that you can't really see.

Also do check the obvious like the battery connections clean and tight.
None of the fuzes appear to have blown, some are looking pretty aged but function. Had a friend apply the brake to make sure and all the rear lights function except the brake light including the third light up top.
Absolutely baffled. The cluster came back to life briefly until I touched the brake to pull off. Poof all gone.

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
17,153 Posts
I would definitely recommend replacing all fuses and cleaning the contact holders while you're there. It's a well known source of gremlins.

Brass or copper tipped ones are best but a bit hard to find. It avoids the problem with dissimilar metal corrosion.

·
Registered
1989 300SE 239k miles
2,538 Posts
Yuuuuup. Big +1 for the fuses as a starting point. Particularly if any of them look questionable.

·
1991 500SEC Euro, 1987 560SEC Federal
5,531 Posts
Ian is correct considering your fuse description…..
I bet they are corroded considerably from the sound

MBL

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you very much guys, going to the local parts store to pick up an assortment of fuzes, hopefully my gremlins arent to grumpy.

·
Outstanding Contributor
'17 GLS450, '14 GLK250 "Grandpa's Roadster" Project Car, 350SDL (Sold)
4,017 Posts
Rotating the fuses (literally: twist them in their holders) should be part of regular maintenance. If any are the least bit loose, bend the clips to ensure they are gripped tightly.

·
Registered
W140 S320 ´95, blue black / black leather; MB 300SE '90, anthrazite grey, black leather
227 Posts
I had pretty much the same issue, a new brake light switch solved it. A bit tedious to change due to its position on the brake pedal lever; you need to stick your head into the driver's footwell to see it and so on, but in the end not that difficult.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts