Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2000 CLK 430 Convertible, but my CD player is not MP3 Compatible and i do not want to keep trying to find the right rate to burn disks and all that nonsense it just doesn't work the way i want it too. So my friend suggested to buy a Flip-out, and i said why cant i just buy a newer CD player made by Sony or etc; but the guy that works at one of the shops told me he would have to rewire the whole radio system if i just bought a newer CD player, so the cheaper way would be to buy a Flip-out. Any suggestions or thoughts please help me out thank you!

·
Registered
Volvo 940GLE, GMC Suburban, Infiniti I30, Toyota Prius, VW GTI, MB SLK350, Lexus IS250
1,063 Posts
Try to find an iPod interface for your car, much more modern than a CDC.

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
2013 S550
10,928 Posts
The advice to fit an iPod may be your best bet. The Dension Gateway 500 is now available from U.S. sources in both D2B and MOST bus versions (your '00 CLK needs a D2B version). The MOST bus version has only very recently become available, but the D2B version has been marketed in Europe for a while.

I hope you'll forgive me for going beyond your question and addressing MOST bus equipment that is not relevant to your car - but there has been a fair amount of interest in iPod retrofits and their availability in the U.S. - so I'll continue for the benefit of other readers as well.

One U.S. source is Discount Car Stereo, a Virginia based company that also markets the NavTV iPod solution. For the D2B version your car needs, see GW5RD200D1 - Dension Gateway 500 Mercedes Benz D2B Interface for iPod + Auxiliary input - Accessories - iPodâ„¢ Adapters - Discount Car Stereo.com - Detail. For those who need a MOST bus solution, see GW5RMT01D1 - Dension ice>Link Gateway 500 M.O.S.T. iPod, Aux, USB Adapter - Accessories - iPodâ„¢ Adapters - Discount Car Stereo.com - Detail.

Another source is enfig.com, a New Jersey based company - see Mercedes Benz iPod. Enfig offers a lower price, but its kit does not come standard with all of the peripheral input cables that the Discount Car Stereo kit does.

I have been in contact with a Benz engineering shop in Chicago that recently became a dealership for the GW500 and has installed a MOST bus version, but is still broadening its technical support; I won't post their contact information until they say they are ready. Rob 13572468 has posted some of their developmental work at http://www.benzworld.org/forums/audio-telematics-forum/1316853-dension-most-ipod-install.html.

For those interested, information on the NavTV OPI-M for MOST bus equipped cars is at OPI-M - NavTV OPI-M 2003-07 Mercedes Benz M.O.S.T Interface for iPod - Accessories - iPodâ„¢ Adapters - Peripherals - Discount Car Stereo.com - Detail. However, the OPI-M is not for any D2B equipped car (including the '00 CLK).

The Dension Gateway 500 and the NavTV iPod adapters are similar - but the Gateway 500 allows you to keep your CD player connected, while the NavTV unit does not. Both say they will display song titles and so forth on a COMAND display but show only track number on non-COMAND radios (and on COMAND-equipped cars' instrument cluster display). However, the iPod is controllable through steering wheel buttons (if you have them) and through your normal CD controls. The Gateway 500 offers an option to maintain control using the iPod itself, but the NavTV unit does not.

However, the good news is that sales and support for the Gateway 500 is finally becoming available in the U.S. - heretofore, it has been available only through European sources, or through one site in Canada.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts