Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1990 500SL
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to find the centre star from the aircleaner (See attached pic). After seeing the price of a new aircleaner I decided I could clean mine up but the centre star in mine is gone. Does anyone know where I could get a new one or a similar one made? Or do they have them for sale seperate?

Attachments

·
Registered
1991 500SL
140 Posts
I bought one for mine, but had to order it from the dealer. Cost was a bit much, around $25.00 for a piece of plastic though. I really hated the look without it so I just ordered it anyway. Remember when you order to specify color, they come in silver or black so you are not surprised when it shows up. Mine has the silver "Mercedes Benz" on each side, but the star that arrived was black. The dealer told me that some were made that way. Since then I have seen one or two others that look like mine, but I like the all silver (Star and words) much better.
The other thing to think of is why it is missing in the first place. I never gave it much thought, just figured that it just fell out at some point. There is a lot of heat under the hood, and the top of the air cleaner may be bowed up a bit, enough to have popped the old one out. Mine was pretty tight to get in place when I installed it and on closer examination, I think it may be a bit bowed or warped. It's not much, but just enough to put pressure on the star. I put some glue on the bottom when I put mine in.

Anyway, if you need the part number, this was for my 1991: 119-094-00-18

·
Registered
1990 500SL
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I bought one for mine, but had to order it from the dealer. Cost was a bit much, around $25.00 for a piece of plastic though. I really hated the look without it so I just ordered it anyway. Remember when you order to specify color, they come in silver or black so you are not surprised when it shows up. Mine has the silver "Mercedes Benz" on each side, but the star that arrived was black. The dealer told me that some were made that way. Since then I have seen one or two others that look like mine, but I like the all silver (Star and words) much better.
The other thing to think of is why it is missing in the first place. I never gave it much thought, just figured that it just fell out at some point. There is a lot of heat under the hood, and the top of the air cleaner may be bowed up a bit, enough to have popped the old one out. Mine was pretty tight to get in place when I installed it and on closer examination, I think it may be a bit bowed or warped. It's not much, but just enough to put pressure on the star. I put some glue on the bottom when I put mine in.

Anyway, if you need the part number, this was for my 1991: 119-094-00-18
Thanks for the great info I will check with my dealer next week.

·
Greek God of the R129
SL500-500SEL-190E
8,371 Posts
Yes mine is half way out, I tried to push it in, forget it.
The heat got it smaller.
The problem is that heat makes other things get larger.
And other things get smaller.
So here is what.
The box got larger.
The poor star got smaller.
Hmmmm.
That reminds me of something, but I can't remember what.
Maybe it will come later.
Regards.
aam.

·
Registered
1990 500SL
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes mine is half way out, I tried to push it in, forget it.
The heat got it smaller.
The problem is that heat makes other things get larger.
And other things get smaller.
So here is what.
The box got larger.
The poor star got smaller.
Hmmmm.
That reminds me of something, but I can't remember what.
Maybe it will come later.
Regards.
aam.
LOL I have the same problem but in this case for $25.00 I can fix it. Actually I hear for about the same amount of money they have blue pills for the other but thats as you say another story.

·
Registered
1990 500SL
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No problem, I see your cars background is somewhere in the park -Banff area? Maybe I'll run into you on one of our pilgramages to the hills!
Good Eye it is in fact up at Lake Minnewanka. Im up there every year around the end of May to start the new driving season.

·
Registered
1990 500SL
85 Posts
I actually cut mine on the bottom and also cut two of the star ends loose and then rtv'ed it in and it looks ALSMOST like it was designed that way. It certainly looks better then it did poped up from shrinkage! I'll try to get a picture of it.

·
Greek God of the R129
SL500-500SEL-190E
8,371 Posts
LOL.
It is not bad enough that the box got larger and the star got smaller.
Now you want to circumcise the star and stick blue pills on it?
Please send a picture of it.
I am glad that we all work on the same frequencies some how. Hahaha.
Regards.
aam.

·
Registered
1990 500SL
85 Posts
I tried to post pics yesterday but with no success. I kept getting upload errors. I was trying to post a jpg file that was under the 800K size. I finally gave up. I also wanted to post a solution to the missing AC vent knob. I have been searching for one for quite some time and finally had to become innovative. Let me know if you have any ideas. If you PM me I can also send you the pics. BTW, the car only squealed a little bit during the circumcision!!!

·
Registered
Departed 1998 SL500 (and the Pano is in Bogota)
11,000 Posts
I also wanted to post a solution to the missing AC vent knob. I have been searching for one for quite some time and finally had to become innovative. !!
If you are talking about the sliding knob, I am interested as mine is broken and can't locate a simple replacement (and I don't want to replace the whole vent)

·
Premium Member
95 SL500, K&N, NEOKEN Ported TB, Custom Intake, RENNtech Sport Exhaust, AMG I Monoblocks
10,980 Posts
I tried to post pics yesterday but with no success. I kept getting upload errors. I was trying to post a jpg file that was under the 800K size. I finally gave up. I also wanted to post a solution to the missing AC vent knob. I have been searching for one for quite some time and finally had to become innovative. Let me know if you have any ideas. If you PM me I can also send you the pics. BTW, the car only squealed a little bit during the circumcision!!!
Hi poorscientist.

You may wish to see what size are your jpg files are excactly. BenzWorld allows jpg attachments at the maximum of 688.3 KB.

Personally, I use Microsoft Picture Manager to shrink or resize image files which exceed the max size allowed, then save the editied file, then attach.

Best Regards. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1990 500SL
85 Posts
Yes RKH I am. I had the same problem as you did. I'll try NEOKEN's advice and shrink again. That may have been my problem as I know I was about that size. I was sure the info said 800K but who knows what I was thinking. The pics are at home so I'll try to get a moment tonight and give you a look at my custom knob. You really can not tell the difference but it took me a good hour to build it!

·
Registered
1990 500SL
85 Posts
OK, I think I have it. For some reason I was unable to upload from my camera but from the HD is fine?? So, no laughing but here is what I have done. You can see the star looks OK unless you know what to expect like everyone here likely does. Also take a look at the knob. It's not perfect but once installed you really have to be told to notice the difference. Also, it is a time thing. You can make it as perfect as your patients permits. I started with a piece of Oak, rough sanded it, cut the grove with a die grinder and then cut to length, buffed and painted it with Krylon satin black. It beats nothing or 500 bucks for the vent assembly that MB wanted. Remember, no laughing!!

Attachments

·
Registered
Departed 1998 SL500 (and the Pano is in Bogota)
11,000 Posts
Thankyou poorscientist, I'll try to make one out of wood too. Do you have the exact dimensions off hand, as mine is gone and I don't really want to take apart the other good one to measure.

·
Greek God of the R129
SL500-500SEL-190E
8,371 Posts
OK no joke this time it looks good.
I will do it too.
Thanks. :)
Regards.
aam.

·
Registered
1990 500SL
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the pics poorscientist. I just ordered a new star from the stealer for $25.00 so now I will have to see when it shows up if my air cleaner cover has expanded or if after all just the star shrunk. It only comes in black which is a bit of a p off so I will have to find some plastic heat resistent paint for the star. Anybody have any thoughts on what paint to use?

·
Registered
1991 500SL
140 Posts
Thanks for the pics poorscientist. I just ordered a new star from the stealer for $25.00 so now I will have to see when it shows up if my air cleaner cover has expanded or if after all just the star shrunk. It only comes in black which is a bit of a p off so I will have to find some plastic heat resistent paint for the star. Anybody have any thoughts on what paint to use?
OK, so considering the billion engines out there with the Star in silver, I would have to question that it only comes in black. Maybe it is true in this case, but sometimes it seems that they can't get a part, or "its not available" until someone on this Forum finds a part number and then all of a sudden MB can get it for us:rolleyes:. I was also told that the rubber grommet on the bottom of the air cleaner is not available as a separate item, that was, until I walked in with the part number for it!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts