Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

New to this forum. I've had several MB's in the past all of them sedans except for the last which was an ML320.

I've always had dreams of getting a convertible. Since there are so many models out across several years I thought I'd run what I'm looking for across you guys to see what your recommendations are.

I'm looking for a MB convertible that:

1 - Is less than $10k in price. Would be a weekend driver---when the weather in Minnesota permits.
2 - Model with the best reputation for the least amount of problems.
3 - Would be the easiest for a shade tree mechanic to work on.

I'm thinking with the price limit I'm setting, there would be a trade-off between model, vehicle condition and miles. By the way, I see many on the online auto web sites spanning from 300 to 500 series (are any of these series considered "better" than others?). Many of these have miles in excess of 100k to 170k. Are these high miles a "serious" consideration for a MB convertible? It did not seem so with the sedans I've had in the past. With the ML320 I had it was.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
CLK,SLK
1,181 Posts
Search the Mercedes section in eBay Motors with the word convertible and your max price. I just searched the site. You can buy this one for $10,500. Looks cool

·
Registered
2004 SL55 AMG
505 Posts
[8D]
At that price point, I have to ask how you plan to keep it running. The initial cost is probably less important than operating and maintenance costs.

M-B's are complex machines, built with expensive parts put together in ways that will tax any shade tree mechanic. The convertible top mechanism on my car reminds me of something NASA would build for the Space Shuttle, if it had a soft top. If the thing breaks, I'm sure to be looking at $1,000 to fix it. I'm a competent engineer, but one read through the shop manual section on the convertible top and I gave up; you have to make you own tool at one point in there.

Take a look at what replacement parts cost for the Benz you're looking at and you'll see what I mean.

Best of luck,
Dave

·
Registered
03' SL500
180 Posts
Serious recomendation: Mazda Miata. I've had one and driven it for 6 years without a burb. Bullet proof. Buy it and forget. I own 2 benz's now and just sold the Miata. For the amount of times you can really use the convertable I believe you'd be making a mistake with an older MB. Just food for thought. Good luck. Glenn

·
Registered
8 Posts
CLK3.GS3 - 5/14/2005 12:53 PM

Search the Mercedes section in eBay Motors with the word convertible and your max price. I just searched the site. You can buy this one for $10,500. Looks cool

I have that same car .... Identicall WOW

·
Registered
2004 SL55 AMG
505 Posts
[8D]
Thanks, Storm. More pix of it are posted in the W124 Gallery on this site.

That's quite a "harem" you have there...in Pakistan?

Cheers!
Dave

1 - 10 of 10 Posts